8/4 @ Cleveland, Burnes vs Williams

SilverRocket

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

He and Mayo are looking like automatic outs in the 7 an 8 spots here.    Weak grounders a high % of the time, Cedric throws in some popups for variety.    Thank goodness we have Holliday at 9 so the opposing pitcher can't coast throught he bottom 3.

I'll bet we see Slater get a start over Mullins vs a righty at least once in Toronto.

Its easy to rip Coby..he's had an awful day...but he's had like 12 major league at bats...any chance you can see the difference between that and Mullins full season at the plate? I guess not...

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Go with an arm that doesn’t have platoon splits. It’s the bottom of the lineup. I’m not sure Soto is in trust territory, yet.

We don't have enough relievers in "trust" territory to cover all the critical innings, that's the bullpen we have right now.

So you use the guys you have in situations you think are best for them.   And Soto with L-R-L due,  near the bottom of the order, with a 3 run lead, is such a spot.

You can't manage out of fear.   Fans talk about "trusting" relievers.   Managers thinkg about putting the 26 guys they have to work with in the places where they are best suited.   Sure, if a guy isn't doing well, you fear he may not do the job.   But the solution to that is 1) the GM should get better players, or 2) you just hope you get the best effort you can out of him.   You can't just not use guys that are on the roster.

A 3 run lead in the 6th is a medium to medium high leverage situation.   It is not a game-critical situation.

• Upvote 3

Just now, SteveA said:

We don't have enough relievers in "trust" territory to cover all the critical innings, that's the bullpen we have right now.

So you use the guys you have in situations you think are best for them.   And Soto with L-R-L due,  near the bottom of the order, with a 3 run lead, is such a spot.

You can't manage out of fear.   Fans talk about "trusting" relievers.   Managers thinkg about putting the 26 guys they have to work with in the places where they are best suited.   Sure, if a guy isn't doing well, you fear he may not do the job.   But the solution to that is 1) the GM should get better players, or 2) you just hope you get the best effort you can out of him.   You can't just not use guys that are on the roster.

A 3 run lead in the 6th is a medium to medium high leverage situation.   It is not a game-critical situation.

That’s fair.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Its easy to rip Coby..he's had an awful day...but he's had like 12 major league at bats...any chance you can see the difference between that and Mullins full season at the plate? I guess not...

Roy, I think we’re all just ribbing you a little bit. 😂

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

Yeah, I was just talking about right now.

It's a small sample, I know.   We won't start talking about sending him back down until he's got a much bigger sample of at bats, like maybe 36.