Round 19: Kipp Schutz , LF, Indiana U

6'4" 195 lbs

bats/throws L/L

a little morefrom IU website:

Joins the Hoosiers after playing three years of baseball under Andy Rice at Harrison ... had a monster season in his final year for Harrison, hitting .480 with three home runs, 35 RBIs and a .763 slugging percentage... hit 19 doubles, which were the most in the state ... was named first team all-state ... selected in the 26th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Baltimore Orioles ... hit .393 with four homers as a junior ... was named all-conference and served as his team's captain

Nice stats, but not much power.

How'd he fall to the 19th round?

I think you answered your own question there. Not much power, and he probably doesn't have the speed to play a ML CF, so he's not the ideal fit for a corner OF spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Really nice to see the pitchers progressing with a solid crew from 5-8.
    • I think you are underselling the month. Would you be unhappy if they went 3-3 to start this?  I’m honestly not expecting more than that.
    • If they play well we have a great shot to put a little distance between us and the Yankees.  That would be a great story line going into the ASB. 
    • The discussion in the offseason was, if you trade one, who do you trade. I kept going back and forth on the answer but my ultimate thought process was that Cowser is the better all around player but Kjerstad’s best tool, his power, is better than any single tool Cowser has. I still basically stand by that thought.    This is a long winded way of saying Kjerstad’s power is just better than Cowser’s, so he definitely can get away with things that Cowser can’t. You have pointed out a lot of warning track outs for Cowser. I would suspect many of those would be homers off of Kjerstad’s bat.
    • The panic is crazy.  Of course we need to upgrade for a WS run, that’s the prudent thing to do.  But the panic is just that, emotional thinking causing lapse in judgement. We are 4th in all MLB in ER given up, 3rd in era, & 3rd in FIP.  The pitching is doing quite well.    I keep hearing that Elias has done nothing about the pitching.  But here we are as one of the elite pitching teams in baseball right now and below is what Fangraphs had to say about the system.  Why are people still saying our organization has ignored pitching? Why are people suggesting trading potential generational talent for mediocre pitching upgrades?  There are so many interesting pitchers in this system that it was tough to include them all. There’s an org we’re aware of whose scouts need to write a full report on a player if he touches 95 in front of them. If you’re a scout from that team covering Baltimore, you’ve had to write up more than 80 pitchers based on their peak velo alone. The retaining wall of arms is strong in the upper levels, giving the Orioles the pitching depth to contend amid injuries.  
    • I never like getting ahead of myself, or assume we will dominate bad teams.  I know we had one poster who was saying we really should sweep Houston.  Uh, yeah.    But honestly, we’re a .630 winning percentage team, and this is a soft part of our schedule.  15-10 would disappoint me greatly.  16-9 would be okay but a missed opportunity.     
    • So you give up 2 top 100 prospects for 2 seasons and a limited second half? I’m glad you’re not in control. I know we’re currently a bit spoiled with the tanking and better front office. But I don’t see why you’d want to give up 3-4 players that include 2 of those guys. 
  • Popular Contributors