Post Trade Deadline Bullpen Hierarchy

Kimbrel will stay the closer because he’s the only RP (other than Webb) who doesn’t have big platoon splits. If Kimbrel pitches his way out of the role, it will end up a committee situation.

Dominguez/Soto give us another R/L pair with Cano/Perez to play matchups with. That’s pretty critical. All 4 are good RPs but need to be utilized strategically in more advantageous handedness matchups. In terms of hierarchy, they’re probably more or less interchangeable during the regular season based on availability, and whoever is pitching best by playoffs will get priority then.

Webb and Akin are the middle relievers that can eat some innings, and good enough they can handle some leverage situations if the other RPs are unavailable. Much better than most teams have in this role. Suarez the long reliever, but potential for more if he can find a few MPHs in the pen. 

It’s a quality pen, very deep, but lacking a guy as dominant Bautista and a guy as consistent as Coulombe. 

Pretty crazy they optioned Akin. Most bWAR and fWAR of any reliever on the team. 3rd best ERA, best xERA, 3rd best FIP out of relievers. I like the way Smith has pitched quite a bit, but if he has an option, I am struggling to understand why they optioned Akin over him. 

35 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Pretty crazy they optioned Akin. Most bWAR and fWAR of any reliever on the team. 3rd best ERA, best xERA, 3rd best FIP out of relievers. I like the way Smith has pitched quite a bit, but if he has an option, I am struggling to understand why they optioned Akin over him. 

Are we sure that Smith has an option?

6 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Are we sure that Smith has an option?

Seems to be some confusion on that. I get it if he doesn’t though - Akin is good but is best in low leverage situations. Would rather not lose Smith based off how he’s looked so far. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2024 at 3:13 PM, Aristotelian said:

Kimbrel was just used to protect a six run lead against the bottom of the order vs the Jays. This was Hyde's m.o. the last time Kimbrel struggled. 

Assuming everyone is rested, what is your current ranking of bullen guys to protect a one run lead? I've got: 

1. Seranthony

2. Cano

3. Kimbrel

4. Soto

5. Cionel

6. Suarez

7. Akin

Webb to the IL, Soto, Cionel, and Kimbrel are all in funks, Suarez is pitching well but called to the rotation. All of a sudden it looks like we will be needing Burch Smith for high leverage. 

1. Seranthony

2. Cano

3. Akin

4. Burch

5. Cionel

6. Kimbrel

7. Soto

8. Baker

With Seranthony and Cano pitching in most winnable games, you can see how difficult it is to sweep a series. We really need Coulombe back or for a couple of the 5-7 guys to get on track.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Webb to the IL, Soto, Cionel, and Kimbrel are all in funks, Suarez is pitching well but called to the rotation. All of a sudden it looks like we will be needing Burch Smith for high leverage. 

1. Seranthony

2. Cano

3. Akin

4. Burch

5. Cionel

6. Kimbrel

7. Soto

8. Baker

With Seranthony and Cano pitching in most winnable games, you can see how difficult it is to sweep a series. We really need Coulombe back or for a couple of the 5-7 guys to get on track.

Webb may be back in a week and help.