BA's Jim Callis projects the O's picking Alex White for 5th Pick

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1242323222

Jeff Ellis (Winston-Salem NC): Who will the O's take at number 5? Any chance Ackley from NC is still available?

Jim Callis: We just finished a mock first round to include in our Draft Preview, which is going out the door to the printer as we speak. That should be up on our website today or tomorrow. I had Dustin Ackley going No. 2 to Seattle, more of an educated guess than any true inside scoop. I'd take him No. 2 if I were running the draft, too. If the Mariners go in a different direction, I think either the Padres or Pirates would snatch him up before the Orioles could. I projected North Carolina RHP Alex White for Baltimore at No. 5, with Georgia high school RHP Zack Wheeler and California prep LHP Tyler Matzek as two other possibilities.

Jordan should be fired if he takes White over Matzek or Purke.

White is not a top 5 pick at all. And I think he's a reach for the top 10. Brian Moran was the best pitcher for UNC this season, not White, and Moran IIRC isn't projected to be a first rounder.

White is not a top 5 pick at all. And I think he's a reach for the top 10. Brian Moran was the best pitcher for UNC this season, not White, and Moran IIRC isn't projected to be a first rounder.

It's not about who is the best "pitcher" right now. It's more about projectability. I do not think White is a reach with the #5 pick.

It's not about who is the best "pitcher" right now. It's more about projectability. I do not think White is a reach with the #5 pick.

He may not be. Of course, he's not much to get excited about either. At least, not right now. For me. (Biases are what they are.)

Another interesting question :

Ross (CA): Hey Jim, who do you think is the overall #2 talent in this years draft behind Strasburg? By means of comparison, where do you think the #2 talent in this draft would have ranked in last years draft.

Jim Callis: Dustin Ackley. Special, special hitter and I don't think he'll have trouble moving to center field. He would have fit in very nicely in last year's draft with all those gifted college hitters. We rated Brian Matusz as the No. 2 talent before last year's draft, and I'd take Ackley over him.

Another interesting question :

Ross (CA): Hey Jim, who do you think is the overall #2 talent in this years draft behind Strasburg? By means of comparison, where do you think the #2 talent in this draft would have ranked in last years draft.

Jim Callis: Dustin Ackley. Special, special hitter and I don't think he'll have trouble moving to center field. He would have fit in very nicely in last year's draft with all those gifted college hitters. We rated Brian Matusz as the No. 2 talent before last year's draft, and I'd take Ackley over him.

As I've been saying all along. Ackley is the best hitter in the draft by far. It's a shame the O's likely won't get a shot at him...

Alex White's major league comp is Brandon Webb.

Sounds good to me. :clap3:

White only has two plus pitches compared to Matzek's and Purke's three.

His delivery is also an issue and he's had issues with his command because of it, especially this season.

I just got back from watching White pitch. Cold, rainy, windy day in BOS -- over a dozen scouts behind home (BC only has a few bleachers) a handful of others in the parking garage (which looks over the baseball field). Saw Gammons before the game hanging out on the UNC side and my buddy said Law was using twitter from the game but I didn't see him behind home. In the immediate area were scouts from WAS, COL, MIL, LAA, an independent scouting service and three other ML organizations (don't know who). Two of the same scouts were out to see Sean Black at Rutgers when I was there last weekend.

White started off in the upper-80s but was sitting low-90s by the second. He hit 96 twice (on two different guns). His sinker was very impressive; slider, not so much. He was around the strikezone all day. After a long half an inning, White ran into some trouble, allowing a couple of hard hit balls. I left after the seventh -- his last inning. White allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits and one walk, six strikeouts.

I'm going to look at and post the video tonight. Hope to have a full report up in the next day or so.

As for the rest of the potential draftees, Ackley didn't square-up on anything and struck out twice. His single was to RF, taking an outside pitch of the end of his bat and pulling a soft line drive between 2nd and 1st.

Tony Sanchez looked fantastic behind the plate -- very quiet receiver, moved well and good catch-and-throw (didn't get pop time). White got the better of Sanchez the first two at bats, but Sanchez was able to center the ball on an unimpressive slider over the outer half for a sac fly to LF.

Ackley wasn't tested in CF during the game, but he looked okay in warm-ups, good carry on his throws and showed enough arm to stick in center (provided he maintains it). He was a little tentative on a couple of in-game flies, but it was a grey sky and very windy so I don't hold it against him. Looking forward to seeing him twice more in the next two days.

Ultimately, White had good stuff and command today, so it's a shame the weather was so bad. He'll have to make the most out of his last four to seven starts (depending on the post season) to solidify a spot in the top 5, but I'd have him safely in the top 10 right now. Have to look at the mechanics before I figure exactly where I slot him.

I'll be focusing on Ackley, Sanchez, Seager, Fleury over the next two games, grabbing some video.

I just got back from watching White pitch. Cold, rainy, windy day in BOS -- over a dozen scouts behind home (BC only has a few bleachers) a handful of others in the parking garage (which looks over the baseball field). Saw Gammons before the game hanging out on the UNC side and my buddy said Law was using twitter from the game but I didn't see him behind home. In the immediate area were scouts from WAS, COL, MIL, LAA, an independent scouting service and three other ML organizations (don't know who). Two of the same scouts were out to see Sean Black at Rutgers when I was there last weekend.

White started off in the upper-80s but was sitting low-90s by the second. He hit 96 twice (on two different guns). His sinker was very impressive; slider, not so much. He was around the strikezone all day. After a long half an inning, White ran into some trouble, allowing a couple of hard hit balls. I left after the seventh -- his last inning. White allowed three runs (two earned) on six hits and one walk, six strikeouts.

I'm going to look at and post the video tonight. Hope to have a full report up in the next day or so.

As for the rest of the potential draftees, Ackley didn't square-up on anything and struck out twice. His single was to RF, taking an outside pitch of the end of his bat and pulling a soft line drive between 2nd and 1st.

Tony Sanchez looked fantastic behind the plate -- very quiet receiver, moved well and good catch-and-throw (didn't get pop time). White got the better of Sanchez the first two at bats, but Sanchez was able to center the ball on an unimpressive slider over the outer half for a sac fly to LF.

Ackley wasn't tested in CF during the game, but he looked okay in warm-ups, good carry on his throws and showed enough arm to stick in center (provided he maintains it). He was a little tentative on a couple of in-game flies, but it was a grey sky and very windy so I don't hold it against him. Looking forward to seeing him twice more in the next two days.

Ultimately, White had good stuff and command today, so it's a shame the weather was so bad. He'll have to make the most out of his last four to seven starts (depending on the post season) to solidify a spot in the top 5, but I'd have him safely in the top 10 right now. Have to look at the mechanics before I figure exactly where I slot him.

I'll be focusing on Ackley, Sanchez, Seager, Fleury over the next two games, grabbing some video.

Nice stuff. Thanks for the input. Keep up the good work. ;)

He may not be. Of course, he's not much to get excited about either. At least, not right now. For me. (Biases are what they are.)

Then please explain to me why White is projected to go in the first 10-15 picks and Moran isn't even in the first round?

White only has two plus pitches compared to Matzek's and Purke's three.

His delivery is also an issue and he's had issues with his command because of it, especially this season.

I have never seen Matzek pitch, but I have read reports that say that he right now has no plus pitches. He has 3 above average ones, all his secondaries, and they all 3 project to be atleast plus. Can anyone confirm this?

:clap3:

I can't wait for draft day, hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived