O's acquire Austin Slater

Birds08

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo is BETTER than Slater, or Eloy,  or any of these acquired failures....and he's got a future. He hasn't had a long slump all year in Norfolk. Why in the hell can't this organisation give this kid a chance? Oh, yeah, because the want to retain "rookie status". What a ridiculous reason to hold the kid back.

I agree that Coby would have a good chance to outhit Slater and Eloy the rest of the way.  They got Slater because he can play all 3 outfield positions--I think Slater displaces Pache, not Coby.  Eloy is definitely the one who displaces Mayo (and Kjerstad) for now.  The question is whether it's better for Mayo's future to have him up here now as a platoon DH/PH, or to have him continue to work on defense by playing full time in Norfolk.   If Eloy doesn't hit, he'll be released and Mayo will take his place.  

I don't want to lose Pache just yet. He covers the late-inning defensive role, is under team control for three more years and with his previous prospect history, I'd like the O's to have an offseason to try to fix his hitting.

Slater is just a rental and maybe just a salary dump so we can get Soto. My guess (and hope) is Kjerstad goes down for now amidst his slump, Slater gets a quick look, and if either Slater struggles or Kjerstad is looking like himself again then Slater gets cut.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I don't want to lose Pache just yet. He covers the late-inning defensive role, is under team control for three more years and with his previous prospect history, I'd like the O's to have an offseason to try to fix his hitting.

Slater is just a rental and maybe just a salary dump so we can get Soto. My guess (and hope) is Kjerstad goes down for now amidst his slump, Slater gets a quick look, and if either Slater struggles or Kjerstad is looking like himself again then Slater gets cut.

I could see Slater clearing waivers because of the salary he is owed.  No non contending club is going to claim him.  What contender would want him?  Maybe the Giants?  It'll be interesting to see what he does. 

I think we got Slater, not knowing that Eloy was a possibility.  Eloy changed things.  

4 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

OK, so if you are saying Slater takes Kjerstad's spot on the roster, whose spot does Eloy Jiminez take?

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I could see Slater clearing waivers because of the salary he is owed.  No non contending club is going to claim him.  What contender would want him?  Maybe the Giants?  It'll be interesting to see what he does. 

I think we got Slater, not knowing that Eloy was a possibility.  Eloy changed things.  

Eloy deal was announced before the Slater deal.

I think my favorite theory so far is that Slater is a DFA guy with a high chance to clear due to his salary (similar to O'Hearn), and that we were really after Soto for the optionable SS depth. 

Edited by interloper

21 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I think you are forgetting Eloy. I don't see any way to carry Slater and Pache at the same time. 

Adley, McCann, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Eloy, Gunnar, Westburg, Holliday, Urias, Mullins, Santander, Cowser = 12. 

That leaves room for one of Slater/Pache, take your pick. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think my favorite theory so far is that Slater is a DFA guy with a high chance to clear due to his salary (similar to O'Hearn), and that we were really after Soto for the optionable SS depth. 

That seems correct to me. One of Pache/Slater has to go. Slater would seem to have the higher chance of passing through. If someone picks him up, they get his salary and we still get Soto out of it. 

The thing is, I can't see Pache starting a playoff game. Could we be looking at Mayo 3B/Westburg LF in September? 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

That could be the case. And they could have just grabbed Slater when they could right before the buzzer for just cash without even deciding in advance who to DFA between Slater and Pache, and they’re making that call now based on who they thinks clears waivers. But Slater has a 5 year track record of being a good offensive player against LHP prior to this season, and his bad numbers this season are in only 133 PA with his expected numbers being much better.

I think Slater is the better bet to be in the batter’s box against LHP for the rest of this season. Pache is maybe a better overall player with his elite defense (even though Slater is fine defensively), but with both Mullins and Cowser for CF I think they’re going to want the better projected offensive player vs. LHP.

2 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Apparently slater is a capable defender who’s actually logged a lot of innings in CF, albeit he’s below average there. 

Between Slater, Pache and Jimenez, it's Slater who appears to fit the role Elias wanted the best.  RH, can play CF, has a good track record of hitting LHP.

So, in a vacuum, I'd take him over the other two.