Biggest disappointments of 2009 draft

Of course everyone is disappointed with Grant Green's lack of development, but who else have you been disappointed with? I can tell you that I have had mroe disappointments this year than good surprises.

Kentrail Davis: Supposedly a top 15 pick before the season. He had been labeled a potential star preseason, but in the last 3 months he has solidifed himself as a complete disappointment for 09. Will he be back for his senior year? That we shall see

Grant Green: We already know, probably the most discussed dissappointment for the 09 draft. His power #'s have completely fallen off, though he has apparently been hot as of late, there is still no power there(where has it all gone?). There are other questions about his range and whether or not he will be able to stick at short. His lofty draft status seems as a combination of him playing a premium position and the possibility for him to have above average power which is yet to be seen.

James Paxton: Big time arm from Canada. He has excellent peripherals for this year yet his ERA is in the mid 5.00's last time I checked.

Alex Wilson: Returning from TJ surgery. This guy was my darkhorse candidate for top 10 only a month or so ago. Guess what? I was wrong, he has been roughed up a bit and was demoted to the bullpen. His stuff is electric though and his 95 K's in 64 innings is proof of that. In predraft mocks I remember reading someone say his stuff is #2 in the draft only to Strasburg.....I still want the O's to grab him in round 2 (which they won't because theyll prob. go HS position player)

Alex White: Another potential top 5er before the season who has apparently slipped a bit due to inconsistent performances. He is pitching much better as of late, but has definately not been pitching to what he is capable of. He now has 77 K's in 70 innings of work. I would still not mind getting him in this year's draft.

Next up biggest surprises of 09 draft........

I actually think Paxton (LHP, University of Kentucky) has improved his stock quite a bit this year -- don't get too tied up on the numbers, particularly if the peripherals and the stuff look good (which they do). Looks like a first rounder to me. Don't really disagree with most of the other stuff you wrote, though.

I actually think Paxton (LHP, University of Kentucky) has improved his stock quite a bit this year -- don't get too tied up on the numbers, particularly if the peripherals and the stuff look good (which they do). Looks like a first rounder to me. Don't really disagree with most of the other stuff you wrote, though.

I think that sometimes just looking at the numbers can be misleading. Having a 5 era in Kentucky is pretty much average as opposed to atrocious. His peripherals and that scouts seem to think he is somewhat raw makes him a guy who will probably be selected in the late first or sandwich round. At that latest . . . I think he gets selected mid-second.

He kind of seemed to come out of no where though. His periphrals look amazing though actually, except for hits allowed if I remember correctly.....

65 IP, 97 SO, 17 BB, 68 H, 10 HR

5th in Div-I for SO/9 IP -- 13.42

65 IP, 97 SO, 17 BB, 68 H, 10 HR

5th in Div-I for SO/9 IP -- 13.42

Wow, it is just a little bit better than Alex Wilson's. He has given up a few too many longballs too. I guess he was a dissappointment in my eyes because I had somewhat better expectations.....His periphs are overall good. Pretty decent walk rate as well. I guess he has bad command within the strike zone. So does someone like this guy(Paxton) who has a pretty high ceiling get drafted before a guy like Brooks Raley, a guy with a much lower ceiling but with better numbers to show for?

Wow, it is just a little bit better than Alex Wilson's. He has given up a few too many longballs too. I guess he was a dissappointment in my eyes because I had somewhat better expectations.....His periphs are overall good. Pretty decent walk rate as well. I guess he has bad command within the strike zone. So does someone like this guy(Paxton) who has a pretty high ceiling get drafted before a guy like Brooks Raley, a guy with a much lower ceiling but with better numbers to show for?

I'd put Paxton in the mid-1st to supplemental round and Raley in the late-1st to early-2nd round. Both pretty close, could see them going either way.

Archived