O's, Mora To Announce Three-Year Contract

ChrisRayRules

Interesting how the report says Melvin called Angelos himself and said he wanted this thing done.

Good, glad it's over, glad he's going to be with us. No more talk of will we sign him, will we let him go.

At least we are locking up the guys that want to be here and are good ballplayers, hopefully it sends a message to other FA's in the future.

Mora is sure putting his cell phone to good use this year...he's obviously not afraid to call anyone. If the O's miraculously won the World Series, I wouldn't be surprised if Mora called Bush, instead of the other way around. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad this is apparently over...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to say, even though I have been against the contract the whole time, I am really glad this got done and Mora can retire an O.

I think this is a good message to the rest of the younger guys that we will keep you around if you are producing and you want to be apart of this, maybe Melvin actually saw a future for this team and wanted to be there for it.

I am happy about this deal, hopefully he makes the Orioles proud, I know I am.

Great news! Mora is an offensive threat, and the heart of the team and I expect him to remain so for the next 3 seasons. We've avoided (yet another) embarassing PR disaster or losing out on another popular player because we didn't want to spend and we've rewarded a loyal player and a good man and avoided having yet another hole to fill with no viable options. I just hope it really is official. Roberts/Markakis/Mora/Tejada/Gibbons/Hernandez gives us a solid core for the next 3 years. Add one big bat to play 1st and we've got a lineup to contend with.

If the payroll is upped another 10-20 million, this contract will be ok.

But if he is making 1/7 or 1/8 of the payroll in 2008 and 2009, it could hinder us from from doing other things.

The point is IT SHOULDN'T. If it does, it's Pete being a drama queen again.

If the payroll is upped another 10-20 million, this contract will be ok.

But if he is making 1/7 or 1/8 of the payroll in 2008 and 2009, it could hinder us from from doing other things.

That's my concern as well. I like Melvin, but I was against re-signing him simply because I don't think he'll live up to his contract. If we keep operating like a small market team and the pay roll doesn't increase if Melvin declines, then we might be in trouble.

That's a good point. I have no idea what the parameters are on the contract since it hasn't been officially announced, but if we're going to overpay, we might as well overpay a guy like Mora who wants to be an Oriole and loves Baltimore. Mora is a first class guy who I'm glad will be in the orange and black for three more years.

Plus, the vast majority of big contracts are overpaying guys, but that's what you have to do in order to sign big time FA's.

That's my concern as well. I like Melvin, but I was against re-signing him simply because I don't think he'll live up to his contract. If we keep operating like a small market team and the pay roll doesn't increase if Melvin declines, then we might be in trouble.

I don't know if the O's are small market team (the team is ranked 15th in payroll which middle of the pack, "small market" should be term reserved for D-Rays, Florida, KC, Colorado, or Pitt) but let's hope that MASN pays off nicely.

I don't know if the O's are small market team (the team is ranked 15th in payroll which middle of the pack, "small market" should be term reserved for D-Rays, Florida, KC, Colorado, or Pitt) but let's hope that MASN pays off nicely.

And we've been one of the most profitable teams of late, so we can obviously spend more.

I couldn't be happier as a Birds fan. Mel is an Oriole to the core. For those that are worried about the age thing, consider this: Mel will be the same age at the end of this deal as Gary Sheffield is right now. I know that Sheffield's a little bit better of a hitter, but he also has a degenerative shoulder, which Melvin doesn't, and he's still producing. Melvin's in great shape and, moreover, consider his potential replacements, what this means to the team and what message this sends to the fans and future free agents like B Rob. Just a fantastic move for the Oriole family!!!!!!

If this happens, I couldn't be happier for Melvin. He's top-notch, an unselfish player who loves to play for the Orioles. We need all of those guys we can get. As he gets older, he'll be a great influence on the younger guys, and he's a great example to a struggling young player that you can improve.

Get it done, Pete.

That's a good point. I have no idea what the parameters are on the contract since it hasn't been officially announced, but if we're going to overpay, we might as well overpay a guy like Mora who wants to be an Oriole and loves Baltimore. Mora is a first class guy who I'm glad will be in the orange and black for three more years.

This is how I feel also. I do think that 3 years, $26 mm is a little rich. But it sends a good message to the rest of the team, just like the Gibbons signing did. Now I hope Mora goes out and has a monster year!

Archived