Dinner with Flanny

Witchy_Chick

This issue was the lead topic of conversation. Mrs. Flanagan talked a lot of Accounting talk (which is sooooo beyond me) -- she specifically mentioned the debt-income ratio rule (I think that's what it's called) that Selig (IIRC) implemented around the timeframe that Tampa Bay was in jeopardy of not making payroll. She mentioned that Angelos can't provide his own money. I am completely in the dark as to why he can't provide his own money. Like I said, I have to go through all these materials she provided us. And, if there are any accountants in the house -- I may be PMing you to help me decipher this stuff. :)

Witchy

I am an accountant and would be willing to help. One quick question though - Without divulging anything confidential will the Mora contract be announced tonight?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This issue was the lead topic of conversation. Mrs. Flanagan talked a lot of Accounting talk (which is sooooo beyond me) -- she specifically mentioned the debt-income ratio rule (I think that's what it's called) that Selig (IIRC) implemented around the timeframe that Tampa Bay was in jeopardy of not making payroll. She mentioned that Angelos can't provide his own money. I am completely in the dark as to why he can't provide his own money. Like I said, I have to go through all these materials she provided us. And, if there are any accountants in the house -- I may be PMing you to help me decipher this stuff. :)

Witchy

As an accountant no longer in busy season, I would be happy to help you out with whatever financial information you received. Im not sure how to get PMs but I assume if you send me one I will see it. Thanks a lot for the report to you and everyone else. I love hearing about it.

I am an accountant and would be willing to help. One quick question though - Without divulging anything confidential will the Mora contract be announced tonight?

You are a tricky one. :) I would love it if it were announced tonight as I will be there (and may have to trespass on the field to give a big ol' bear hug to Melvin :D). However, I think I will be safe from incarceration by Baltimore City's Finest this evening. :002_scool:

Witchy

Thanks to Witchy, Helloharv et al for a very entertaining afternoon. Sounds like you guys (and ladies!) really had a night to remember. Hope to see more tidbits when I get home from work this evening! One thing- any mention of our "insiders' " information? Does it irk Flanny when stuff like that gets out? Do they instigate any of it themselves to generate excitement? Or is it for the most part completely off base?:confused::eek: Inquiring minds want to know if all those wasted hours spent refreshing over the Winter were worthless anyway:002_sbiggrin: .

You are a tricky one. :) I would love it if it were announced tonight as I will be there (and may have to trespass on the field to give a big ol' bear hug to Melvin :D). However, I think I will be safe from incarceration by Baltimore City's Finest this evening. :002_scool:

Witchy

OMG- stand by for three pages of wild speculation followed by plausable deniability!:eek: :002_sbiggrin:

Oriole fans are frustrated and they have a right to be frustrated. Seems to me that this dinner was a major PR move orchestrated by the FO. I know that's cynical and there might be some true good intentions that were aimed at keeping the fans informed. It sounds to me like the accounting stuff wasn't broken down into simple terms because Witchy, who's a pretty intelligent fan, seems to have gotten bombarded with economic terms. Did the FO admit that they screwed up on anything? I would be more impressed if I heard at least one example where they said, "Yeah we blew it". They complain about the fans getting false information and repeating it until it becomes fact. Maybe it wouldn't happen if the FO was a little more forthcoming. What would have stopped Flanagan or anyone connected with the FO from sometime between last January and when B.J. finally signed with Toronto, from coming out and telling their side of the story for the public. If you keep the fans, who are thirsty for knowledge, in the dark, can you complain when they run with the only information that is reported? No one ever knows what the payroll limit is. No one ever tells us. How about some straight up information so we know what we can expect?

BTW, thanks very much to all involved with the dinner. I really do appreciate everyone's sharing what they could

Very well put, agreed 100%.

BTW - Sunspot forum link: here. I include it because some of their crew asked many good questions. I hope they eventually get around to reporting some of their details.

So far though, when I last checked, it looked like some OH bashing was about to break out. And the ire of the posters was out in full force. Makes me appreciate this place, that much more.

Speaking of which, thanks for the civility of this thread. I don't think any of us are happy with the team's performance right now, and I think the leadership of the team needs to continue trying to address these questions and concerns with the fans. Meaning, if I hadn't been listening to the details last night, I'd still be relying on things I read elsewhere, not knowing any better. Regardless, more information = better understanding of how the FO is working to improve the team = less mis-placed blame/anger.

BTW - Sunspot forum link: here. I include it because some of their crew asked many good questions. I hope they eventually get around to reporting some of their details.

So far though, when I last checked, it looked like some OH bashing was about to break out. And the ire of the posters was out in full force. Makes me appreciate this place, that much more.

Speaking of which, thanks for the civility of this thread. I don't think any of us are happy with the team's performance right now, and I think the leadership of the team needs to continue trying to address these questions and concerns with the fans. Meaning, if I hadn't been listening to the details last night, I'd still be relying on things I read elsewhere, not knowing any better. Regardless, more information = better understanding of how the FO is working to improve the team = less mis-placed blame/anger.

But it's still only talk. No matter what they say the O's are still 14-18 and headed for their 9th losing season in a row.

Why was everyone "sworn to secrecy"?

Why not share a few more details?

I am curois as well to hear what they think of the "insiders"? Is it really Mr. or Mrs. Flanagan posting for fun? :)

Did they admit to getting any ideas off of the messege boards (SG's trades ,etc..)?

Wow, that Tony D guy is weak...

I'm anxious to read some of the questions and answers, but I don't think there will be any big revelations or Witchy would have thrown us a bone in her original post. ;)

Like I said earlier....

Interesting stuff though...thanks to everyone.

But it's still only talk. No matter what they say the O's are still 14-18 and headed for their 9th losing season in a row.

14-19 but who's counting? We will see about whether they are headed for their 9th losing season in a row. When they were 13-11 were they headed for a winning season?

Thanks very much to Witchy, Harv, and others for sharing this information. I'm really glad that you guys were able to meet the Flannagans, etc. I do not want to ruffle feathers and in no way mean this as a negative towards those who attended, but overall it sounds like a lot of what fans were told at this dinner was complete b.s. For example, every single team has to deal with the same exact insurance issues. Whatever the hidden cost is to the O's, then that's the same hidden cost to every other team. Plus the O's actually recoup substantial portions of that investment when players are injured (e.g., Belle). That's part of doing business. I think that's a terrible and very misleading "excuse". Same goes for the "value to debt" issue. That rule does not prevent Angelos from sinking his own money into the payroll, that rule would prevent Angelos from LOANING certain amounts of money to the team. Total smoke and mirrors. That even suggests that money that Angelos has provided to the team in the past may have been loans and that he is being or has been repayed. As for the long nights, weekends, holidays, etc., I don't feel sorry for these people at all. They have great jobs, very unique jobs, and they don't work any harder than a lot of O's fans. As for getting their feelings hurt, I feel that it is definitely inappropriate for fans to call Flannagan and others terrible names, etc., but IMO it's silly for anyone with an executive position, especially an executive position with a professional sports team, to be so "thin skinned." If the FO wants people to stop complaining, then the team needs to win (and even then there will be complaints, that's just life). Overall it sounds like a total PR smoke screen.

Archived