Luke Bailey injury

Troup (Ga.) High School catcher Luke Bailey, who will undergo Tommy John surgery next week, has revealed to our Jason Churchill that his elbow injury did indeed occur while he was pitching. Jason asked Bailey whether it happened on a breaking ball, to which Bailey responded, "I did throw a couple of curveballs, but I think it happened on a fastball, and I threw six more pitches after it happened." Link

Any idea what this will do to his draft stock? Possible slip to 2:5?

Maybe -- but if that's the case I probably go for the power guy (Austin Maddox) if I'm looking HS catcher. Bailey could end up at Auburn if he isn't getting 1st round money, and I personally wouldn't want to give it to him.

I was under the assumption that both Bailey and Maddox were easily thought of as 1st round, supplemental guys at worst. I was just thinking that since Maddox and Stassi would be gone, Bailey might slip because of this injury.

You think a HS catcher will be on the wishlist as a potential #2/successor to Wieters if we have to move him from behind the plate?

I was under the assumption that both Bailey and Maddox were easily thought of as 1st round, supplemental guys at worst. I was just thinking that since Maddox and Stassi would be gone, Bailey might slip because of this injury.

You think a HS catcher will be on the wishlist as a potential #2/successor to Wieters if we have to move him from behind the plate?

I don't know -- that's really an organizational specific. Someone like Maddox would intrigue be because his power would play at 1B/3B/RF/LF, so I'd be drafting for his power, arm and the value of each at C.

Archived