2024 Orioles Playoff Roster

Warehouse

Who do you think should make the playoff roster?

26 man limit, 13 pitchers max, set prior to each series, must be in organization by 8/31

Considerations:

•  Is Westburg available or not?  If available in early October, do we give him a simulated game and throw him into the fire?

•  12 vs 13 pitchers - Do we want extra bench bat (e.g., both Mayo and Eloy) or more pitching buffer/flexibility?

•  Who is primary short-side platoon DH - Eloy or Mayo?

•  Who, if anyone, do we pick up on waivers in next four days?

•  Who plays well in September? Who is slumping or banged up?

•  Which injured players return?

•  Who else gets injured?

•  What are the matchup considerations with our opponent?

•  How important is playoff experience?

Injuries - position players

•  Mullins - day to day, no IL

•  Mounty - back in a week

•  Mateo - almost certainly out for year

•  Kjerstad - out for year (based on report from Eric Birdland)

•  Westburg - back between last week of September (yesterday’s Banner report that he is out at least another month) to mid-October (Corey Seager 2021 broken hand recovery timeline)

•  Garrett Cooper - probably available late September or early October

Injuries - pitchers

•  Zach Eflin - should be back early next week

•  Danny Coulombe - probably back around Yankees series 9/24 based on similar injuries

•  Grayson Rodriguez - probably returns for Giants series (9/17-9/19) based on similar injuries

•  Jacob Webb - likely back in early September 

•  Chayce McDermott - guessing out for year 

• Upvote 1

I see it as follows: 

vs RHP starter

Starting lineup

1. Cowser

2. Adley

3. Gunnar

4. Santander

5. O’Hearn

6. Mountastle

7. Mullins

8. Westburg or Urias

9. Holliday

Reserves

McCann

Urias or Rivera/Davis/Soto

Jimenez

Mayo

Slater

vs LHP starter

Starting lineup

1. Adley 

2. Santander

3. Mountastle

4. Gunnar

5. Westburg or Urias

6. Jimenez or Mayo

7. Cowser

8. Slater

9. Holliday or Urias

Reserves

McCann

Rivera/Davis/Soto or Holliday

Mullins

Slater

Jimenez or Mayo

Other position players that may be considered for reserve roles: Daniel Johnson, Garrett Cooper, Nick Maton, Nico Goodrum, Jean Segura, Jud Fabian

Rotation 

WC series

WC #1 - 10/1 - Burnes

WC #2 - 10/2 - Eflin

WC #3 - 10/3 - GRod

AL Divisional Series

10/5 - Suarez or GRod (if we sweep WC)

10/7 - Burnes

10/9 - Eflin

10/10 - GRod

10/12 - Burnes

Bullpen

Closer: Dominguez

Coulombe

Cano

Perez

Akin

Webb

1 or 2 of Kimbrel, G. Soto, Matt Bowman, Cade Povich, Brandon Young, Burch Smith, Colin Selby, late August waiver pick-up(s)

Long relief: Dean Kremer

Really need to see who is healthy. Last year we went with 14 players/12 pitchers. In an ideal world:

C (2) - Adley, McCann 

1B (2) - O'Hearn, Mountcastle 

IF (4) - Gunnar, Westburg, Holliday, Urias  

OF (4) - Santander, Mullins, Cowser, Slater

DH (2) - Eloy, Mayo

Instead of Mayo, the last guy could be Soto for a defensive sub.

SP (4): Burnes, Eflin, Grayson, Suarez

LHP (4): Coulombe, Perez, Akin, Soto

RHP (4): Seranthony, Cano, Kimbrel, Webb

Soto is the last guy for me for a power lefty. I can see the case for Povich, but he hasn't been great either and would be pitching in a different role. They traded for Soto for a reason and he has five straight scoreless outings. If he keeps that up he can make it. I also think Kremer will find his way on the roster due to an injury, but right now he is not one of the 12. Tate would be next man up after Kremer. 

I am interested to see who is available via waivers in the next few days.  I think Michael A Taylor would make a lot of sense for Elias to sign if he becomes available to us.  Elias has always valued CF defense and Taylor is one of the best.  Signing Taylor would allow Mullins to take a little more time to heal the recent injury and would also give us a RH CF to start against LHP down the stretch into the playoffs.  I like the idea of Taylor in CF and Cowser in LF vs Cowser in CF and Slater in LF vs LHP.

I can also see Elias bringing in another pitcher off waivers if one becomes available.

I think there are a lot of unknowns with the injuries to really have any idea what the playoff roster will look like as of today. 

I think it’s a big assumption that this team even makes the playoffs. They’re only up a handful of games up on the wild card and there’s no turning point in sight. The injuries really bogged down this season. Get to the playoffs and then I’ll start thinking about the roster. 

• Downvote 1

It's too early to tell right now.  Need to see who is healthy.  And as @RVAOsFanmentioned, also need to see who else is available in the next few days.  I'm not sure if there's anyone who would make sense for us but I wouldn't be surprised if Elias makes a move or two.

Really hoping for Westburg, Eflin and Coulombe to be back and being able to contribute in a significant way.  Eflin makes a huge difference in the rotation and Coulombe does in the bullpen.  IMO, the bullpen needs more than just DC but he's a difference maker for us there.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's too early to tell right now.  Need to see who is healthy.  And as @RVAOsFanmentioned, also need to see who else is available in the next few days.  I'm not sure if there's anyone who would make sense for us but I wouldn't be surprised if Elias makes a move or two.

Really hoping for Westburg, Eflin and Coulombe to be back and being able to contribute in a significant way.  Eflin makes a huge difference in the rotation and Coulombe does in the bullpen.  IMO, the bullpen needs more than just DC but he's a difference maker for us there.

Don't forget Grayson. Or are you assuming he's done?

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Don't forget Grayson. Or are you assuming he's done?

Not about to write him off but that oblique thing can't be trusted.  I know his is allegedly the most mild version but I still don't like it.

And quite frankly, I like Eflin a little more.  Better command, less walks.  I think G-Rod is a better candidate to put together an absolute dominant start but I also think he's a better candidate to blow a game up.

13 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think it’s a big assumption that this team even makes the playoffs. They’re only up a handful of games up on the wild card and there’s no turning point in sight. The injuries really bogged down this season. Get to the playoffs and then I’ll start thinking about the roster. 

Fangraphs likes our chances 

19 minutes ago, oriole said:

We are up 8.5 on the Red Sox, who have lost 4 straight. Maybe not a sure thing but we are much more likely to win the division than to miss the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Really need to see who is healthy. Last year we went with 14 players/12 pitchers. 

My memory is that Kjerstad hardly played and that we could have benefited from an extra pen arm in hindsight.  

37 minutes ago, oriole said:

Spoken like someone who hasn’t paid attention to the rest of the AL

• Upvote 2