I really don't understand the argument...

ejf1025

There are very, very few documented cases of a single player making a measurable impact on attendance. Thousands of apocryphal or rumored cases with no documentation exist, which keeps the silliness alive for every potential acquisition or callup.

Matt Wieters' impact on attendance will be almost directly related to his impact on the Orioles' win/loss record. Unless maybe he starts talking to the ball, making an obvious effort to groom the catcher's box with his hands, and shaking Brian Roberts' hand on good plays in the middle of the inning.

That only works when you also look like a cross between Roger Daltrey and Harpo Marx.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For Wieters it is a super 2 issue. For Bergy/Hernandez/Tillman it's that the FO doesn't really believe that they are ready.

Weiters is solely about money.

Pitching this year is about inventory. If you had an option and no ML track record, you were going down to the minors.

By the end of the year, everyone will get a turn :drek:

The problem with "super-2" is that NO ONE knows what date that will be.

In theory, we could wait until the break to bring him up and he could still end up one, so that whole idea should be moot. ESPECIALLY since what everyone is complaining about, learning how to call a major-league game, is something best accomplished by, you know, calling a major-league game.

Really, if that is the issue, we should have announced his call-up at 12:01 a.m. on the day the service-time became moot so that he can get as much experience as possible working with a major league pitching staff in a season where any mistakes he makes will be learning experiences and not roadblocks to the team's success.

How much is that experience worth? At least a million dollars, since that is the difference between the money Zaun and Moeller or any other potential cheap fill-in are making.

There are very, very few documented cases of a single player making a measurable impact on attendance. Thousands of apocryphal or rumored cases with no documentation exist, which keeps the silliness alive for every potential acquisition or callup.

Matt Wieters' impact on attendance will be almost directly related to his impact on the Orioles' win/loss record. Unless maybe he starts talking to the ball, making an obvious effort to groom the catcher's box with his hands, and shaking Brian Roberts' hand on good plays in the middle of the inning.

Mark Fidrych in 1976.

Fernando Valenzuela in his rookie year.

Matt Wieters in 2009.

Do you really think a couple months of padding stats (especially in Wieters case) is going to have any effect on their career?

In 4-5 years are you really going to look back and say, "Thank the Lord we waited til June, we could have ruined everything!"

I do not consider it padding stats. Neither has played at the top minor league level and I believe learning is incremental in moving up the system. Mentally and Physically.

I think a few months in AAA could be very beneficial to a long term career.

It's about the psychology part, they're still young kids, and learning how to be a professional and slowly moving up through higher quality teammates and opponents. Just my opinion.

Archived