Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!!

Wavetrapper

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I would expect Elias to continue targeting older veterans on shorter contracts. If we need a higher AAV guy I don't see the problem with Verlander/Scherzer types when there is need and opportunity. It didn't work out in this case for sure.

Yes, as I said, twice, it’s fine to give old guys who are declining a short contract for not much money. Kimbrel got, basically one year/14 mill.

I think that’s too much and I wouldn’t have done it, but once done, it shouldn’t have been the only reliable relief acquisition.

27 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Yes, as I said, twice, it’s fine to give old guys who are declining a short contract for not much money. Kimbrel got, basically one year/14 mill.

I think that’s too much and I wouldn’t have done it, but once done, it shouldn’t have been the only reliable relief acquisition.

Verlander/Scherzer types pitchers will cost more than Kimbrel. I will not be surprised if we see some contracts like theirs in the near future.

4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Today would have been the perfect game to put in Kimbrel. 6-1. Late innings. Not 5-5 late innings. 

The problem is we are carrying the left handed version of Kimbrel too (G. Soto). 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Kimbrel didn't blow half of the saves he did or didn't have half the flareups he's had, there's a strong chance we're in first place.

Gee, ya think??

We are a half game out.

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't expect Elias to change his approach of avoiding long term high dollar contracts. 

I don't either and that's why I want Rubenstine to make an exception to that very sensible rule just one time when it comes to Elias.

18 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

Soto hasn't allowed a run in his last 8 outings going 71/3 9Ks 2BBs. I don't think you can compare him to Kimbrel

Actually, Kimbrel has had a few of those runs this year. Their comparable is that right now you can’t trust either of them in a playoff game.  Maybe that changes with Soto as we move forward.

Unless there are more relievers injured or Kimbrel experiences a sudden return to his early summer velocity, I think he is DFA’d soon.  

I think Dominguez, Cano, Perez, Soto, and Akin (don’t want to burn his final option year) are all safe.

That leaves Kimbrel, Irvin, Bowman, and Burch Smith as your DFA candidates.  Webb will be added soon.  Nick Anderson may be considered.  Coulombe will hopefully be added by last week of September.  Brandon Young could be considered if the opportunity cost of needing to DFA another player isn’t too high. 

If Elias doesn’t expect Kimbrel to have a chance to make the playoff roster, it makes sense to cut bait.

5 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Actually, Kimbrel has had a few of those runs this year. Their comparable is that right now you can’t trust either of them in a playoff game.  Maybe that changes with Soto as we move forward.

Soto is 7 years younger, throws 99, and doesn't concede to baserunners. Add to that the fact that "good Soto" is showing up now rather than April-May also elevates him over Kimbrel. Soto may not be my first choice but he's definitely on the playoff roster in my mind. 

Akin vs Soto would be a close call. Assuming he finishes strong, I'm guessing they go with Soto since they traded for him. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

For a time. Was it long enough? Did he hang on for those few extra saves long enough to damage his legacy?

I guess we’ll find out five years after October 1

From 2010-2018 he was one of the best. 8 years of sub 2.50 era with years in the 1s. Pretty sure that qualifies him. There is a reason he is one of the all time leaders in saves. Like I said before, I don’t care for him but hopes he does well as an Oriole but his career is a HOF career for a reliever. 

• Thanks 1