5th Pick....Why not Grant Green?

What do you see his ceiling as? I am just going on what I have read.

Stotle and I put up all of our stuff on the site we run, Camden Depot. Basically, Green can stick at short and has a bat that should be above average for a SS.

Stotle and I put up all of our stuff on the site we run, Camden Depot. Basically, Green can stick at short and has a bat that should be above average for a SS.

As much as I read you and Stotle's posts on here I did not know about your site. Looks great! I will definitely be checking that out a lot more now that I know about it.

Well, I definitely feel better about Green after reading your report, but what constitutes above average SS numbers? And how likely is he to reach that? The only problem I would have with Green is if him being a high risk for a relatively low reward of being an above average SS when you could take a high risk with one of the pitchers who could yield big rewards. Another thing that is not mentioned with Green is that he is a year behind everyone in his class (born in September 1987).

As much as I read you and Stotle's posts on here I did not know about your site. Looks great! I will definitely be checking that out a lot more now that I know about it.

Thanks. I'm putting together our war room tonight and tomorrow. It'll be linked on the main page and draft page and will be where all of the draft day activity takes place, including live comments and our top 10 targets for each round of our shadow draft (we run rounds 1-10).

We need to continue to draft the best pitching. Good pitching beats good hitting everytime. We can always purchase hitting on the free agent market. Time has shown purchasing pitching is not the way to go. Thus we draft the arms, grow them, and use them either for trades or in the rotation.

We need to continue to draft the best pitching. Good pitching beats good hitting everytime. We can always purchase hitting on the free agent market. Time has shown purchasing pitching is not the way to go. Thus we draft the arms, grow them, and use them either for trades or in the rotation.

I know that's what AM says over and over again, but that doesn't make it correct. I agree that it's hard to buy good pitching on the FA market, but I think it's also hard to buy hitting. A proven impact bat like Tex can cost just as much as a proven frontline starter. And lots of good hitters never make it to free agency. The organization has black holes at 3B and SS (well, maybe we can call SS a "grey hole" given the emergence of Florimon this season), yet I don't see any plausible free agent solutions on the horizon for next year--Joe Crede? Adrian Beltre?

I think the best philosophy for the O's is that we need to develop our own pitching AND our own hitting. That means taking the best player available, and not having a bias towards taking pitchers in the early rounds. It just so happens that this year, the BPA at 1:5 is probably going to be a pitcher, and that's fine, but I sure hope that we can pick up a good SS and/or 3B prospect somewhere in rounds 2-4.

Archived