2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

12 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

We won’t see Bradish. We should see Wells who had the internal brace procedure instead of TJ so his timeline is later next Summer.

If TJ recovery time is 9-12 months, we could see Bradish/Means post-ASB

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

If TJ recovery time is 9-12 months, we could see Bradish/Means post-ASB

They did not get the same procedure. Best case we see Wells in April/May Bradish in August. Realistically IMO Wells in June/July Bradish in 26.

1 minute ago, 1fingerwillie said:

They did not get the same procedure. Best case we see Wells in April/May Bradish in August. Realistically IMO Wells in June/July Bradish in 26.

I’d prefer we give Bradish until 2026 so the chance of a reinjury  is lower. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

So it’s a trade not a claim. Doesn’t he have to be on the roster or DFA’d again by us? Or does he have options?

I'm just pointing out the irony that you want him over Pache because you say Pache is DFA fodder

12 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Jimenez in LF scares me. I could see us riding with Slater and trying to get Pache through waivers.

That’s an option too. Slater is an awfully good platoon bat vs LHP. Pache would likely get claimed I would think. We’ll see. I do agree that Slater like stays over Pache. 

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s an option too. Slater is an awfully good platoon bat vs LHP. Pache would likely get claimed I would think. We’ll see. I do agree that Slater like stays over Pache. 

Pache will probably get claimed, but I think it’s clear now they only picked him up as a throw in when trading Hays for Domínguez because the Phillies were going to DFA Pache for Hays. He gave the Orioles a backup CF if the Orioles traded Mullins, and an option if they weren’t able to pick up Slater or equivalent. But the Orioles always wanted a better righty platoon bat replacement for Hays - which is Slater. 

That’s the only way it all makes sense, since it is impossible to roster all of Pache, Slater and Jimenez. If Mullins had been traded Pache would have stayed, but since they kept Mullins then Pache has to go. They probably also hope they can sneak him through waivers to work on adjustments in AAA, so worth picking him up for that reason if nothing else. 

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

One of Slater and Pache is staying - I think Pache is being DFA’d. In retrospect, it looks clear that he was thrown in the Hays trade because the Phillies were going to DFA him for roster space for Hays, and the Orioles wanted him as CF insurance because they would have kept him if they traded Mullins at the deadline. But with both Mullins and Cowser for CF, Slater is the better fit as a better hitter vs LHP (in theory). 

Hopefully Pache gets through waivers, because I do think he’s an interesting bench piece if they can make some adjustments offensively. But that probably has to happen in AAA - if he clears waivers and does that, maybe they add him back to the 40-man this off-season.

Kjerstad is going to have to go down for Jimenez. I’m not a fan of this at all. I suppose Kjerstad gets to play more and Jimenez is a decent buy low for a righty DH. But if they just wanted a righty DH…they have Coby Mayo. Maybe this is only a trial for Jimenez, but they definitely took on some degree of money to do it so it seems a bigger commitment than a waiver pickup.

There’s only one roster spot that will open up in September, and Mateo presumably is coming back at some point. If he doesn’t, that could be Mayo or Kjerstad - but I’d much rather see them getting ABs than Jimenez.

I love the Eflin addition, really like the RP trades, and I’m lukewarm on Rogers, even if I think Rogers was better than nothing at that point. Slater is fine, even if whatever was going on with him and Pache is weird. I’m also fine with Jimenez in theory as a speculative righty DH - but it just does not make sense to be spending money on him when it blocks Mayo (who is probably better than him right now in that role) and costs Kjerstad a roster spot. 

Isnt Mateo on the 60 day?