Most disappointing prospects of 2024?

Frobby

Who would you say disappointed you most in 2024?

Among the position players, I’d go with Dylan Beavers.  He had an .894 OPS in 159 PA at Bowie last year, and mirrored that the first 33 games this season with an .890 OPS in 140 PA.   But from there he slumped badly and his OPS today stands at .757 with 5 games to play.  I haven’t written him off by any means, but it’s been a very disappointing season for him.   

On the pitching side, I’d go with Luis De Leon.   Last year he jumped from the FCL (where he had a 1.65 ERA) to Delmarva (2.39).  He started this year dominating at Delmarva again (2.25), and was quickly promoted to Aberdeen, but he never really found his footing there, posting a 5.73 ERA and a 1.877 WHIP.  He’s youngish (21) for the league, so there’s time for him to regroup next year, but I’d hoped for a lot more from him.  

DeLeon's shocking regression at Aberdeen has to be the biggest one for me. His command literally looked like it disappeared (Career worse 6.3 BB/9) and not only that, his strike out rate dropped (career low 9.8/9). 

The good news is his GB rate was pretty steady (59.1%) and his FIP (4.46) and xFIP (4.34) out paced his ERA (5.73). 

Stuff wise, his changeup regressed, but his slider improved movement wise, and probably led to some of the walks. He threw way too many uncompetitive pitches.

He allowed A+ batters to slash .289/.397/.384/.782 but some of that was attributed to a .379 BABIP, partially driven by Aberdeen's sometimes awful defense behind him. 

He's definitely got big time relief vibes to him so he can't be written off, but at 21-years old, he was a disappointment in his first go through the Sally League.

• Upvote 1

Deleon would be my answer by far…I just wonder if the way they yo-yo’ed him between starting and relieving, once he got to Aberdeen, effected him at all?

Its hard for me to give the org the benefit of the doubt on how they develop pitching, so I wonder if that’s an issue.

Three weeks ago and this would've been a near slam dunk for EBJ.  Overall, we've been pretty lucky.  I don't believe we've had any big injuries.  Unfortunately, the injury bug hit us at the MLB level.  

I'll go with Beavers, DeLeon, Honeycutt, and Fabian.  Admittedly, a high bar for Honeycutt, but I was hoping he'd hit the ground running.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jackson Holliday.

I was expecting more than shaky defense at second and a 57 OPS+.

Yeah not to derail the thread but this is a good answer. I just do not understand why these stud guys keep coming up and being total zeroes at the plate.  I get they’re not going to rake right away but these dudes can’t bat .100. I would think someone like Jud Fabian could at least do that. Adjustment period or no, It doesn’t make sense to me just HOW bad these guys have been. 

It's such a small sample size but I am disappointed in how Honeycutt started. Not everyone gets going like Colton Cowser did, but .176/.250/.196 with 43% strikeouts is rough.

Fabian didn't disappoint me, he's always been a Ryan McKenna type for me.

I still like Beavers as a strong-side platoon bat who can play all over the OF and steal bases. Eddie Rosario is a guy who comes to mind. I'm interested to see how he does next year in Norfolk.

Mac Horvath would be a big one for me. 

Came out of the gate raking last year, smoked the FCL and the Carolina League and the Sally League in succession. Small sample, obviously, but 100 PAs at a .321/.455/.603/1.057 is checking all the boxes for a draftee. Looked like the next graduate of the Orioles School for Hitcraft and Bat Wizardry.

And then he goes back to Aberdeen and limps to a .745 OPS, eventually ending up as a secondary piece in the Eflin deal.  A very disappointing end after coming out of the gates looking like a star in the making.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jackson Holliday.

I was expecting more than shaky defense at second and a 57 OPS+.

Agree, I don't think this is a terrible answer at all.

I'd probably also second Braylin Tavera and Luis DeLeon.

Max Wagner also couldn't stay healthy and had terrible performance when he did play.

Justin Armbruester was a guy who some thought might help in the bullpen this year or maybe even be a darkhorse to get some starts, and he was horrendous at AAA.

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

It's such a small sample size but I am disappointed in how Honeycutt started. Not everyone gets going like Colton Cowser did, but .176/.250/.196 with 43% strikeouts is rough.

Fabian didn't disappoint me, he's always been a Ryan McKenna type for me.

I still like Beavers as a strong-side platoon bat who can play all over the OF and steal bases. Eddie Rosario is a guy who comes to mind. I'm interested to see how he does next year in Norfolk.

I know there are no rules, but it's kinda tough to give a guy just drafted with less than 60 professional PAS who had been shutdown for over a month from competitive baseball. Honeycutt's start is not impressive and the K rate is something to to keep an eye on, but I personally don't think you can't call him the "most disappointing prospect" for this season.

In the case of both Honeycutt and Holliday, I wouldn't pick them because my personal expectations weren't as high as other people's.   I'm certainly disappointed in both but I don't think my long-run expectation has been affected a lot by this year's performance.   In Beavers' case, I had some hopes he'd deserve a top 5 prospect rating once all the Norfolk prospects graduated.   I probably bought into last year's Bowie numbers a little too much.