Jimenez, Rogers and Slater activated, Soto recalled. Kjerstad and Akin optioned, Pache DFA'd, Westburg to IL

MurphDogg

Don't really understand the Slater thing, I think Pache has more upside in long term, and neither will do much for the next two months.

Hope Kjerstad is back before September 1st, still fully expect him to be on the playoff roster as a lefty pinch hitter and a potential starter against right handers at DH or in LF away from Camden Yards.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, interloper said:

No big surprises there IMO. Was between Akin option or Smith DFA, and I'm glad we utilized the option, although Akin has been fine lately. 

Yup, Akin has been fine but Smith has been better. Expect Akin to be back at some point this season.

I think Slater over Pache somewhat makes sense because he at least can PH against a LHP. You really only have one viable PH option on the bench if you decide to roll with Jimenez/Pache/McCann/Soto. At least with Slater, he can pinch hit against a LH if needed for O’Hearn/Holliday/Mullins or whoever. Pache may start against LHP’s, but he’s probably not a PH option off the bench, just a pinch runner or defensive replacement. The Jimenez trade again makes little sense and hampers a lot of their bench and defensive flexibility. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

It doesn't make my blood boil, personally. He hasn't hit since coming off IL, and he hasn't played good defense either. I think he needs to get on track in AAA and put the concussion behind him fully. 

18 at bats since coming off the DL. 

You know who else hasn't played good defense (and won't in Baltimore either, because I doubt they'll put him out there)?

The same DH/outfielder being added to the roster in favor of him. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ChuckS said:

18 at bats since coming off the DL. 

You know else hasn't played good defense (and won't in Baltimore either, because I doubt they'll put him out there)?

The same DH/outfielder being added to the roster in favor of him. 

I understand. But with Mullins and Cowser hot right now, Kjerstad isn't going to see time in LF. And they need a RH bat vs LHP. Therefore, Kjerstad out for now. 

• Upvote 1

I am tempted to say it is almost 50/50 Kjerstad will be regulated to under 130 at-bats entering 2025.

He is at 99.

Cowser, Mullins, Santander, O'Hearn and Mountcastle are ahead of him on the depth chart at all the positions, even against RHP.

For the next two weeks, moves make sense.  Akin has been heavily used since all-star break will get a bit of a blow/breather. Kjerstad will play everyday and get his hitting on track.  Reassess viability of Smith, Jimenez, Slater over next  couple weeks. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I understand. But with Mullins and Cowser hot right now, Kjerstad isn't going to see time in LF. And they need a RH bat vs LHP. Therefore, Kjerstad out for now. 

I would argue that Kjerstad can hit LHP just as well as Jimenez.  Moreover, it's more important to this team's near term and long term goals that he gets the reps.  

Kjerstad has always hit LHP, so I don't see what the issue is.  Jimenez has reverse platoon splits over this career. 

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Don't really understand the Slater thing, I think Pache has more upside in long term, and neither will do much for the next two months.

Hope Kjerstad is back before September 1st, still fully expect him to be on the playoff roster as a lefty pinch hitter and a potential starter against right handers at DH or in LF away from Camden Yards.

Slater hasn't hit this year but is a far superior offensive option to Pache.  He has a career .797 OPS against LHP.  Pache has a career .518 OPS and .698 against LHP.

Ideally neither would play much, but Pache is basically a pinch runner/defensive replacement only at this point and you can at least justify giving Slater starts over Mullins vs. LHP.  It is a much better use of a roster spot IMO. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I would argue that Kjerstad can hit LHP just as well as Jimenez.  Moreover, it's more important to this team's near term and long term goals that he gets the reps.  

Kjerstad has always hit LHP, so I don't see what the issue is.  Jimenez has reverse platoon splits over this career. 

I mean the issue is Jimenez has a years-long track record in the big leagues and Kjerstad hasn't faced all of these super tough ML lefties before. He's not hitting righties right now either. Hyde isn't going to play him vs LHP and that's just the reality of the situation. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

Slater hasn't hit this year but is a far superior offensive option to Pache.  He has a career .797 OPS against LHP.  Pache has a career .518 OPS and .698 against LHP.

Ideally neither would play much, but Pache is basically a pinch runner/defensive replacement only at this point and you can at least justify giving Slater starts over Mullins vs. LHP.  It is a much better use of a roster spot IMO. 

Is slater as good a defensive replacement? Or at least an above average cf? Prior career ops vs lefties is somewhat encouraging but hasn’t been good this year.