They Can't Hit. They Can't Field. They Can't Pitch. What Is Going On?

ORIOLE33

Last night, huge starting pitching advantage.  O's have Carrasco on the ropes, can't really break through.  Then we have Kremer giving up a bases loaded walk to a guy hitting .205.  The 4 balls were not even close, its like Kremer was afraid to pitch to him.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chromehill said:

Last night, huge starting pitching advantage.  O's have Carrasco on the ropes, can't really break through.  Then we have Kremer giving up a bases loaded walk to a guy hitting .205.  The 4 balls were not even close, its like Kremer was afraid to pitch to him.  

Kremer’s better than Carrasco but he’s still pretty bad himself, which has been one of their major problems. 

2 hours ago, Chromehill said:

Rogers must have given him inside info, he walked him at a critical point the day before.  

Just so many injuries... and rookies... and new faces

I'm not panicking yet, but I'm definitely concerned. Hyde and his staff have to level up these players, get them focused and playing well again. 

Apparently defense cam take a few days/weeks off.  

A few hard hit balls at people weren't fielded (Gunnar has 2, Holliday had 1) and that blooper over Mayo was tough too.  Got a little lucky on throws to the plate in the same Mayo play and the Santa throw as well.  Feels like those things are happening more the last few weeks.

Kremer visibly lost composure at key times too.

But I'm not worried about hitting or defense.  I believe those will be fine. It's all about what the pitching does.

27 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Just so many injuries... and rookies... and new faces

I'm not panicking yet, but I'm definitely concerned. Hyde and his staff have to level up these players, get them focused and playing well again. 

I would argue the young guys/rookies have shown more talent and played better than the vets. The wave of vets (outside of Santander) that got us through the rebuild- Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle, Urias- have plateaued or gotten worse. I know you can never go with an all rookie lineup, but I feel more confident with those guys at the plate than the aforementioned 4.

Hays has already been moved. Mounty/O'Hearn should probably be in a strict platoon most of the time. Mullins should probably not be an every day guy. Urias should be a utility guy at best, and probably not on the team if we have Mateo available. And of course, the pitching cannot be as bad as it has been if we have any hope of contending. I am still hopeful that the deadline moves will be an improvement for our pitching. 

Remains to be seen if we can turn this thing around, but it has been a pretty significant lull in play over the past 40 games. 

16 minutes ago, Winter said:

at least our pets heads aren’t falling off, yet…. okay thats my my poor dumb & dumber line response to the title. 

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Can OP please insert “our pet’s heads are falling off” into the title after “They can’t pitch”.  

I'm still waiting for the thread title to change....

our lineup is just dead. We got 4 hits last night and 4 hits the night before. I'm not saying we should blame Hyde, but he is the manager. We are 12-19 in the last 31 games. Gunnar hasn't hit a HR since July 15th and has made 18 errors. Adley has done nothing at the plate. I keep waiting for our team to catch fire. Night after night it's the same thing. As Oriole 33 said. We can't hit field or pitch. It may only get worse as the season goes on.

Edited by mrbig1