RHH Outfield Targets

sportsfan8703

8 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Just shows how dumb you are. So spend when they weren't good but don't spend now when they should be. Lol. I give up. I'm done with you.l. Go and get the last word in like SG likes to do. That's how you fools operate you  need to get the last insult in so have at it.  

I'm not really sure how, but you've managed to interpret my post exactly backwards. 

How embarrassing 🤭

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He'd DH some, but if we want a legit RH bat, that's the one I want.  He mashes lefties, he can hold his own against righties.  If he's atrocious on defense, so be it.  He's not going to be in the field every day, he'd DH a good chunk.

He's bad enough defensively that I think he'd give a lot of his offensive value back when in the field, but I respect your position even if I don't personally see a good fit for him here.

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's bad enough defensively that I think he'd give a lot of his offensive value back when in the field, but I respect your position even if I don't personally see a good fit for him here.

I get why he wouldn't be a good fit, I also think he probably goes back to the Dodgers. 

I'm also tired of the platoon splits guys.  

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get why he wouldn't be a good fit, I also think he probably goes back to the Dodgers. 

I'm also tired of the platoon splits guys.  

Yeah, if they want him (or basically anyone else for that matter), he's theirs. Must be nice lol.

And I don't mind platoons, but everyday guys are pretty cool too. Shame we can't just sign Juan Soto, but this ain't MLB: The Show on Playstation.

I guess we could sign that Santander guy though...

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, if they want him (or basically anyone else for that matter), he's theirs. Must be nice lol.

And I don't mind platoons, but everyday guys are pretty cool too. Shame we can't just sign Juan Soto, but this ain't MLB: The Show on Playstation.

I guess we could sign that Santander guy though...

As much as I like Tony, it's time to move on.  

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I agree, and have consistently advocated for doing so, but he's one of my favorite modern Orioles so if they DO bring him back, part of me will be very happy (just not my brain).

See, I don't get this kind of thinking at all.

If you want to argue that he's going to get too much money, or too many years, that's one thing.

But to say "it's time to move on" is basically saying we're better off without him.  Anybody who thinks that is delusional.

How else should that statement be interpreted?

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I like Tony, it's time to move on.  

What’s the logic for wanting to sign Hernandez but move on from Tony?  Is it that Teoscar might sign a friendlier contract?

Tony probably has the slightly better bat overall, they’ve had the same Statcast Fielding Run Value over the last three years, and Tony is younger.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Right now the 2025 OF has three LHH OF in Cowser, Mullins, and Kjerstad. I’m not sure what the bench makeup of this team will be, but it looks like we’ll need 1-2 RHH options. 

We could bring Slater back on a small “Tony Kemp” like 1 year deal or a milb deal. 

With Santander leaving, and Mateo back to being in the CF mix once healthy, do we go with a more COF RHH type?

Trades are a possibility as well, but here is a list of upcoming RHH OF Free Agents,

IMG_6141.jpeg

I’m sorry, but none of these players are coming here unless they’re on the back end of their career or for a huge overpay.  Who’s gonna ruin their career. Look what happened to Mountcastle because of that  wall.  Elias has done a lot of things well. He had a lot of high draft picks. He’s good at picking up some off the scrap heap. His ideas for revolutionizing baseball have been pretty much failures. Do you think he’s gonna stop trying to be known for something? No, he wants to be the modern day Billy Beane. 

Just now, Spakman said:

I’m sorry, but none of these players are coming here unless they’re on the back end of their career or for a huge overpay.  Who’s gonna ruin their career. Look what happened to Mountcastle because of that  wall.  Elias has done a lot of things well. He had a lot of high draft picks. He’s good at picking up some off the scrap heap. His ideas for revolutionizing baseball have been pretty much failures. Do you think he’s gonna stop trying to be known for something? No, he wants to be the modern day Billy Beane. 

You his therapist or something?

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

See, I don't get this kind of thinking at all.

If you want to argue that he's going to get too much money, or too many years, that's one thing.

But to say "it's time to move on" is basically saying we're better off without him.  Anybody who thinks that is delusional.

How else should that statement be interpreted?

He's a one-dimensional slugger heading into his 30s coming off of a career year who's in line for a 4 or 5 year deal at ~$20 million a year.

My guess is that whoever signs him will regret it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's a one-dimensional slugger heading into his 30s coming off of a career year who's in line for a 4 or 5 year deal at ~$20 million a year.

My guess is that whoever signs him will regret it.

And Teoscar Hernandez is......?

That's a legit argument and I don't even necessarily disagree with it.

But that isn't just a blanket statement that it's "time to move on."  Like he's a 36 year old who's hurting your team.

2 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

What’s the logic for wanting to sign Hernandez but move on from Tony?  Is it that Teoscar might sign a friendlier contract?

Tony probably has the slightly better bat overall, they’ve had the same Statcast Fielding Run Value over the last three years, and Tony is younger.

I think Tony just had a career year in a contract year and is unlikely to replicate it moving forward.  He went on a massive hot streak for two months this summer and everyone's in favor of bringing him back.  He's a fan favorite, I get it, but to pretend like his production is irreplaceable is silly.  

I disagree that Tony has the better bat.  Teoscar is a pipe dream, there's no real chance that we could get him.  But whatever, we're here and this is the argument.  Teoscar's 13.0 rWAR over the past 4 seasons is better than Tony's 8.0 rWAR over the same period.  

If people are going to harp on defense, fine.  But the WAR is the WAR, Teoscar has shown more value over time.  Even if you want to go fWAR, it's Teoscar at 12.3 over the past 4 seasons and Tony at 8.  

If people want to argue that there's more value with Tony because he's a switch hitter and that allows for some more lineup/matchup flexibility, that's fine, I won't argue against that either.  But Teoscar is the better player, he's been more valuable over time and that can't really be refuted.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Yeah, who wants to get paid well to play for a team set up to be a contender for the next half decade?

Just now, Pickles said:

And Teoscar Hernandez is......?

That's a legit argument and I don't even necessarily disagree with it.

But that isn't just a blanket statement that it's "time to move on."  Like he's a 36 year old who's hurting your team.

I said I was opposed to signing Hernandez though... :noidea:

Also, he's not really a one-dimensional slugger- he hits for a decent average, gets on base at a decent clip (generally), and has good speed, unlike Santander.

Still don't want him though due to his horrendous defense.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, who wants to get paid well to play for a team set up to be a contender for the next half decade?

I said I was opposed to signing Hernandez though... :noidea:

Also, he's not really a one-dimensional slugger- he hits for a decent average, gets on base at a decent clip (generally), and has good speed, unlike Santander.

Still don't want him though due to his horrendous defense.

No, I get it.  I'm kind of asking you to defend something you didn't say.

I think Santander is probably gone, but if we could resign him for 3 years we should definitely explore that.

He's gone because he's pried himself out of our range; not because it's "time to move on."

2 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Here we go again worrying about every cent and dollar even though Burned and Santander are coming off the books. I swear I think only Orioles fans concerned themselves so much with payroll. 

Certainly Orioles fans on this message board.   But it's a self-selected and mutually reinforcing community so that outcome should be no surprise.