Is Brandon Hyde the Orioles version of Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors

Deadwood Fan

Brandon Hyde's Future   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles make a managerial change after this season if they dont make the playoffs or have a quick exit in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/24 at 06:37

I love Hyde as a baseball guy, but I think the young players need a firebrand who will aggressively push them to be better while also going nuclear on anybody who gets in their way (such as bad umpires). Really tired of him playing bystander while his kids get screwed by home plate umpires. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe
  • Like 1

There is a reason that teams use one manager during the rebuild and losing seasons and another one once they become competitive again…

Answer this question honestly:

- If the Orioles were about to begin a 7 game playoff series with the Yankees who do you feel would give them the best chance to win that series as a manager?: 

Brandon Hyde 

or 

Joe Maddon/ Craig Counsell/ Davey Johnson type….

Experience matters. 
Hyde is very poor as a strategic in-game manager. He is one of the worst at handling a bullpen.

He has lost the team. Bottom line 

I said a couple of weeks ago that Hyde was just supposed to be a manager in between the Os sucking and tanking, and actually being good.

I was poo poo'd for that by many.  But the facts remain. 

He was fine at what he did when they sucked.  A coach who could keep things going without taking any blame for the poor play and who could keep things civilized. 

But now that they are better?  He is not the manager to take them to the next level.  He just isn't. 

He is too passive in all ways.  Player fundamentals have gone to hell and he doesn't protect his players enough.

• Like 1

I answered no, but it’s a compound question.  I definitely don’t think they should fire Hyde if they make the playoffs but have an early exit.   If they don’t make the playoffs at all, the question becomes more dicey.   I’d have to see how the rest of the season played out to give a more definitive answer to that.  

At present it appears the “cut line” for a wild card spot will be somewhere between 12-18 games over .500.   The O’s are at 19 games over .500.  To miss the playoffs, they’ll probably have to continue playing sub-.500 ball the rest of the season.  That would be pretty bad and would warrant a hard look at Hyde.   

Edited by Frobby

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that Hyde was just supposed to be a manager in between the Os sucking and tanking, and actually being good.

I was poo poo'd for that by many.  But the facts remain.

The only fact here is that you have no idea what Elias was thinking when he hired Hyde.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

If we (hopefully not) have an epic collapse and don't make the playoffs, yes I think Hyde should be fired. Sure there are excuses like all the injuries, but, we are playing fundamentally bad baseball right now and a lot of that is coaching. Right now the team seems lost and that's when a manager needs to right the ship.

7 hours ago, Bruce510 said:

There is a reason that teams use one manager during the rebuild and losing seasons and another one once they become competitive again…

- If the Orioles were about to begin a 7 game playoff series with the Yankees who do you feel would give them the best chance to win that series as a manager?: 

Brandon Hyde 

or 

Experience matters. 
Hyde is very poor as a strategic in-game manager. He is one of the worst at handling a bullpen.

I like Hyde, but yes his in game strategy is questionable. But the GM does not give him good bullpen options. The injuries, bullpen, and meshing all these young guys is not easy. Problem is this: who is out there with a track record that would be better? I can't think of anyone.

8 hours ago, Bruce510 said:

Brandon Hyde 

or 

Experience matters. 

Bruce Bochy