Option decisions …

Roll Tide

The O's club option decisions: Recently I have written here and here about upcoming roster decisions the O’s must make on 2025 club options they hold for Ryan O’Hearn and Seranthony Domínguez.

Clubs holding such options on their players for next year must make those decisions within five days of the end of the World Series.

The O’s list of club options on players for next year:

* Eloy Jiménez: A $16.5M club option for 2025 with $3M buyout. According to MLBTradeRumors.com, the White Sox would pay $1.5M toward the buyout.

* Seranthony Domínguez: An $8M club option for 2025 with $500K buyout.

* Ryan O'Hearn: An $8M club option for 2025.

* Danny Coulombe: A $4M club option for 2025.

* Cionel Pérez: A $2.2M club option for 2025. He is eligible for arbitration if the club option is declined.

I’m betting they keep all of these guys except Jimenez

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/random-take-tuesday-1-4

Agree on Jimenez.

O'Hearn is the questionable one for me.   How left-handed do he O's want to be?

Gunnar, Holliday, Mullins, Cowser and Kjerstad are all lefties.   O'Hearn would make it 6 lefties.  Westy, Mounty and Mayo are right-handed.   Adley is a switch-hitter.

The bench has some righties in Mateo, Urias and Rivera.    McCann is a righty if they bring him back but he is not much of a hitter.

If they don't pick up O'Hearn's option he is a free agent.  The question is do they want to spend 8m on him or do they want to spent that money on a solid hitting righty?

Edited by wildcard

We bring everyone back except that we have an option, or can tender arb to, except Soto.

I don’t see us spending $8 million on a lefty that is out of options when we have 3 other ones in the same boat. Coloumbe, Akin, and Perez. If anything, we just need the roster flexibility to rotate arms in the pen. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We bring everyone back except that we have an option, or can tender arb to, except Soto.

I don’t see us spending $8 million on a lefty that is out of options when we have 3 other ones in the same boat. Coloumbe, Akin, and Perez. If anything, we just need the roster flexibility to rotate arms in the pen. 

After they traded Seth Johnson and Moises Chace for Greg Soto they are not going non tender him.   Especially since he had an ERA close to 1.00 in his last 20 appearances.  He made 5m last year and will probably make between 5m and 6m in 2025.

The guy with the 8m option is righty Dominguez.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Agree on Jimenez.

O'Hearn is the questionable one for me.   How left-handed do he O's want to be?

Gunnar, Holliday, Mullins, Cowser and Kjerstad are all lefties.    Westy, Mounty and Mayo are right-handed.   Adley is a switch-hitter.

The bench has some righties in Mateo, Urias and Rivera.    McCann is a righty if they bring him back but he is not much of a hitter.

If they don't pick up O'Hearn's option he is a free agent.  The question is do they want to spend 8m on him or do they want to spent that money on a solid hitting righty?

Does Mateo make the team? 

per Roch

Will Jorge Mateo be on the Opening Day roster?
First, the Orioles would have to sign him to another contract. He’s eligible for arbitration again and MLBTradeRumors.com projects his raise to $3.2 million. That’s hefty for a player who doesn’t project to start and hasn’t hit after hot starts to the season, and with the Orioles more likely to keep Ramón Urías in a utility role. And let’s not forget about the elbow surgery. We’re told that Mateo should be ready on Opening Day, but there might not be room for him.

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You really think they will bring back Eloy?

Of those 5:

Eloy is an easy no.

Dominguez and Coloumbe are easy yes.

O'Hearn is a yes.  I don't think they are worried about stacking LHH.  But the case for allocating it to a better RHH is valid.  Though the 1B RHH role is already there.

Perez is probably a no if the plan is to upgrade the BP through FA.

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

per Roch

Elbow injury notwithstanding, Mateo makes my team over Urias.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

per Roch

Mullins, Cowser and Holliday all may have trouble hitting lefties.   If Mateo can play center field it improves his chances of having a role on the team.   Mateo can hit lefties, is the best SS backup defensively when Gunnar gets his 7 days off a year.    Mateo can also  be a defensive replacement at SS when the game is lopsided.   But most of his at bats would come in center IMO.   

Urias is mostly a 3B/2B guy.    Can platoon with Holliday if necessary.

I think Mateo Is tendered a contract and they work out the details of where he plays in ST.   He is a special talent that adds speed to the team.  If he is healthy.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

After they traded Seth Johnson and Moises Chace for Greg Soto they are not going non tender him.   Especially since he had an ERA close to 1.00 in his last 20 appearances.  He made 5m last year and will probably make between 5m and 6m in 2025.

The guy with the 8m option is righty Dominguez.

Agree completely. Elias signed these two for 25 and knew what they would cost. Soto is 6 million I believe. I personally am non tendering Perez.

Edited by 1fingerwillie

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see why Mateo and Urias aren’t on the 2025 team. If you don’t keep both, what will you have on the roster instead?

Both are valuable players and are good fits for multiple positions.  You keep guys like this until they are too expensive.