Would this offseason make you happy or is it not enough?

Sports Guy

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I doubt they would be in on Hoffman.  He probably gets a deal similar to or better than what Stephenson got. They will keep Dominguez and Soto and say that’s enough money in the pen.

It would irritate me if they don’t acquire a high end reliever this offseason.

A lot of the high end relievers that are out there right now weren't high end when their team acquired them.  I like our foundation of our current top 7 or 8 guys.  I'm fine with us trying to hit on a waiver type of Burch Smith, Bowman, Selby, etc...

The tough spot about this offseason is it really is just about the young core of hitters getting better with age.  So we really just have to surround them and with vets around the margins at RHH OF, and RH back up C.  Maybe there is a Ryan Brasier 2.0 type reliever out there that we like.  Then the obvious one of bringing Burnes back.  If Burnes doesn't come back, then that is where we'll see some moving parts.  Probably a trade for a SP with 1-2 years left on his contract.  

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A lot of the high end relievers that are out there right now weren't high end when their team acquired them.  I like our foundation of our current top 7 or 8 guys.  I'm fine with us trying to hit on a waiver type of Burch Smith, Bowman, Selby, etc...

The tough spot about this offseason is it really is just about the young core of hitters getting better with age.  So we really just have to surround them and with vets around the margins at RHH OF, and RH back up C.  Maybe there is a Ryan Brasier 2.0 type reliever out there that we like.  Then the obvious one of bringing Burnes back.  If Burnes doesn't come back, then that is where we'll see some moving parts.  Probably a trade for a SP with 1-2 years left on his contract.  

To be clear, they don’t have to spend big money to get a productive reliever.  Hoffman is just a guy I really like but there are others.

That said, they need to get a high leverage, high end power arm reliever. We need more swing and miss and control out of the pen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To be clear, they don’t have to spend big money to get a productive reliever.  Hoffman is just a guy I really like but there are others.

That said, they need to get a high leverage, high end power arm reliever. We need more swing and miss and control out of the pen.

I definitely agree there, and so does Elias.  Other than Kimbrel, his other moves where he spent assets were for all high Velo, big K guys.  Fuji, Soto, and Dominguez.  

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/_/year/2025/position/rp/sort/contract_value

I'm all for Yimi Garcia.  I'd ditch Soto and his $8 million salary and put that towards a reliable arm.  

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was worried about posting that I think the O's should trade a package fronted by Kjerstad because of the pushback I would get.  Why not throw in Mayo too?

I was referring to Webbrick's proposal. I don't recall what yours was....

In terms of an overall deal, I'd honestly prefer to resign Burnes and keep Heston and Mayo, personally.

Edited by Absltgreek

On 10/16/2024 at 11:03 AM, forphase1 said:

I'd be a bit disappointed.  I'd be fine with Kelly, Hoffman and O'Neil, I actually like those 3 moves, depending on length of contracts and the like.  But if Pivetta is our big SP add, I'd feel they didn't do enough.  I'm not against Pivetta being signed as a PART of the SP upgrades maybe, but don't want him to the the headliner.  If we don't end up with a Burnes/Snell/Fried I'm going to be a bit disappointed.  

That said, there are a few other moves I'd like to see.  I'm more than ready to move on from the Mountcastle/O'Hearn platoon at 1st base, and would like to see us sign a full time first baseman like Walker.  Sure, in a perfect world we could put Mayo there, but from what we saw last year I'm not sold that he can do it.  I know it was a SSS, but still.  

If that was our offseason, it makes us a better team, so that's a good thing.  But I'd be a bit unhappy and would feel like they didn't do quite enough to improve the team.

I've seen this thought a few times lately and I just don't get it.  I get as frustrated watching Mountcastle at bats at times as anybody, but I believe we got the 4th best 1B production in the league last year.  You don't just scrap that to sign a big money FA 1B in their 30s.  Walker will be 34 and was worth 2.6 bWAR last year, the same as Mountcastle in almost an identical number of ABs.  Pete Alonso was worth 2.6 bWAR with about 150 more ABs than Mountcastle.  

I just don't see how it makes any sense to pay big money for the declining years of an Alonso or Walker when you already have Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Mayo to give the same production for a fraction of the cost.  The FA 1B are not upgrades. I'd spend that money elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Remember Robert Stephenson?  He was the trendy reliever that we(myself included) all wanted last year. So think about that when we just want to throw around big money towards a FA RP.

I’m hoping we could re-allocate the $8 million from Soto to a Yimi Garcia deal. He’s older and coming off an injury. Like 2/16 seems possible?  

IMG_6183.jpeg

Edited by sportsfan8703