Orioles sign Jean Segura

eddie83

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Like I said in another post.  He is throwing darts at a dartboard and seeing what sticks.  No plan.

Just.....randomness.  He makes some of the worst signings I have seen in MLB.  Just brutal.  And he seems to have an affinity for Dominican and Latin guys. 

Chris Ballard of the Colts, who I love even more than the Os as a team, started to do the same after a few years.  Just signed all these random guys.

He has not won a division title in 9 years. 

It is called "I have no idea what I am doing besides taking the top talent in the draft....other than that I am clueless. I really hope it works out". 

That is his "plan".

He is filling holes with guys that have major league experience.  Norfolk has lost Mayo, Holliday, Norby, Stowers, Kjerstadt in the last 15 days so you either promote guys from AA or sign guys to fill in.  No one in Bowie has played well enough to get the call up.  

• Upvote 3

58 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He is filling holes with guys that have major league experience.  Norfolk has lost Mayo, Holliday, Norby, Stowers, Kjerstadt in the last 15 days so you either promote guys from AA or sign guys to fill in.  No one in Bowie has played well enough to get the call up.  

This.

2 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

Santander (rule 5 pick) and O'Hearn (took a flyer on) are both integral parts of the O's.  Didn't Elias rescue Hicks last year who certainly helped for a stretch?  Has Eloy been a boon so far?  This narrative that Elias is an idiot befuddles me.

Santander was picked by the previous regime but your statement about the narrative still rings true.  It is too early to grade the deadline trades but Eflin may be the best starter acquired.  We will see what not trading the top 4 prospects in our system does for us in the long run.  Mike Elias is one of the best GM’s in baseball.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, accinfo said:

Santander was picked by the previous regime but your statement about the narrative still rings true.  It is too early to grade the deadline trades but Eflin may be the best starter acquired.  We will see what not trading the top 4 prospects in our system does for us in the long run.  Mike Elias is one of the best GM’s in baseball.  

Absolutely.  Thank you for the correction on Santander.  I like to think I'm  a big time O's fan and one reason I enjoy this site is talking Birds baseball with some REAL experts!

I will say this again.  I will never take success for granted and just want to enjoy the ride.  Every supposed big time team has suffered stretches of bad baseball.  Week ago the Guardians were the toast of the baseball world and now the are struggling.  It is looking likely that no team this year will reach 100 wins.

• Upvote 1

Every team signs guys to minor league deals on occasion.  Most moves aren't earth shattering. I think the people who want to criticize Elias for a move like this, one that doesn't cost very much in money or prospects,  just don't understand the game.

This is Elias trying to answer the question "What if Urias gets injured?"   First he tried Mayo at 3B and there is some work to do there.  Next Davis and now Segura.   He is just putting alternatives together in case they are needed.

Edited by wildcard
  • Thanks 1