Should the Orioles keep Povich, Kremer and Rogers in the organization for 2025?

Sports Guy

Yes, keep all three.  That said, don't plan on but one, Kremer, being in the starting 5.  Kremer, while not great, has certainly earned a starting spot in the back end of the rotation.  Povich still needs to prove he deserves a spot and will have to earn it in the spring and I think Rogers is a lost cause.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think we will ever get anything out of Rogers, certainly not worth what we traded for him.  Don't need to debate it again and yeah I know that Norby/Stowers had no role on this team, etc etc, but to give up ANYTHING of value for Rogers was not a smart move IMO.  

I want us to sign 2 starters.  One of the top 3-4 if we can, and another solid option for the 3-4 spot.  If that means Povich and Roger start/stay in the minors, I can live with that.  Let them be an insurance policy for if/when a starter gets injuried or isn't performing.

10 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think an interesting related question is, who's ahead on the depth chart, Rogers or Povich? I think Rogers has the inside edge there in that if it is a close call, Rogers will get the #5 spot. 

It should be Povich.  He showed flashes last year and was good in a few starts.  Rogers was so bad that the vet with 410 MLB IP was demoted to AAA, for good reason.  That said, we spent player capital on acquiring Rogers and he's the vet, so he probably is ahead of the depth chart, whether he really should be or not.

16 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think an interesting related question is, who's ahead on the depth chart, Rogers or Povich? I think Rogers has the inside edge there in that if it is a close call, Rogers will get the #5 spot. 

• Cade Povich - 5.20 ERA, 4.79 FIP, 1.431 WHIP, 7.8 SO/9, 3.8 BB/9
    • Last 8 starts after called back up from AAA: 4.25 ERA, 3.47 FIP, 1.205 WHIP, 9.4 SO/9, 2.3 BB/9 
  • Trevor Rogers - 4.92 ERA, 4.52 FIP, 1.576 WHIP, 7.0 SO/9, 4.1 BB/9

Those last 8 starts are more in line with how he did in AAA last year, and I think is both encouraging and what we can look forward to.

Rogers saw his velocity drop off to barely hitting 89 in his last starts in the majors and in the minors, and he clearly has a lot to work on. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him starting in the rotation, vet or not. 

Open competition in the spring, but I give Povich the nod. Kid has better stuff.

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

It should be Povich.  He showed flashes last year and was good in a few starts.  Rogers was so bad that the vet with 410 MLB IP was demoted to AAA, for good reason.  That said, we spent player capital on acquiring Rogers and he's the vet, so he probably is ahead of the depth chart, whether he really should be or not.

Rogers was that bad with the O's-- but on the whole he had a better season output than Povich and I think we forget that easily because we didn't watch the better half of Rogers' season. The fact Povich was better in the second half matters some, especially since he's a rookie learning and if there is something physically wrong with Rogers. But Elias & co probably give more weight to Rogers' pre-trade performance. 

Absolutely. Why wouldn't they? At a minimum, even if they sign an elite free agent, depth is always good and Kremer, Povich, and Rogers all have options. If they trade anyone it should be to restock the pipeline. Lack of pitching depth was a big message board meme this year. 

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Rogers was that bad with the O's-- but on the whole he had a better season output than Povich and I think we forget that easily because we didn't watch the better half of Rogers' season. The fact Povich was better in the second half matters some, especially since he's a rookie learning and if there is something physically wrong with Rogers. But Elias & co probably give more weight to Rogers' pre-trade performance. 

Other than ERA and WAR, how did Rogers have a better year than Povich?  H9 Povich wins, 10.1 versus 9, WHIP Povich wins 1.431 versus 1.576, BB9 Povich wins 3.8 versus 4.1, even K9 Povich wins, 7.8 versus 7.0.  

Don't get me wrong, Povich shouldn't be just handed a starting spot, he should earn it.  But I'm just not seeing why he should be behind Rogers in the pecking order, outside of the experience and capital invested in Rogers.

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Absolutely. Why wouldn't they? At a minimum, even if they sign an elite free agent, depth is always good and Kremer, Povich, and Rogers all have options. If they trade anyone it should be to restock the pipeline. Lack of pitching depth was a big message board meme this year. 

Well if they need a guy like Povich to add someone in trade, that would be one reason.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well if they need a guy like Povich to add someone in trade, that would be one reason.

Sure, if they can get a pitching upgrade then the depth isn't as big of a concern. I would be fine with trading Povich as part of a Crochet package. However, I would prefer to lead with positional guys if possible.