Roster moves 8-22-24 (3 up, 3 down)

eddie83

Riddle me this O'hangout

Last year we won the AL East and Norfolk won the AAA world series

This year every team in the system is under water, we have promoted some "studs" traded others

and now we need to fill the roster with

castoffs, and rejects from around baseball.

How could we have this allegedly #1 system and a first place team and end up in this situation

We have had injuries but as Frobby pointed out not so much in the bullpen.

It's beginning to feel like our window is closing even before it opened as we will need to replace at least 1/2 our pitching staff by next year,

and don't even suggest that Bautista is a sure thing to come back as the dominant guy he was for 5 months

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Heaven forbid the new infielder to come up is Coby Mayo. Why not let the kid hit as a DH and se if he can give us a spark?

Mayo has nothing to do with this teams current issues. The new infielder is a utility guy.  

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Riddle me this O'hangout

This year every team in the system is under water, we have promoted some "studs" traded others

How could we have this allegedly #1 system and a first place team and end up in this situation

It's beginning to feel like our window is closing even before it opened as we will need to replace at least 1/2 our pitching staff by next year,

and don't even suggest that Bautista is a sure thing to come back as the dominant guy he was for 5 months

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom before the 2025 season starts, but there's a lot of work for the front office to do before opening day. 

Years of control slip by pretty quickly in the sports world. 

50 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

If we had anywhere near a full compliment of players, this is a fantastic team. But you also have to be realistic.

At a point though, not having Bautista, Coloumbe, Wells, Eflin, Rodriguez, Means, Bradish, Westburg etcetera is too much to overcome. Adley is either hurt or slumping badly. Mountcastle has lost his power stroke.

Does all that mean we can't turn it around? No. All I said was that with all of that adversity making the playoffs would be impressive. Making the WS with those difficulties would be otherworldly.

Side note. Telling people they're crazy because they don't agree with you is a bit silly.

Telling someone they're crazy is just a euphimism for disagreeing with what I think is an unreasonable take. Feel free to feel it's silly, I think it's just a normal message board exchange.

Coulombe, Eflin, Westburg, and Grayson could all be back, and there has been no word from the team stating otherwise. When any of them come back, the equation changes. If all of them do, it's a different team than the one taking the field tonight.

This season has been defined by the parity of all the contending teams. There are no dominant teams on pace to win 105+ games as there usually are in most other seasons. To claim that this team doesn't have a World Series contending roster, and to suggest the organization no longer has aspirations of winning a World Series, when the team is less than 2 games out from the division lead is absolutely absurd. That's my opinion, and one of the purposes of this board is to share opinions.

5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom before the 2025 season starts, but there's a lot of work for the front office to do before opening day. 

Years of control slip by pretty quickly in the sports world. 

Think it's less about years of control and more about ownerships (previous) unwillingness to song longer term deals effectively ruining Elias and team's ability to not just future plan but constantly overpay for short term fixes/moonshots. 

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Think it's less about years of control and more about ownerships (previous) unwillingness to song longer term deals effectively ruining Elias and team's ability to not just future plan but constantly overpay for short term fixes/moonshots. 

Possibly. This off season should give fans some insight into what direction ownership will allow. That's of course assuming that Elias is willing to accept some risk.

• Upvote 1

I'll worry about next year come October or November. And, yes, Elias has his work cut out for him. Give me a competative team and I'll take my chances. I don't care who you have or who you sign, there are no guarentees. We've gone from World Series or Bust to can we even get to the playoffs in 6 weeks. My wife watches now and asks, "Who is that guy?" That's the caption for this season - Who Is That Guy?

37 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Riddle me this O'hangout

The prospect mavens were looking at the top of our prospect heap and (correctly) salivating over Cowser, Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad and Basallo.  But perhaps they should have dinged our system somewhat for being unbalanced, with lots of great position player prospects and very few pitching prospects to get excited about.  

33 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Possibly. This off season should give fans some insight into what direction ownership will allow. That's of course assuming that Elias is willing to accept some risk.

Nowhere to go but up. Can't build a sustainable, repeatable, predictable (semi) team on 1 year deals. Your talent pool dramatically reduces, but also it forces you to do some ridiculous things at trade deadlines to make up for deficiencies. 

Credit to Elias for not being too proud to option Rogers. I respect that. The guy is doing what he can with this roster. It mostly looks like desperation flailing, but the moves make sense. 

- Take the worst offender out of the rotation
- Find a way to platoon Holliday at 2B without Mateo or Westburg available
- Get a couple fresh arms in the bullpen until Akin is back tomorrow and send Vespi packing again

That's all he can do right now. Massage the margins while waiting for the IL guys to come back. 

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Telling someone they're crazy is just a euphimism for disagreeing with what I think is an unreasonable take. Feel free to feel it's silly, I think it's just a normal message board exchange.

Coulombe, Eflin, Westburg, and Grayson could all be back, and there has been no word from the team stating otherwise. When any of them come back, the equation changes. If all of them do, it's a different team than the one taking the field tonight.

This season has been defined by the parity of all the contending teams. There are no dominant teams on pace to win 105+ games as there usually are in most other seasons. To claim that this team doesn't have a World Series contending roster, and to suggest the organization no longer has aspirations of winning a World Series, when the team is less than 2 games out from the division lead is absolutely absurd. That's my opinion, and one of the purposes of this board is to share opinions.

Again, I simply said that with the attrition, making the playoff would be impressive. Obviously every team aspires to be in the World Series. We'll see how this all plays out. 

You clearly weren't reading what I wrote as intended.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Heaven forbid the new infielder to come up is Coby Mayo. Why not let the kid hit as a DH and se if he can give us a spark?

I think he needs another week or so to keep his ROY eligibility. He should be back when rosters expand.