Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

Let's go, big guy!

Google or not according to taste, I learned today he was pretty hot after his rock bottom tough game back in May against the Phillies excellent lineup.     Since then, he's been almost 70 innings of 3.42 ERA.

Here was some BP analysis from a month ago as his run of very good pitching was really getting going.

Since that night of May 10, Rogers has made eight starts. He’s pitched to a 3.45 ERA, and not only is he starting to give Miami greater length, with four of five June starts six innings or more, he’s maintaining his velocity deeper into games as well.

“I do feel like his velo is coming back,” Schumaker told me. “It’s increasing and sustaining. He was 93-94 last inning last time out, which is really good.”

Here's how his drafting scouting director described him when he went before DL Hall among America's best high school arms that year:

Scouting director Stan Meek described the 13th overall selection in last year’s draft to reporters as a cross between Randy Johnson and Mark Mulder. “He’s kind of in the loose, lanky mold,” Meek told the Miami Herald. “We just liked how the body worked, the way the arm looked. We liked his delivery. He’s 6-foot-6, loose and a strike-thrower.”

Excited to see him in an Orioles uniform!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Interesting quote from a month ago - since then his velo has definitely NOT been returning. It’s been going the other direction. He’s averaged 91 mph his past 3 starts.

I’m going to be keeping a close eye on that, but also his pitch mix. That’s the only change that the Orioles should be able to make immediately.

This trade will look a lot better if they have a plan in mind for adjustments. Excited to see how it goes, there’s definitely some upside here for them to work with. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Interesting quote from a month ago - since then his velo has definitely NOT been returning. It’s been going the other direction. He’s averaged 91 mph his past 3 starts.

I’m going to be keeping a close eye on that, but also his pitch mix. That’s the only change that the Orioles should be able to make immediately.

This trade will look a lot better if they have a plan in mind for adjustments. Excited to see how it goes, there’s definitely some upside here for them to work with. 

Something to monitor for sure.  Seemed like O’s were able to coax extra 2-3mph out of Burch Smith almost immediately.  Not expecting similar from Rogers, just saying that Marlins may be just plain inept.

34 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Yay, got a terrible pitcher for several years and he cost an arm and a leg, what’s not to love 🤡

Stowers has K’d in his first 5 AB’s with the Marlins.

33 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Short sample size will be your doom.

The guy has a career 4.23 ERA. He's no any good. We have/had 4 othet guys in the organization that can give the same results he has and will.

We gave up 2 organization top 10 prospects for this garbage. We got fleeced!!

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Short sample size? He's been terrible for years. 

He has an eerily similar profile to Cole Irvin, only difference is that Rogers is much more of a groundball pitcher and Irvin didn't walk anyone. Elias just released Irvin, and a similar outcome with Rogers wouldn't be surprising at some point next season (Elias is too slow and stubborn to release mediocre players he acquires).

It's just as likely that we've caught Rogers at the tail end of a hot, unsustainable run - something like we saw from Irvin early this season - as it is that he'll continue anything close to his recent quality stretch of sub-3.50 ERA. Not even counting his poor outing tonight that Ramon Urias and his shoddy, overrated defense did nothing to help.

The Rogers trade is easily the worst trade Elias has made for the Orioles. It sucks that Elias made it at a time we most needed him to be making good trades.

Edited by Brooks The Great

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

He has an eerily similar profile to Cole Irvin, only difference is that Rogers is much more of a groundball pitcher and Irvin didn't walk anyone. Elias just released Irvin, and a similar outcome with Rogers wouldn't be surprising at some point next season (Elias is too slow and stubborn to release mediocre players he acquires).

It's just as likely that we've caught Rogers at the tail end of a hot, unsustianable run - something like we saw from Irvin early this season - as it is that he'll continue anything close to his recent quality stretch of sub-3.50 ERA. Not even counting his poor outing tonight which Ramon Urias and his shoddy, overrated defense did nothing to help.

The Rogers trade is easily the worst trade Elias has made for the Orioles. It sucks that Elias made it at a time we most needed him to be making good trades.

Fedde or Flaherty would probably have been better, but it's pretty clear Elias tried to avoid rentals.  I'm surprised we dumped Irvin.  I did not see that coming because I agree it's possible Rogers may not end up being better than Irvin, while Irvin may go on a quality streak again.