4/29 Halos @ O's

Saintbird

The most pathetic thing about the whole Pie disaster is that he’s getting lifted for defensive purposes late in ballgames. The biggest thing everyone pointed to was his “stellar” defense and how many runs it was going to save the O’s pitchers.

He is? I don't recall that ever happening.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most pathetic thing about the whole Pie disaster is that he’s getting lifted for defensive purposes late in ballgames. The biggest thing everyone pointed to was his “stellar” defense and how many runs it was going to save the O’s pitchers.
Are you talking about a different player?

They've put Pie into games late as a defensive replacement when he hasn't started. Not the other way around.

He is? I don't recall that ever happening.

Today's game? I guess you could argue that Trembley just wanted Montanez to hit instead of Andino and didn't want to waste another bench player.

I don't remember which games but Pie has definitely been taken out of games late for defense. (unless my memory is completely wrong, it wouldn't be the first time)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I’m outta rep, but these posts explain why you wouldn’t do it. I like Crochet, maybe they trade for him in the off season when Getz has less leverage. 
    • I still have not seen a single explanation of why we’d give up those kinds of assets for a guy who might not even be pitching by August given the IP situation.  We can figure out next years rotation in the off season if we have to. We don’t need to give up major assets right now for a guy who might not help THIS year.  So I’ll ask again, WHY would Crochet even be a target, let alone someone we’d give up these kinds of assets for?  And that’s before you even factor in that the Sox haven’t exactly been reasonable with their asking price, reportedly, on other players. 
    • Hahn was still the GM at last year’s deadline.   
    • I'm really concerned about Crochet being able to maintain his level of production down the stretch given he's never pitched this many innings before. And I am dead set against trading Mayo or Basallo for anyone who's not an absolutely proven ace commodity over multiple years, like Burnes was.
    • This is the part of my post I left out, but definitely is worth considering. 
    • They have all of the post season to consider free agents who won’t cost anything other than dollars and considering the payroll under which the Orioles currently operate that shouldn’t be a problem. The issue is adding to the current roster effectively as to make a deep PS run. Can they do that without selling the farm? Sure, but the idea we trade off Kjerstad because he has the most value (perceived or otherwise) is short sighted when you look at next year and beyond.   I've said it before, I really like Santander but he’s gone and it’s looking less likely HE is part of a package. They’ll need someone to take over in RF, be it HK or Stowers.    So, if the right move is available to the Orioles without sacrificing the future, then they do it. Then, and only then would I consider the package discussed here. Not a bad package, but one I don’t think ME makes based on his previous comments (we’re looking at competing for multiple WS titles).  And of course, I could be way off base. 
  • Popular Contributors