Cole Irvin DFA, Blake Hunt up

eddie83

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Irvin can still be traded because he was DFA'd.  The DFA is different from the old revocable waivers.  I assume Pache will be DFA'd too.  I hope we elect to get some young DSL dudes versus the Kyle Vbritskky types.  

I don't think this is right.

On 7/30/2024 at 8:06 PM, MurphDogg said:

No. He was here in case McCann needed an IL stint, but he didn't need one. He was still here when we had a roster opening with the Norby trade, so he got a day on the roster.

I'm sure it was an exciting day for him, but he will be off the roster tomorrow.

Some random internet searches on McCann and health lead me to this Twit, I mean X/Twitter post...  

I have found nothing else, heard nothing else... etc.  So obviously taking with a grain of salt.

But that leads to Blake Hunt being on the Taxi Squad still and not back with Norfolk in Charlotte.  But... I am going to take a POSITIVE spin on statistics here.

Blake Hunt is batting .149/.192/.297 (.489 OPS) with Norfolk in 20 Games.  11-74 with 33.3%K rate.   Anyone that can look at MiLB.com can see that he ripped the cover off the ball in Tacoma in the month of April.  This is what had his numbers at .293/.372/.533 (.905 OPS) 11-75 with 11.6%K rate at the trade.  His wRC+ went from 121 at Tacoma to 17 in Norfolk.

Here is the POSITIVE SPIN on that 11-74 (0.149).  Hang on... gotta stretch before a type this...  While with Norfolk, Hunt is 10-38 (.263 AVG and .552 SLG) in away games (he was 7-20 while in Scranton alone).  He is 1-36 (0.028 and this is not a mistake... I rounded up from 0.0277777) in HOME games.

So,  IF... Big IF... McCann goes down for surgery and Hunt gets into a game....  and he treats that game like an AWAY game...  he has nearly a 10X better chance of getting a hit than if he was playing in Norfolk.  

Pache was DFA'd yesterday and the Marlins have already claimed him. Since we haven't heard anything about Irvin, and he was DFA'd two days before Pache,  I wonder if that's an indication that Irvin will clear waivers.