Orioles 2:5 pick

Yeah, I mean I mentioned that I had a couple guys I like in the later rounds but I guess I never really went into it. He's one of the guys I've had my eyes on, I just couldn't decide if I liked him as a second or third round guy, a couple weeks ago I was hoping he fell into 4th round territory, but I don't think that's going to happen.

He reminds me a lot of Troy Glaus with the bat and Scott Rolen with the glove, little above average arm, good range, I was on board enough just because of the defense, but he's got good pop with the bat too. Swings and misses a lot like most true power hitters, but I think with some time in the minors could be a .265 30 100 guy, and with a glove like that, that is a total bonus.

Interesting comps . . . I guess mine would be (and I hate comps) would be similar to that of Joe Crede. Mendonca being more polished . . . higher round, but I think their performance may come out similarly. Mendonca will probably fill out more.

Some of my thoughts/questions for Stotle/Crawdad/Allstar etc...

I strongly considered Mendonca, but what concerns due you have about his high strike out numbers and low walk numbers at the college level? I like what I've heard about Mendonca's defense, but I guess I have questions about the bat. Just looking at the numbers, in his junior season he has cut down on the K's and increased the walks, so hopefully he's building on that. I haven't seen him play live so hopefully someone in the know can fill me in.

On the Krauss....I think his bat is the complete package. In his three seasons at Ohio, he has walked more than he's struck out in 2 out of 3 years for a total K/BB ration of 97/129. And obviously, I love the power he has displayed. The downside is that if he is limited to 1b, his bat has to carry him, but I believe the bat plays there.

Some of my thoughts/questions for Stotle/Crawdad/Allstar etc...

I strongly considered Mendonca, but what concerns due you have about his high strike out numbers and low walk numbers at the college level? I like what I've heard about Mendonca's defense, but I guess I have questions about the bat. Just looking at the numbers, in his junior season he has cut down on the K's and increased the walks, so hopefully he's building on that. I haven't seen him play live so hopefully someone in the know can fill me in.

On the Krauss....I think his bat is the complete package. In his three seasons at Ohio, he has walked more than he's struck out in 2 out of 3 years for a total K/BB ration of 97/129. And obviously, I love the power he has displayed. The downside is that if he is limited to 1b, his bat has to carry him, but I believe the bat plays there.

I'm linking because the video helps, but here is the scouting report Jon and I posted. I saw Mendonca in the College World Series last year and saw him live at Loyola Marymount at the end of March this year. The write-up and video should help illustrate his potential issues regarding swing mechanics and what he needs to refine a bit:

Mendonca Scouting Report

I'm linking because the video helps, but here is the scouting report Jon and I posted. I saw Mendonca in the College World Series last year and saw him live at Loyola Marymount at the end of March this year. The write-up and video should help illustrate his potential issues regarding swing mechanics and what he needs to refine a bit:

Mendonca Scouting Report

Thanks for posting that.

So if he were to shorten his swing, would he still have the same amount of raw power, or would he be sacrificing some of that power to gain a higher solid contact rate? I would assume that most of the deficiencies in his swing are fixable.

Thanks for posting that.

So if he were to shorten his swing, would he still have the same amount of raw power, or would he be sacrificing some of that power to gain a higher solid contact rate? I would assume that most of the deficiencies in his swing are fixable.

Here's the problem for me. He not only has an arm bar (the lengthening of his swing when his hands stay tied to space while he starts his shift forward) he has movement leading into his stride, meaning his hands can start from slightly different points from swing to swing.

He has great bat speed, and a strong core, so I think the power is there to stay. I'd like to see changes not to dissimilar from what Reimold has done of the past couple of seasons. My amateur suggestion would be to let him keep moving his hands around pre-stride, but have him work on doing it higher (like almost exagerated -- near his ear). I think that might help him get into a better starting point.

Mendonca Scouting Report

Based on the scouting report I would love to have this guy to be our second pick. Chose a pitcher then a power potential 3b like Mendonca is and we could have a successfull draft. I think for the first 5 or 6 rounds we should stack up with pitching prospects, I know our minor leagues is weak with hitters but having and keeping an abundance of potential young arms will make our organization successfull. We have had success with pitchers going after the first two rounds and being able to sign them (Hernandez, Arrieta, Bergesson, Zagone). Hopefully we draft another high potential low signability guy like a Kevin Brady in the late rounds, although he did not sign we might be able to get a steal.

I'm hoping that we can get some combination of these guys on draft day. IDK how far Krol or Marrero will fall due to college commitments (and Krol's suspension), but these guys will be worth the extra money it takes to sign them IMO. Also, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Andrew Susac in the 3rd or 4th round...I love his power potential as a HS catcher.

1:5 Matzek/Crow/Green

2:5 Mendonca/Krauss/Maddox

3:5 Krol/Malm/Marrero

I might take a chance on Luke Bailey. The guy was supposed to be one of the top catchers in the draft before he injured his arm and had to have TJ surgery.

You can never have too many good catching prospects...

Archived