Roch Article-Wieters

Ripken23

Who cares?????

Why do people always bring this stuff up? Whop in the hell cares if some other team is struggling to get their pick signed...IT IS MEANINGLESS!!!

All that matters is that the ORIOLES get theirs signed.

I agree with this 1000%. Even if nobody in the top 10 signs with the other teams. It still doesn't make the Orioles any better.

Same applies to the trade deadline or off-season or whenever else people like to say "well nobody else is doing anything".

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, settle down. Believe it or not, not every conversation revolves around what you think.

A bunch of teams have yet to sign their picks with just a couple of days left before the deadline. None of us know how these new rules are going to affect things. Maybe the top picks will all sign at 11:55 or maybe teams will happily take an extra pick next year.

If half of the Top 10 picks in the draft fail to sign, that is far from meaningless. It would represent something of a drastic change in the way MLB does business.

I don't care what other teams are doing or how they conduct business...I care that the Orioles wouldn't be one of the teams to get their pick done.

We are the team going on 10 straight losing seasons...We are the team with next to nothing in terms of positional talent and we are the team who drafted the best player in the draft.

I agree with this 1000%. Even if nobody in the top 10 signs with the other teams. It still doesn't make the Orioles any better.

Same applies to the trade deadline or off-season or whenever else people like to say "well nobody else is doing anything".

Right. But from another perspective: what are the odds that NO team signs its players?

If the Orioles are in a similar predicament to over a 1/3 of MLB, perhaps the predicament isn't quite as dire as it seems. Perhaps. Feel free to disagree.

"How do I spell 'hysteria' and 'needless panic'? Let me count the ways..."

Right, because theres no precedent for people to be concerned when it comes to this organization.

How do I spell "head in the sand" let me count the ways.

If half of the Top 10 picks in the draft fail to sign, that is far from meaningless. It would represent something of a drastic change in the way MLB does business.
It still wouldn't justify in any way, shape, or form the Orioles inability to sign Weiters. There is absolutely no excuse to not get this done.

I don't care what he signs for at all. Just get him signed. If you can play hardball and get him for less at 9pm on Wednesday than you can today, great, kudos. But its like playing chicken on a bike against a freight train. If we don't sign him, the franchise is essentially dead. I don't think we recover from something like not signing him and be able to compete anytime soon. We won't be able to get a guy with his type of talent or nearly as ready to contribute at #6 next year.

I don't care what other teams are doing or how they conduct business...I care that the Orioles wouldn't be one of the teams to get their pick done.

We are the team going on 10 straight losing seasons...We are the team with next to nothing in terms of positional talent and we are the team who drafted the best player in the draft.

I'm not talking about any of that and I'm defending the Orioles here. We need to sign Wieters, like now.

But having half of the top 10 picks fail to sign would be a sign that something larger than typical Orioles incompetence might be afoot. Ignore that if you wish, but it would be obviously noteworthy.

I'm not talking about any of that and I'm defending the Orioles here. We need to sign Wieters, like now.

But having half of the top 10 picks fail to sign would be a sign that something larger than typical Orioles incompetence might be afoot. Ignore that if you wish, but it would be obviously noteworthy.

Its not noteworthy at all in the context of us signing Wieters or not and that is all that is important.

Its not noteworthy at all in the context of us signing Wieters or not and that is all that is important.

I disagree.

The Orioles don't operate in a vacuum. I don't think any of us know how the new rules are affecting negotiations among all the teams and their picks......but surely the changes DO have an effect. If the landscape has changed in such a way that half top 10 remain unsigned, a major change has occurred.

No way MacPhail spends the money it will take to sign him and with Boras being frustrated with MacPhail, that won't help us either.

Yep any MacFailure to sign Wieters will basically take us out of the running for any Boras client.

Yep any MacFailure to sign Wieters will basically take us out of the running for any Boras client.

Will the rest of the teams that haven't signed their Boras draftees also be out of the running?

It's ALWAYS smart to eliminate competition in a marketplace if your looking for maximum value after all.

Will the rest of the teams that haven't signed their Boras draftees also be out of the running?

It's ALWAYS smart to eliminate competition in a marketplace if your looking for maximum value after all.

I think Boras will be frustrated with us but he will still listen to us obviously.

But i think it signals that we won't be in the running in all likelihood either.

Archived