Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

League OPS is down so let's say 775.

How impactful is a 775 OPS weak side DH with no foot speed over a two month period?

Keep in mind that even when he's hitting well he isn't a guy that crushes lefties.

Looking at the total package even if he stays healthy and hits it's a moderate bump at best.

If you look at Eloy as being a saviour, then you're going to be let down. This trade deadline for the O's, aside from Eflin, is all about the margins.

• Eflin bumping Povich out of the rotation = improvement
  • Soto isn't great against righties, but excellent against lefties = improvement if leveraged correctly
  • Dominguez isn't great against lefties, but excellent against righties = improvement if leveraged correctly
  • Eloy isn't a great defender, but is still relatively young and has some interesting statcast numbers, if some tweaks/change of scenery means some PH/DH prowess = improvement if leveraged correctly

Rogers I'm not a fan of, but there might be some truth that he's better than Irvin (although I don't think tremendously slow). And if Suarez is truly out of gas as a starter, then it pushes him into the bullpen and pushes a bunch of others out. 

None of those acquisitions really are major changes on their own, but there is a reason why Dan Szymborski is so high on what the O's did: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zipsing-up-the-trade-deadline/

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me rostering someone that performs at the level he has thus far is risk. 

I guess I just don't calculate risk the same as you. A role player with upside isn't risky. Now, if Hyde makes him a starter in the OF, yeah that's a problem. But otherwise, it's roughly akin to people losing their mind over backup catchers or backup infielders that can only field/not hit (or vice versa). Who would you rather take those spots? I think there's something that Elias sees here, otherwise I don't think he makes the move. Now, that said, he's certainly whiffed on guys like Eloy in the past (Aguilar), but they've also done very well with others (Hicks, O'Hearn).

Chances are it doesn't work out. But risk is extremely low. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

To me rostering someone that performs at the level he has thus far is risk. 

Again we agree.  I KNOW why Elias did it-well actually I really don't lol.  I bet some of the players don't either. Plus  I much prefer teams like the Orioles of the 70s and 80s where the team was basically the same team the entire year.  I think it helps build team cohesiveness and spirit.  Bringing in a guy like this to me just kind of cheapens the team to me.  He will only be on the team for a couple months max and probably zero chance for next year.  I never thought that was good for a teams chemistry. 

And yes I know they are professionals and it shouldn't matter.  But I think on a human level it does. 

Now if he hits a 3 run homer to win a game?  I am sure all that goes out the window haha. 

18 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

No kidding.  Sure.  Let's bring in a loser from another organization over a long time Os prospect who just got crushed in the head.

I am not even saying Heston should have been on the MLB team for now, but to trade for a loser who has no ties to the organization to take his place?  Instead of calling up a Mayo?

I am VERY SURE that players on the team see this and ask themselves WTF?  And that is not good for team morale.

Elias sucks as a team builder.  Very good drafter early on.  Team builder?  He has no idea what makes a team vibe or not. 

Wasn’t that your same theory when Holliday didn’t make the team out of ST?   How that move was going to poison the clubhouse?

Just now, RZNJ said:

Wasn’t that your same theory when Holliday didn’t make the team out of ST?   How that move was going to poison the clubhouse?

Well I know that when Holliday was on the team, even with as bad as he played-and it was bad, the Os still played very well and won more than they lost.  I think they were 9-4?.  I do believe chemistry is important.  Whether in sports or the workplace or a relationship.  It matters. 

He should have been sent down of course, and I am sure his teammates could see he was over matched so I am sure they were ok with it when it happened. 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well I know that when Holliday was on the team, even with as bad as he played-and it was bad, the Os still played very well and won more than they lost.  I think they were 9-4?.  I do believe chemistry is important.  Whether in sports or the workplace or a relationship.  It matters. 

He should have been sent down of course, and I am sure his teammates could see he was over matched so I am sure they were ok with it when it happened. 

I was talking about after ST when he got sent down.  You said the team would be real unhappy because they knew it wasn’t the best 26 going north.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

League OPS is down so let's say 775.

How impactful is a 775 OPS weak side DH with no foot speed over a two month period?

Keep in mind that even when he's hitting well he isn't a guy that crushes lefties.

Looking at the total package even if he stays healthy and hits it's a moderate bump at best.

I agree Elias could’ve/should’ve done better. I think he’s d9ne a marvelous job rebuilding the franchise on and off the field. I’m not convinced he’s good at trades. I’m willing to give him a pass on the Angelos period since it’s hard to tell what he wasn’t allowed to do.

This guy has been on fire since we got him.   I didn't like the move and felt it was a wasted roster spot, and while super small SSS to this point,  but he has given the offense a shot in the arm to this point.   I'm surprised, but happy to have been wrong,  at least to this point.