Songs You'd Rather Hear During the 7th Inning Stretch

Philbertun

For those of you who aren't fans of hearing "Thank God I'm a Country Boy," during the 7th inning stretch, how about coming up with some alternatives?

I'd like to suggest "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen. ("b b b b b Bird, bird, bird is the word..") or "I Love Rock n Roll" by Joan Jett.

Anyone else?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's wrong with John Denver or "Thank God I'm A Country Boy"?

Besides, they've been playing it since the 70s...there's no way they're going to stop now.

What does John Denver have to do with Orioles baseball? What does being a country boy have to do with the city of Baltimore?

I agree, they probably aren't going to stop, but there are more than a few people that want to do away with Mr. Denver being played during the 7th inning stretch. So I'm just seeing if anyone has any better ideas.

What's wrong with John Denver or "Thank God I'm A Country Boy"?

Besides, they've been playing it since the 70s...there's no way they're going to stop now.

It's not that I have a problem with Mr. "Sunshine on my god damn shoulders John Denver!" I'm just not a fan of the song. Maybe it's a generational thing, but there's also plenty of songs from that era that would be an improvement.

What does John Denver have to do with Orioles baseball? What does being a country boy have to do with the city of Baltimore?

I agree, they probably aren't going to stop, but there are more than a few people that want to do away with Mr. Denver being played during the 7th inning stretch. So I'm just seeing if anyone has any better ideas.

What does Neil Diamond and "Sweet Caroline" have to do with the Red Sox or the city of Boston?

Why does everything associated with the Orioles have to scream "We're the Orioles and in case you didn't know, we're from Baltimore"?;)

Think of it like a common-law marriage. The song has been played long enough that it does have something to do with the O's now. It doesn't even matter how the tradition got started, it is now a tradition. The two are now legally married, for better or worse. Besides, there are plenty of us who do drive from the country to see the O's. Just because we don't live in the city of Baltimore, it does not make us any less of O's fans.

Archived