O's Getting Serious About Sano?

Lucky Jim

No, but if you met Scott Boras you would probably ask him about Teixeira and accept the fact that he's going to be a little biased for his client. Still, you'l like to hear what he has to say. You could say "Yeah Scott, but your biased" but there's really no reason to because that's understood. No biggie. I understand what you are saying.

Sure. I think it's interesting to hear an agent talk about his clients. Boras talking about Teixeira on the MLB Network after he signed with the Yankees was one of the most interesting 15minutes of television I've seen. But I put next to no stock in their opinion from an analytical standpoint, and to answer my own question I wouldn't really put any stock into Boras's grading out of any of his clients. Even if he were to only quote what others have said, I'd be reasonably sure that I was only getting the highest praises and certainly none of the critiques.

I do think noting what in particular an agent talks about can be almost more interesting than what he actually says. I thought it was interesting that Boras talked much more about Mark's desire to win, his impressive interviews with the various clubs, etc. much more than any of Teixeira's physical talents. I likewise find it interesting how highly Pat Murphy has spoken of Mike Leake's work ethic, volunteer work and athleticism, as well as Spence's feel for pitching, rather than the results or quality of their respective arsenals.

From my little experience on this board (and others), I don't take the bolded for granted anymore. :)

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think because Sano's agent isn't a known commodity, and because the Latin America market isn't well understood by most of us (the process for identifying talent and bidding on said talent), this point is being lost.

Putting it into more accessible terms, if you were looking for an assessment of Mark Teixeira's abilities, would you go to Scott Boras circa December 2008 for that assessment?

While I agree and understand your points here, I could use a little clarification. Sano's agent (Rob Plummer) is very well established and 'known' in the Latin-based markets and to ML organizations. I'm not sure what you meant by saying he isn't a known commodity. It could be that you were implying that most people just don't recognize his name? Again, a bit of clarification would help. Thanks. :)

While I agree and understand your points here, I could use a little clarification. Sano's agent (Rob Plummer) is very well established and 'known' in the Latin-based markets and to ML organizations. I'm not sure what you meant by saying he isn't a known commodity. It could be that you were implying that most people just don't recognize his name? Again, a bit of clarification would help. Thanks. :)

I think that's right - we have no experience w/ him to know how to read the interaction of self-interest (which isn't a criticism) and objective analysis.

He doesn't have to. The teams (and what their Dominican scouts are telling them) bidding for him is what will set the price. Obviously, more people are excited about this kid than were about Flores. Not saying Flores won't wind up the better player but it's just like you can't guarantee that Eric Hosmer winds up a better player than Tyler Townsend. The price being talked about for Sano is already in the 4-5 million area. Did Plummer set that price? Don't know, but teams will pay what they think he's worth and I haven't seen anything in print where people are saying he's not worth close to that.

Oh, I definitely agree with you. I'm not trying to get an accurate evaluation/valuation of Sano from his own agent, I was more interested in how he answers the question.

I guarantee you he has an interesting answer.

Known to the average baseball fan, Greg, as opposed to someone like Boras.

Known to the average baseball fan, Greg, as opposed to someone like Boras.
I think that's right - we have no experience w/ him to know how to read the interaction of self-interest (which isn't a criticism) and objective analysis.

Very good... I was not quite sure. Thank you. :)

Once again, I agree whole-heartedly.

I think if you are covering all of your bases as an agent for a player, that finding out what the pulse is of the hard core fans will give you an idea on some basic underlying issues for an organization.

Boras would use this information to go to the management to possibly say something along the following: "Your numbers are dwindling because you have had 11 losing seasons. You have some very good young players coming up, but you need my ***fill in the blank superstar stud*** to take you to the next level. How much is that type of player and seat filler worth to your organization? Can you not afford to appease some of your fans? How many extra seats did Matt W. sell on the homestand when he made his major league debut? How much did the viewership increase now that he is in the majors? Take that number and double it because my guy is special and will appeal to the latin fans in your area. Think of the marketing this will get you. When was the last time you had a great young Dominican player? etc, etc..."

That is the approach I would take when dealing with the Pirates, Orioles, etc. I would do this with every team if I was an agent for a sought after commodity. So I think that the agent reading this board is a two way beneficial street. He gets some research and we get to ask some generalized questions. If he likes the way the conversation goes and his player signs elsewhere, maybe he still visits in the future to provide valuable information from the industry's point of view that we currently don't have access to. So I say welcome Rob and best of luck to you and your client and future clients.:) Chris

From my point of view, while it would be freaking awesome if we signed Sano and he panned out. The bigger point for me is that even if the Orioles sign him and he never pans out. It was the willingness to pay to play the game that I think will stand out as a complete changing of the guard and express our intentions to come out of the MLB basement.

You gotta pay if you wanna play.

Archived