Where are the pollyannas?

Tony-OH

Man we are really reaching for issues 

Gunnar had a 1.288 OPS last year. He sucked this year in TWO games. Bobby Witt delivered in this series and deserves accolades for his singles when they needed them.  Let’s not be all dramatic though diagnosing Gunnar with having issues in big moments because  these two games one of which was against a legit shutdown guy. That’s a massive reach when discussing a 23 y.o surrounded by a lot of guys who are not exactly scorching at the plate either. Bigger sample size needed to make that statement about Gunnar

• Upvote 2

I understand the frustration around the end result of the season and how things have spiraled since mid June.   

I want would love to bookmark this thread and see how many people complaining about these players now whine and cry when we don't extend any of them and let them go for nothing. 

We ran into 2 all star pitchers one of them has been unhittable over there last 4 starts. 

While I'm disappointed in how things turned out I would much rather root for a team that wins gets to the playoffs and always give us a chance verse a100 loss team that you know never stands a chance once the season starts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

461505744_8778997965445073_8668466537848561420_n.jpg

4 out of 5 home grown chokers.

Tony …. I have to admit I didn’t watch either game. I checked the score a few times both nights and flipped the game on in the 9th inning. The style of baseball that this team was supposedly playing based on analytics is a complete joke. I agree that the coaching staff needs to go. And we need to upgrade the roster. I’ve hoped we’d resign Burnes and still kinda hope we do. But, Why on earth would he want to resign to play with this bunch.

I stopped reading at page 8 because I'm losing ground on this post:

1. The hitting coaches and the "Offensive Strategy Coach" needs to be the 1st out the door. Is the OSC guy a analytics guy, while the regular HC's are hands on "here's how you swing" type?

During game 1, Ragans and Burnes were cruising along, when Ced led off the 3rd with a double. I was thinking maybe Hyde knew this could be a close game, however, McCann did not square to bunt, nor give any indication he would be pushing the ball to the right side and move Ced over.  The Royals never had to change their defensive approach.. and no message was sent to the Royals manager that we weren't above small ball. Yet, like time and time again this year, runners were never advanced and Hyde let the players play. McCann is a pretty good bunter (that I recall). So why not show your willingness to move runners?

2. Does Sig and team put out a game map with analytics for everything baseball, and every situation? What happens if Hyde goes against the "analytics" and tells a player to bunt a guy over? Does Hyde get called into the office? I'm serious, is Hyde a puppet for the analytics or does he have free rein in-game? The answer to the question would be whether I think Hyde should stay or go.

While Mountcastle has truly struggled at times with outside pitches, he's a very good 1st baseman.. and does keep a pretty good average/HR/RBI etc. He's frustrating, but not a failure. We can't keep getting rid of every player any more.. we don't have a lot of people in the minors, and who know how much Mr. R is willing to spend.

19 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Man we are really reaching for issues 

Gunnar had a 1.288 OPS last year. He sucked this year in TWO games. Bobby Witt delivered in this series and deserves accolades for his singles when they needed them.  Let’s not be all dramatic though diagnosing Gunnar with having issues in big moments because  these two games one of which was against a legit shutdown guy. That’s a massive reach when discussing a 23 y.o surrounded by a lot of guys who are not exactly scorching at the plate either. Bigger sample size needed to make that statement about Gunnar

They don’t know what they are talking about. The same people complaining about the lack of clutch hitting this year are the same people that constantly complained about Adam Frazier being on the team last year. It’s clear that anyone who wants to be positive or try to find a silver lining isn’t welcome here. Just a bunch of crybabies who’d prefer to blame a group of fine young players for losing instead of giving credit to the other team for winning. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

They don’t know what they are talking about. The same people complaining about the lack of clutch hitting this year are the same people that constantly complained about Adam Frazier being on the team last year. It’s clear that anyone who wants to be positive or try to find a silver lining isn’t welcome here. Just a bunch of crybabies who’d prefer to blame a group of fine young players for losing instead of giving credit to the other team for winning. 

There are plenty of legit questions and things to address. Gunnar’s playoff performance is not one of them. He had two bad games on a big stage. Happens even to clutch guys. That’s why you have teammates. This was a collective offensive failure. I’ll give Mullins the one pass 

I want Gunnar to focus on fixing his throwing motion and cutting down the unforced fielding errors. 

2 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Women will marry anyone with money.  Looks don't matter for guys.  Look at Jay Z.  

Woman are not the only one . Introduce me to a fugly billionaire woman and see how quick the words Hell Ya or rather…. I do come out my mouth.  Judge me all you all want while I sip drinks on a beach 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

To be fair Gunnar is 23 he will mature some

This is true. And this might be off-topic for this thread, but for all the Gunnar–Witt comparisons, I think it’s not for nothing that Gunnar is a year younger, and that his age-23 season was better than Witt’s age-23 season. They have both improved steadily throughout their careers; looking forward to seeing whether Gunnar can make the age-24 quantum leap that age-24 Witt has. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Where are you now?

Where are the posters who laughed when we said how boring this team was?
Where are the posters who scoffed at the idea that this team is full of players who can't perfrom under pressure?
Where are the posters that bring up that the Orioles offense scored the second most runs?
Where are the posters that go into the game thread and tell people they are overreacting when it's clear this team is choking time and time again?
Where were the posters who just think it's baseball that this core group choked once again?

Every single coach should be fired. Hyde should be fired. Elias gets one more offseason with an owner that may actually spend.

Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn should have played their last games as Orioles.

Rutschman needs to go to fat boy camp and lose about 15 pounds while putting on muscle. Maybe go to a hitting school that teach 2-0 is a great pitch to swing on. 

At the end of the day, this is EXACTLY what this team deserved. They have played like scared little school children since late June. Don't give me injuries, because this team's offense was in tact and they scored one freakin' run in two games. One. 

They were swept by a 85-win team that has struggled down the stretch. They collected two hits off a bullpen in 8 innings of work. They are an absolute and utter embarrassment. This team is more of an embarrassment than the team that lost 110+ games. 

Everyone involved in this season have stained their reputation. EVERYONE. Gunnar hits 37 home runs and craps his pants. Cowser thinks he's rookie of the year and dude swings at ball that hit him with the bases loaded. What kind of ridiculous unprofessional at bat was that? 

Adley? Are you kidding me. If they traded him this offseason I wouldn't shed a tear. 

The only thing good in any of this is now my calendar has been freed up. Never again will I ever trust a Hyde-led, Elias developed team led by his core. He needs to go out and find guys that don't poop their pants the second pressure is involved.

Thank you Burnes for being a professional and doing your job. You deserved better than being in a clubhouse full of choke artists. 

If Elias brings back this coaching staff he gets one more year to win a World Series than he's on the chopping block too. If he wants to ride with these losers, then go down with these losers.

Good post Tony and Lord knows I got called out many times for being negative and go root for another team when all this Oriole fan was pointing out was how bad they were playing and how overrated the offense was for some time now. I mean you could even see it with all those solo homers they were hitting because this team couldn't get guys on base. For all the pitching injuries this team had especially with the starters it wasn't really the starters that ultimately did this team in but a lousy BP and lousy hitting. 

1 minute ago, Baseball fandom said:

Good post Tony and Lord knows I got called out many times for being negative and go root for another team when all this Oriole fan was pointing out was how bad they were playing and how overrated the offense was for some time now. I mean you could even see it with all those solo homers they were hitting because this team couldn't get guys on base. For all the pitching injuries this team had especially with the starters it wasn't really the starters that ultimately did this team in but a lousy BP and lousy hitting. 

And what you said about Elias and Hyde I so agree with. Elias gets one more year and then all eyes are on him if his beloved hitting prospects  fail again .  He deserves another year with real owners to back him. Hyde should be gone tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Teddy OBP said:

Adley wasted a year of Adley.

Hitting coaches have to go.

I’d make Hyde interview for his job.

Get your legos and costumes and golden tee the F out of here. Be men. Be professionals.

I’m willing to be optimistic about Holliday and Mayo and to an extent Heston. We’ll see if they work on their games this offseason and how they show up in the spring.

I’m also willing to be optimistic about new ownership and their willingness to spend - I’d make a serious run at keeping Burnes and a half hearted one at Santander if the market isn’t crazy. Would 100% go get a prime years professional hitter to put in this lineup.

Agreed with what you said above except about Santander .  Give him the QO & let  him get his bag elsewhere . I like him but it’s time for a change . 
Totally 💯 agree about Burnes . He didn’t deserve to lose game # 1 , gave up one freaking run and they rewarded him with zero 0️⃣ runs  ? SMH .  Give him the QO AND make strong serious effort to keep him here .  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Where are you now?

Where are the posters who laughed when we said how boring this team was?
Where are the posters who scoffed at the idea that this team is full of players who can't perfrom under pressure?
Where are the posters that bring up that the Orioles offense scored the second most runs?
Where are the posters that go into the game thread and tell people they are overreacting when it's clear this team is choking time and time again?
Where were the posters who just think it's baseball that this core group choked once again?

Every single coach should be fired. Hyde should be fired. Elias gets one more offseason with an owner that may actually spend.

Santander, Mountcastle and O'Hearn should have played their last games as Orioles.

Rutschman needs to go to fat boy camp and lose about 15 pounds while putting on muscle. Maybe go to a hitting school that teach 2-0 is a great pitch to swing on. 

At the end of the day, this is EXACTLY what this team deserved. They have played like scared little school children since late June. Don't give me injuries, because this team's offense was in tact and they scored one freakin' run in two games. One. 

They were swept by a 85-win team that has struggled down the stretch. They collected two hits off a bullpen in 8 innings of work. They are an absolute and utter embarrassment. This team is more of an embarrassment than the team that lost 110+ games. 

Everyone involved in this season have stained their reputation. EVERYONE. Gunnar hits 37 home runs and craps his pants. Cowser thinks he's rookie of the year and dude swings at ball that hit him with the bases loaded. What kind of ridiculous unprofessional at bat was that? 

Adley? Are you kidding me. If they traded him this offseason I wouldn't shed a tear. 

The only thing good in any of this is now my calendar has been freed up. Never again will I ever trust a Hyde-led, Elias developed team led by his core. He needs to go out and find guys that don't poop their pants the second pressure is involved.

Thank you Burnes for being a professional and doing your job. You deserved better than being in a clubhouse full of choke artists. 

If Elias brings back this coaching staff he gets one more year to win a World Series than he's on the chopping block too. If he wants to ride with these losers, then go down with these losers.

This is a post from a frustrated fan and not one from an intelligent baseball man.  Which, I believe you are.

The Orioles have now been losers in 10 straight playoff games and that is a huge source of everyone's frustration.  We are prepared for where lift off is going and we haven't gone anywhere.

There are plenty of things to address and there are quite a few things to be concerned about going forward.  As a fan, I have to believe that everyone from the owner to the ball boys will take time to assess the failure of being swept out of the playoffs...at home...for the second year in a row.

But it is assine to brand players across the board as trash and worthless talents and everyone here knows it.  The reasons we got swept out last year and caused fear that it would be repeated was pitching.  But the Orioles just pitched two beautiful games and STILL lost.

The reasons they got swept this year was they swung the bats like a high school team scared that they couldn't hit the Royals pitching and they were pretty much proved right.

But this team still was the first Oriole team to qualify for the playoffs in back to back years in 27 freaking years.  That is not enough.  But it IS a damn good start.

Instead of throwing the entire organization into the trash, perhaps with some time to cool down, we can intelligently look at things that need to be changed.  Everyone in the organization needs to do a better job.  It's great to win more games than 28 teams over the last two years, but it absolutely stinks to have an 0-4 playoff record, at home no less, to show for it.  That needs to change.

Does that mean new coaches?  I think you have to look at everything.  Does it mean the owner needs to spend?  Yes, but spending doesn't guarantee anything.  Does it mean the GM needs to do a better job to get this group to the next level...whether in acquiring or developing talent?  Yes, it absolutely does.   

As for the manager?  I don't know.  I have never really been in love with Hyde.  But I don't know too many teams that have fired their manager after two seasons like the Orioles have just produced.  Wasn't he manager of the year last year?

This team went from playing loose and winning almost with ease to playing tight and seemingly playing as if they knew they would lose.  They have dominated the AL East for 2 years.

So yes, there is much to question.   And those questions will certainly be debated here and hopefully by the Orioles.  A straight maintaining of the status quo would be a mistake.  I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  But sir with all due respect this is a bad take and a bad assessment of the last two years and of the current Oriole Franchise.  And it isn't pollyanish to say so.

The anger and frustration we all feel is real.  You didn't even touch on how the Ticket Office basically screwed every single person who renewed their plan and bought tickets and paid huge fees, only to have people sit beside them that paid 1/3 or less for the same seat.  So yeah, tonight we all feel cheated.  By the Owner, the Front Office, the Team and the staff.

The sun will still come up tomorrow and there is work to be done.   Lets dig in and get started.

1 hour ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Are you serious? This team has played poorly since the Allstar break. The Win-Loss was mentioned here over and over again. Injuries were a contributing factor but you can’t deny the offense disappeared quite often as well. Adley’s OPS is in the 5s…. We got beat …that’s true but we didn’t do anything to help ourselves. The final out both nights were on swings with the ball at the shoe laces. 

4 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

You go with the guys who can hit now.  It's laughable to complain the O's just lost because they couldn't hit and then suggest the fix was to bat Coby Mayo or Jackson Holliday.  Mayo showed he wasn't ready yet -- Holliday too.

I know that Urias was hot in August and he has always been a solid fill in. But he was awful Before August and had a .650 OPS after his return from injury. Just pointing that out as “guys that are hitting now”. He was hitting in August, he wasn’t really hitting now. I know it’s not directly what you were saying but just wanted to point it out. But that’s not his fault, he’s just not an every day guy. A very solid backup.

6 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I know that Urias was hot in August and he has always been a solid fill in. But he was awful Before August and had a .650 OPS after his return from injury. Just pointing that out as “guys that are hitting now”. He was hitting in August, he wasn’t really hitting now. I know it’s not directly what you were saying but just wanted to point it out. But that’s not his fault, he’s just not an every day guy. A very solid backup.

Urias started the year 7 for 39.

He OPS’d .800 from 4/8 through end of the season.