Excellent article on Os hitting development

Sports Guy

Who are the project picks that have gone from "present power guys" that they improved their launch angle and swing decisions to make them good big leaguers? 

Zach Watson, Hudson Haskins, John Rhodes, Jud Fabian, Max Wagner, Anthony Servideo, Carter Young, and Silas Ardoin probably all fit into this category. I'm struggling to see some amazing secret sauce.

The guys that have made it and done well at the major league level were all very high draft picks that were valued highly by most other evaluators/organizations. Ortiz was a great pick, but he remade himself over COVID and showed back up a different guy. Let's not forget that he was also not valued very highly and treated like a spare part last year when they played Adam Frazier over him.

I'm not saying the Orioles are terrible at development, but until I see a project guy suddenly turn it around after being drafted, I'm not going to brag about some secret sauce.

I think of Gunnar Henderson as the Mona Lisa of the player development gallery - Henderson, Mayo, Basallo, and now maybe Stiven are guys any Club can get any year.

What is short box?    I suppose it is just pitching live BP from 30-40 feet so any 31 year old can simulate Zack Wheeler, but not sure if there is more to it than that.

Making practices competitive and gamifying everything, I about 30% suspect the Baysox coaches are keeping track of their xFIP against Samuel Basallo.