Celebrating Nick Markakis

Frobby

I remember a friend and I having some heated debates to pass boredom while driving late at night about Nick. I always felt he could have been so much better but looking back he was just right.  A heck of a good RF'er and a big loss the year CC hit him.

Congratulations to him on an excellent career. 

On 8/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, Frobby said:

Nick Markakis will be inducted into the Orioles Hall of Fame today, and I’m thrilled about it. He’s easily one of my top ten favorite all time Orioles.  Not one of the ten best, just one of the ten I liked the most.   

A big part of it has to do with the timing of Nick’s arrival.  He was our one successful first round pick in a desert of first rounders: Beau Hale (2000), Mike Smith (2001), Adam Loewen (2002), Wade Townsend (2004) Brandon Snyder (2005) and Billy Rowell (2006) were our top picks in the three years before and the three after Nick.  Is  it any wonder that I sometimes thought of Nick as The Boy Who Lived?

Unlike all these players, Nick progressed very smoothly through the minors, stayed healthy, and showed no major weaknesses.   

The other thing about the timing of Nick’s arrival is that it came immediately on the heels of the horrific 2005 season where the Orioles had gotten off to a hot start, began to stumble, experienced the Raffygate scandal and then utterly collapsed in humiliating fashion.  The team desperately needed a breath of fresh air and a new player to excite the fans, and Nick was the guy who did it.  

For his first three years, Nick had the look of a budding superstar, but that never really materialized.  Instead, what we got was a player who was steady as a rock, who showed up to play every day, who virtually never gave away an at bat, who nearly never made a physical or mental mistake in the field, and who never, ever called attention to himself.  And you know what?  That was more than enough for me.  It was a privilege to watch him in an Orioles uniform for nine years.  

Nick will give his induction speech before the crowd today.  It probably won’t be long, or clever, or that interesting.  You know what?  I don’t care one whit.  He was a great Oriole and he holds a very special place in my heart.  

Well said @Frobby  He was solid.  He played hard.  He was a steady presence in the outfield and a doubles machine for much of his career, and he gave us plenty to be proud of as O's fans.  I always thought he was under-appreciated by too many fans. 

Edited by BRobinsonfan

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

21 10 Eutaw St was a fun promotion. 

History may remember Markakis more fondly with his overall stats. A dude that likely didn’t take PEDs and didn’t hang on to compile numbers. Gotta respect both. 

Yeah,    definitely 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Yep. This is probably the best team(record wise) that I just don't have a lot of interest in. I still watch and follow,  I just don't care about it when they lose.
    • I don't know what the feeling is in,  and around, Baltimore.  From my living room 3,000 miles away,  I just don't feel excited about the club right now.   We are just a handful of games away from the end of the season,  have an almost guaranteed  post season berth, and are in a tight race for another division title - and yet,  this is a very unexciting team that I expect to lose in the first round of the playoffs.   The injuries and mediocre play over the last two months have taken the wind out of my sails.  I would not be surprised at all to see us get swept by the Tigers.
    • Don't worry, they'll give you just enough optimism to get out of shrug mode before the Yankees series, then disappoint you. 🙂
    • I think, the tools are there. The pedigree is there. He is young. We are going to find out over the next 18 months what kind of "head" he has. Like all Oriole youngsters, I hope he can produce equal to his hype. But I think/hope he will have to earn his place starting with next spring. He will set the narrative and the Orioles control his future unless he is traded. IMO, he has a lot of work to do to earn what circumstance has presented this year..
    • I'm in shrug-mode for the rest of the season. It's just, we'll see how it shakes out at this point. The Orioles aren't a very good or healthy team right now, so... that's it! 
    • Hoping to get one game at this rate. 
    • The Tigers are on a roll, and an example of how seasons can turn on a dime in unexpected ways. In mid August they were 55-63, 8 games under .500 which was close to a season worst. But after a 20-9 stretch, they now have a solid chance of posting their first winning season in 8 years, and an outside chance of reaching the postseason for the first time since we beat them in the 2014 ALDS. They are 75-72 and 3.5 games behind Minnesota for the last WC spot.  Pitching is the main reason why, even after trading some arms at the deadline. They are 4th in MLB in ERA, have the likely Cy Young winner in Tarik Skubal, and a pretty good bullpen. Their offense has been average, led by All Star Riley Greene. Kerry Carpenter has also been excellent-- he missed most of the season with a back issue, but is playing now and playing well. We currently have TBDs tonight and tomorrow because the Tigers used openers twice last weekend vs the A's. The bulk followers of those games are both rookies who have been effective in limited innings, some as a SP some as a RP. Then, we likely face another rookie Sunday, but one who has been more entrenched in Detroit's rotation. Looking at those games, here's my best guess:  Eflin vs Opener/LHP Brant Hurter? (4-1, 3.00 ERA, 33 IP) Hurter threw 5.1 IP, 1 ER, 3 K as a follower last weekend Burnes vs Opener/RHP Ty Madden? (1-0, 2.57 ERA, 14 IP) Madden threw 5 IP, 1 ER, 7 K as a follower last weekend Povich vs RHP Keider Montero (5-6, 4.88 ERA, 83 IP) Montero threw a complete game, 3-hit shutout against Colorado on Tuesday A lot of the Tigers hot run has come against cellar dwellers. In their 20-9 stretch, they're 1-2 in series against current playoff teams. (Beat NYY, lost to CHC and SDP.) Hopefully we can stamp out some of their momentum, but facing three straight rookie SPs who are running hot lately is a bit spooky. 
  • Popular Contributors