Elias on contract extensions

Sports Guy

I think I think Basallo is the favorite if it is anyone this offseason.

Gunnar and Adley are at awkward high or low moments.    Holliday has so much family and personal wealth I doubt he wants to price the heart of his career now.

Grayson, Cowser, Westburg, Mayo - I'm not even sure Elias slam dunk wants to purchase free agent seasons now.

54 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Double hedge:

1) "responsible attempt" 

2) IF it is in the best interests of building the team

Both obviously true and impossible to find fault with as stated, but both also obviously deliberately inserted in the sentence as hedges to explain, after the fact, why we failed to extend any of our younger players beyond their original team control period.   

Either there are stronger fiscal restraints still in place than people would like to believe, or else Elias really doesn't believe extending team talent and buying free agent years is the way to go, even though lots of the other cool kids have been doing it, including Houston with Altuve, Tampa, Cleveland, Philly, and other franchises.

Exactly. Could be interpreted as "extensions coming" but enough cover to be able to say "I never promised extensions coming." Very typical GM speak. We have seen this before 

And, tomorrow will be another day. If and when there ever is an extension we will know after the fact or well after the attempt. Till then, we are left to the assumptions that fit our thinking off what we read and are allowed to know - which isn't much because that's how Elias operates and that's how he should. 

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think I think Basallo is the favorite if it is anyone this offseason.

Gunnar and Adley are at awkward high or low moments.    Holliday has so much family and personal wealth I doubt he wants to price the heart of his career now.

Grayson, Cowser, Westburg, Mayo - I'm not even sure Elias slam dunk wants to purchase free agent seasons now.

The definition of "reasonable" is going to be variable and maybe defined by some SigBot parameters we may never know. Gunner now is about where Witt was last year in service time so Witt contract plus $$ or years. Is that reasonable? Then factor defense vs offense. Mayo and Holiday haven't established a baseline of performance at MLB yet. Westburg, Cowser, GRod are between those groups. Then you have to decide if Basallo will stick at C. What's Adley's bat going to be, playable at 1B or DH when C takes its toll? I hope Sig and ME have their magic 8-ball handy.

Gunnar is the slam dunk that we all want extended but who else?

Adley: He is already showing signs of decline and I don t think his bat is good enough to warrant an extension if he has to move to 1b at some point.

Westburg: Extend him

Holliday:  He had a rough start to his career and some of the shine has come off because of that.  Does his defensive position at 2b lower his value?

Mayo:  He looked so terrible at the plate and in the field I'm worried he could be a busy way more then Holliday.  

Cowser:  He probably gets slightly better at the plate going forward and plays good defense.  I wouldn't mind if it's not an absurd number.  

Kjerstad:  He looks like a future DH and I would like to see more out of his bat if we are going to extend someone with questions about his ability to play the field.  

Basallo:  Would they extend someone who just hit Triple A?  He looks like a future star but after our guys have struggled this last year, it gives me pause.  

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

How does that compare to what he said about extensions pre-Rubenstein? That's where some insight could be had, if there is any difference. But as far as I recall it was pretty similar.  

I think what Mike used to say about extension is "We don't talk about them.   I would not want anyone I am talking to to believe that I leaked something to the media.    It just not a good practice IMO"

Elias, more than any front office person I've ever seen, never really says anything in a straightforward way. Way back, when people were clamoring for Coby Mayo to be brought up, he said "he's on the tip of our tongue". Lol

This is not even a puff piece. It is not even fluff, it is an exercise in speaking 300 words without saying anything.

I wonder if this is a natural gift or if they take a class on it while they are at their Ivy League schools.

he’s saying “yes, if we want to we will and if we don’t want to we won’t and I’m not going to talk about it”

I’m sure there’s going to be a lot to talk about between now and next February when pitchers and catches report, but this is not among the topics that can be fruitfully discussed.