I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Hooray, hooray, hooray!     Various reactions:

@Roy Firestone, feel better sir!    I'm glad to get to share this place and the joy of Orioles baseball.    There was a time I might have said to family or friends that Joan Jett or Pat Sajak were the "famous" Orioles fans, but you are #1 like Jackson Holliday on a prospect list.

I doubt this occurs without the Westburg injury, but that was the same alchemy with Adolis Garcia that brought Evan Carter to fame.   

I think I hope the roster move is a Ramon Urias DFA.    Apart from the fact I think Elias likes Livan Soto and he is more of a fit on the org depth chart in Norby's absence, I hope Urias gets the chance to play much of Aug/Sep to show his value to the league.    Tonight even if retained I think only the smallest chance Elias tenders him for 2025 with the automatic Arb2 bump.    I even accept the risk if Toronto grabs him as an upgrade on their current options Monday.   

Rookie Integration Tax, I don't care if he is 2-for-20 or 4-for-40 or 8-for-80.    Top tier talents win championships.    He is a far better aimed shot at that than any of the alternatives.     His A, B, C and D swings I bet all reach the Crawford Boxes easy if he has a moment with Framber or Kikuchi or Hader this fall.    I believe ROI for the org conferring this 2nd month of reps in preparation for whatever Game 1 the Orioles end up in has some chance to beat constraining him to 1 month whether the Game 1 opponent is Pablo Lopez in the ALWC or Gerrit Cole in the ALDS.

It is all here but Basallo now if we restrict Kjerstad to RF.     I'm at peace with "The Ryans" playing 1B/DH over Kjerstad in a way I wasn't with the contingency of Urias being a priority play over Mayo.    I'm even hopeful this is Elias giving some red meat to the many other championship caliber players in his clubhouse Winning is gaining leverage on Efficiency.

Why would they DFA Urias? Already short on infield depth. 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That Urias play might have looked bad but not too many ML players are staying in front of a 105 mph one hopper in-between-hops.  I think even most SS play that off to the side.   I don’t think Urias has been good defensively by any means but I certainly wouldn’t DFA a perfectly fine utility guy and use that play as the final straw.

I hope nobody is talking about DFA Urias. I would have walked out on the field and pulled him last night. If McCann can take 95 off the nose then a 100 mph grounder off your leg is fair game. This team needs a message that we get in front of ground balls. Rogers may have pitched Naylor completely different with Ramirez on first leading to different result. 

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I hope nobody is talking about DFA Urias. I would have walked out on the field and pulled him last night. If McCann can take 95 off the nose then a 100 mph grounder off your leg is fair game. This team needs a message that we get in front of ground balls. Rogers may have pitched Naylor completely different with Ramirez on first leading to different result. 

McCann tried to get out of the way of the 95 mph fastball like any sane human would do.   Most ML fielders would not have tried to take that ball off their chest.   

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That Urias play might have looked bad but not too many ML players are staying in front of a 105 mph one hopper in-between-hops.  I think even most SS play that off to the side.   I don’t think Urias has been good defensively by any means but I certainly wouldn’t DFA a perfectly fine utility guy and use that play as the final straw.

I know the side-saddle is common these days. My understanding of how it is coached is so they can see it better. But on a shot like that, no time. Gotta square it up and keep it in front of you.

His body language is awful these days. And really, he’s not good at any other infield spot other than 3B, maybe 1B. He’s not been very productive, certainly not more than Mayo will be. In fact, I would say when Mayo comes up today, he may struggle for a few weeks. However, his production during his struggles will be the same or better than Urias.

I have been a defender of his since he came up, but he seems a shadow of his former self. I hope it’s time. 

Just now, RZNJ said:

McCann tried to get out of the way of the 95 mph fastball like any sane human would do.   Most ML fielders would not have tried to take that ball off their chest.   

That’s why the message is ours don’t. I don’t care if it was Gunnar or Holiday. When you start out in tee ball you get in front of ground balls. We aren’t making business decisions anymore. These games are for home field advantage in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I know the side-saddle is common these days. My understanding of how it is coached is so they can see it better. But on a shot like that, no time. Gotta square it up and keep it in front of you.

His body language is awful these days. And really, he’s not good at any other infield spot other than 3B, maybe 1B. He’s not been very productive, certainly not more than Mayo will be. In fact, I would say when Mayo comes up today, he may struggle for a few weeks. However, his production during his struggles will be the same or better than Urias.

I have been a defender of his since he came up, but he seems a shadow of his former self. I hope it’s time. 

He had a .940 OPS in July.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe you’re right, I don’t think so on that particular play right at him. I have nothing to point to except what my observations have been. 

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

They’re only stats but Ramon was a +4 DRS and a +2 OAA in very limited time at 2B last year.   He’s slipped but I think he’s a perfectly fine backup at both spots and a perfect caddy for Mayo at 3B.

Wow!  Impressive!  Uncle Roy will be happy!

I thought Elias would wait a week or two (or whatever 45 days is).  If he hits, he stays.  Maybe depends on Westburg's recovery too.  Dog fight chasing a dog pile!

In my mind, this speaks to the rotation concerns as much as anything else.

Livan Soto's gotta be the corresponding move right?  (Sorry if that's been discussed)

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

That’s why the message is ours don’t. I don’t care if it was Gunnar or Holiday. When you start out in tee ball you get in front of ground balls. We aren’t making business decisions anymore. These games are for home field advantage in the playoffs.

I think they don’t hit the ball as hard in tee ball but I never played it and kids are getting stronger all the time so …….

• Haha 1

It's about time and I hope he gets consistent playing time.  I'd like him to get any rookie adjustment out of the way before the postseason.

I'd be shocked if they DFA'd Urias and they shouldn't.  He fits well on the roster being able to spell Holliday at 2B and Mayo at 3B if they decide to give Mayo some run at 3B.  Also, I'm a huge Mayo fan but I wouldn't be so confident he is going to outpace Urias' 102 OPS+ over the next two months.   Urias had an awful April but has been pretty good offensively since then.