Watching Cedric

wildcard

27 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Agree - I think if plan is to put Mayo at DH, we’d be better optimizing his value by trading him.

Well said if Hes DH, Hes not worth much, He is no where ready to be a 3B RH or 1B. Only 22 but a lot to do, but not at thislevel.

I think you hope to get Mayo a lot of first base reps in Norfolk now. Then if that looks good, you trade Mountcastle for a decent return and pick up O’Hearns option.

I have no doubt that Westburg is the third baseman, Gunnar at SS with Holiday at second. To me, that’s a done deal. Hoping that Mayo becomes the primary 1st baseman. Cowser is best in LF, and is among the best LFers in the game defensively. I bring back Cedric to play CF. I’m guessing that they put the QO on AS, and he leaves in Free Agency. So, Kjerstad gets the lions share of Rf. O’ Hearn is the primary DH, and we will see who they scrounge up as a RH DH.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe. Maybe not to beginning his career.   Depends on how he hits.

No question, he will have to perform. I just think the “plan A” is to have him play every day regardless of pitcher. Rather than easing him in and hiding him against lefties. That is pretty much how they are treating him right now.

40 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I’m not suggesting. Mayo at DH at all. I think more likely is Mayo at 1b and O’Hear.n at DH with a RH option added to platoon with. 

That's where Eloy might fit 2025 if the choice becomes keep O'Hearn and move Mountcastle.    Eloy might take a pillow contract about Jordan Lyles' size to build his market should he feel BAL represents value to him.

I think Mountcastle fits better than O'Hearn though with LH Holliday replacing RH Urias and LH Kjerstad replacing SH Santander.

Not hard to picture either of Mountcastle or O'Hearn as the Lee May to Mayo's rookie Eddie DH/1B role next season.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe. Maybe not to beginning his career.   Depends on how he hits.

Holliday should have fresh legs for mid-August with the down time earlier this year.    I think today I basically hope he is 40 out of 40 closing it out.    We'll see when the Mets lefties show up next week.

Juan Soto famously beat Josh Hader in a big spot at the beginning of WSN's championship run, and Hader and Soto might rematch this fall.   Holliday won't be Juan Soto but I think he will be the kind of LH bat who stays in against baseball's Haders in future postseasons.

And probably this one if the circumstance arises.    That will be an exciting at bat.

90+% odds Cedric will be back.  If his market value is $8m and arb is $10m, you don't roll the dice IMO on a replacement. 

O'Hearn is back too.  $7.5 for a good strong side platoon who can field a shallow org position at 1B is solid.

Mateo is back too I think.

Plus Adley, Holliday,  Gunnar, Westy, and Cowser.  Mayo and HK get a near full time shot at some point, maybe OD.  That makes 10.

Backup C - could be McCann.  Probably one of the AAA guys (whoever matches up with Adley best)

Santa? Probably QO.  But resigning him is possible.  I'd position a front loaded guarantee with tail end incentives.  Worst case is after 2 years he's more tradable. 

If you have Santa and Mateo, then no need for a RHH OF.  If not, then maybe Slater.

Mounty has a roll if not traded.  Urias has the longest odds of returning. 

If Cedric isn't back, then it brings in a ton more OF questions for 2025.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

90+% odds Cedric will be back.  If his market value is $8m and arb is $10m, you don't roll the dice IMO on a replacement. 

O'Hearn is back too.  $7.5 for a good strong side platoon who can field a shallow org position at 1B is solid.

Mateo is back too I think.

Plus Adley, Holliday,  Gunnar, Westy, and Cowser.  Mayo and HK get a near full time shot at some point, maybe OD.  That makes 10.

Backup C - could be McCann.  Probably one of the AAA guys (whoever matches up with Adley best)

Santa? Probably QO.  But resigning him is possible.  I'd position a front loaded guarantee with tail end incentives.  Worst case is after 2 years he's more tradable. 

If you have Santa and Mateo, then no need for a RHH OF.  If not, then maybe Slater.

Mounty has a roll if not traded.  Urias has the longest odds of returning. 

If Cedric isn't back, then it brings in a ton more OF questions for 2025.

So you are saying Mounty, O'Hearn, Mayo and Westy all back.  How does that work?  Who gets the playing time?

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

McCann is not a good hitter but the pitching staff likes throwing to him and he is a team leader.  That is pretty valuable for a backup catcher.

Urias and Mateo are bench players.   I don't see either one of they making more than 3-3.5m if that.  Mateo speed is very valuable.  Urias' return is iffy.

You can find another back up C that players like throwing too.

Mateo and Urias are making close to 3M this year..they will be more next year.

Teoscar Hernandez is a UFA this off season. He'll be 32 to start the season. .269/.333/.498 with 26 HRs/26 2Bs/ 80 RBI in LA in 2024 so far. He's averaged 27 Hrs the last 5 years (not counting 2020) and had success in the AL East. He has played both corner OF spots this year in LA and is an average to slightly below average defender by the metrics (DRS -2, UZR= 1.1, OAA = -8). He is getting paid 1/$23 M this year with $8.5M deferred. 

He wants to stay in LA but he's a good fit for the O's in search of a RH OF with power. Does he turn down 5/$100M with incentives? Would you spend Rubenstein's money that way?

Edited by Jim'sKid26
spelling

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You can find another back up C that players like throwing too.

Mateo and Urias are making close to 3M this year..they will be more next year.

Urias is making 2.1m and Mateo 2.7m.  As bench players their increases will be small.   Especially with Mateo spending time on the IL and their overall offensive production being low. Urias 688 OPS and Mateo 668 OPS.

Edited by wildcard

28 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Teoscar Hernandez is a UFA this off season. He'll be 32 to start the season. .269/.333/.498 with 26 HRs/26 2Bs/ 80 RBI in LA in 2024 so far. He's averaged 27 Hrs the last 5 years (not counting 2020) and had success in the AL East. He has played both corner OF spots this year in LA and is an average to slightly below average defender by the metrics (DRS -2, UZR= 1.1, OAA = -8). He is getting paid 1/$23 M this year with $8.5M deferred. 

He wants to stay in LA but he's a good fit for the O's in search of a RH OF with power. Does he turn down 5/$100M with incentives? Would you spend Rubenstein's money that way?

No, that would be insane.  If I’m tossing 5/$100 mm to a corner OF, I’m giving it to the 30-year old Santander, not the 32-year old Hernandez.  And I probably don’t want to sign either one for that.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

No, that would be insane.  If I’m tossing 5/$100 mm to a corner OF, I’m giving it to the 30-year old Santander, not the 32-year old Hernandez.  And I probably don’t want to sign either one for that.  

I'm not sure it's insane because Hernandez will likely get paid though 5/$100M might be more than the market. I'm not good guessing FA salaries. Though I wonder what Santander ends up getting.

The post was to respond to SG who was talking in one of his posts about "I think you can either upgrade from him with a bigger name..." Hernandez is one of the top FA OF available in 2025 who hits from the right side. He's a good fit skillset wise but may not be from a financial standpoint, I agree. I don't see them signing any FA position players in the near future. Just trying to add to the dialog...