ALWC Game 1 Attendance

DrinkinWithFermi

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No excuses, but here's the reason:

4k TV, 65 inches or however big it is.  AC.  Can order food from a local joint or make my own.  Don't have to pay 8 bucks for a beer.  Don't have to sit in traffic on the way to the park, don't have to pay for parking.  

It's hard to beat the at-home experience.  I'll take my kid when he gets old enough to appreciate it, for sure...I think every dad who is a baseball fan and wants to show their kid the game should definitely take their son or daughter to games.  I've been to Camden Yards probably 100+ times.  I was there for 2,130, 2,131, the day Cal ended the streak, the 93 all star game, playoff games...I've got great memories.  I don't feel the need to go again anytime soon.

This.  I grew up in Northern VA and it always took 1 hour to drive to Memorial or Camden no matter the time of day.  It was always easy to find parking as well.  Now that same drive takes 2-3 hours, and finding good parking is a pain.  Plus, the cost of parking, tickets, food/drinks, souvenirs has skyrocketed.  So the choice is to sit in traffic, fight for parking, pay tons of money for the hassle...or sit on my comfortable couch and watch the game on a huge HD screen for free...

The Mets just had more exciting wins in one week than we had in four months.  I called us the Dull Orange Machine a few weeks ago for a reason.  Really boring team most of the season, with no personality at all.  They seemed to have a "get knocked down, stay down" mentality, which isn't fun to support as a fan.  There are a lot of very good reasons noted here as to why attendance wasn't great, but the energy around this team and the organization is just low and that can't help.  And a slow and boring offseason that doesn't move the needle much won't help attendance heading into next season either.  

1 hour ago, Otter said:

This.  I grew up in Northern VA and it always took 1 hour to drive to Memorial or Camden no matter the time of day.  It was always easy to find parking as well.  Now that same drive takes 2-3 hours, and finding good parking is a pain.  Plus, the cost of parking, tickets, food/drinks, souvenirs has skyrocketed.  So the choice is to sit in traffic, fight for parking, pay tons of money for the hassle...or sit on my comfortable couch and watch the game on a huge HD screen for free...

Yup. Northern Va here, too. Complete hassle to get to Camden Yards. 

I might feel differently if I lived within 15-20 of the stadium but I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, Otter said:

Sunday day games are the best chance to avoid traffic if your trip takes you on the DC beltway. All other games times are mostly unbearable. I went to a mid week day game this season and it took me 1 hour to get to the park, and 2.5 hours to get home.