Offer Anthony Santander 3 year 60 million contract

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The risk with paying Santander is his new contract value being based on him having a career year power wise. Do we think Santander is more likely to repeat this year's performance or will he be more like his 2022-23 version? Odds are this is Santander's career year and while he'll be decent next season don't expect this level of production to be the norm going forward.

The idea of signing Santander to a big contract reminds me of what happened with Trumbo after leading the league in home runs in 2016. While I think Santander is likely to play better players like him tend to hit the wall fast. Also Santander isn't a very good defensive player. He's not a butcher like Trumbo, but his range his limited and that will only decline with age.

Maybe a three year deal, but I think you take the comp pick for him and invest that money in pitching and contract extensions for the younger Orioles.

Trumbo never hit the wall.  He always pulled up well short of it.

I’m fully on board with finding a way to keep Santander around a while longer — if and only if — it fits whatever the budget is that extends Gunnar and allows room for adding some pitching depth to the roster (since we know not much pitching help is on the farm).

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The risk with paying Santander is his new contract value being based on him having a career year power wise. Do we think Santander is more likely to repeat this year's performance or will he be more like his 2022-23 version? Odds are this is Santander's career year and while he'll be decent next season don't expect this level of production to be the norm going forward.

The idea of signing Santander to a big contract reminds me of what happened with Trumbo after leading the league in home runs in 2016. While I think Santander is likely to play better players like him tend to hit the wall fast. Also Santander isn't a very good defensive player. He's not a butcher like Trumbo, but his range his limited and that will only decline with age.

Maybe a three year deal, but I think you take the comp pick for him and invest that money in pitching and contract extensions for the younger Orioles.

Aaron Judge 32 years old
Shohei Ohtani 30 years old.  
So they are done, right? Wall, right? 

44 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Look at the Homerun leaders in the league, that’s why 

If you ignore literally everything except HRs, then yeah, I guess Anthony Santander is comparable to Aaron Judge and Shohei Ohtani.

If you do not ignore everything except HRs, then your comparison is laughably absurd.

(I fall into the latter camp btw)

47 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Look at the Homerun leaders in the league, that’s why 

So did Chris Davis (x2).

I like AS but sorry he doesn't compare to those guys.  His BA is not comparable, for one.  .250 career average vs. .280 for Ohtani and .290 for Judge.  And he's never OPS'd > 800 in ta full season until this year.  Judge and Ohtani did it multiple times before age 30.

3 hours ago, Birdland in NC said:

Aaron Judge 32 years old

You seriously comparing Santander to the two best hitters in MLB. I’ll trust whatever Elias decides over resigning Santander because he’s having a career year. 

4 hours ago, Birdland in NC said:

Aaron Judge 32 years old

Let’s see how they’re doing in the back half of their contracts.   The first half is usually good, unless you’re Chris Davis.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how they’re doing in the back half of their contracts.   The first half is usually good, unless you’re Chris Davis.  

I believe the reports that I have seen that show Ohatani's contact is already in the black for the full amount.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I believe the reports that I have seen that show Ohatani's contact is already in the black for the full amount.

That is taking off the field stuff into consideration.  I could believe it.  But I’m talking about on the field production, which is all that’s relevant if we are drawing parallels to Santander.  Half of Asia won’t be buying Santander merchandise.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is taking off the field stuff into consideration.  I could believe it.  But I’m talking about on the field production, which is all that’s relevant if we are drawing parallels to Santander.  Half of Asia won’t be buying Santander merchandise.  

I think if you have to look at all of it and so I'd remove Ohtani as any sort of a comp.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You seriously comparing Santander to the two best hitters in MLB. I’ll trust whatever Elias decides over resigning Santander because he’s having a career year. 

I’m pointing out that two of the best hitters in major-league baseball are over 30! People are acting like there is no life in baseball after 30.  

Edited by Birdland in NC

25 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

I’m pointing out that two of the best hitters in major-league baseball are over 30! People are acting like there is no life in baseball after 30.  

Completely one dimensional slug-only guys do not tend to age well, and Anthony Santander is exactly that, while Ohtani and Judge obviously are not.

Using their success, much of which is thanks to high-level tools that Santander simply does not possess and never will (i.e. good contact skills and good sprint speed), to support the idea of re-signing him to a massive long-term contract is extremely silly. 

14 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Completely one dimensional slug-only guys do not tend to age well, and Anthony Santander is exactly that, while Ohtani and Judge obviously are not.

Using their success, much of which is thanks to high-level tools that Santander simply does not possess and never will (i.e. good contact skills and good sprint speed), to support the idea of re-signing him to a massive long-term contract is extremely silly. 

Tony is Tom Brady-obsessive about how he takes care of his body.  But you are right about his sprint speed, he took forever to get to first base last night after that slam that lit the yards on fire.