Fox Sports: Look for the O's to start moving veterans.

My O's Face

I'm concerend that if we trade Huff, Wigginton won't be a sufficient replacement for him. Additionally, who's going to be the backup CI? .

Wigginton will be backup corner infielder.

Huff will be replaced by someone better than Wigginton, and better than Huff is this year. Neither is hard to accomplish.

Hanging on to mediocre or fading players just because you can't see who replaces them is a good way to guarantee mediocrity.

Adam Jones is hard to replace. Aubrey Huff isn't.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But OHHHHHHHHH if we could, huh?!?!?!?!

I'd love to see a conversation between you and Adam Jones where you suggest they take a dump on this season to have a crack at a 16 year old kid who's never done anything at any level approaching professional baseball.

Is that really a much more objectionable position than holding onto a bunch of ML players with trade value simply to scrape towards 70 wins?

Is that really a much more objectionable position than holding onto a bunch of ML players with trade value simply to scrape towards 70 wins?

If you want to trade the players away, fine, but do it because you think long-term that it will help the team. Not because you want to tank the season in mid-June to draft a 16-year-old who may or may not even be draft eligible in 2010.

I agree with everything but the "innings eater" part. Relative to who, Eaton?

Roy Halladay he is not but his IP/GS the last two years were 6.3 and 6.4. Last year that puts him in the top 10 in the American League and top 25 in all of baseball. This year his number is all the way down to 5.8 which is 45th in the American League but when you take out the brutal .2 inning disaster in Oakland the number jumps back up to slightly over 6.0 and back into the top 30 and above league average. By no means is he a poster boy for the term "innings eater" but he pretty consistently goes 6 plus innings which in today's game I'd think qualifies him as an innings eater for most teams.

Smartest post I've ever seen from someone living in Cecil County. Oh, who am I kidding, I teach in a Waldorf school zone. I'd kill to be living in Cecil County right now.

If you've seen Halladay that's the prototype for an innings eating sort of pitcher. But I don't think it's a stretch to label Guthrie as an innings eater. The problem is we've been seeing too many 6IP 4ER outings. That's not the kind of innings eater you want. There's tons of guys who can give you an effort like that. Guthrie just needs to command his pitches better, and he's shown in the past two years that he can do just that. He'll come around soon in my opinion.

I;m hearing Guthrie and Baez will be moved for sure. It will take a major league ready young player to get Huff. Scott isn;t going anywhere.

If the Orioles get a mid-level prospect for Baez, that's enough to move him. This will likely happen. 90% probability IMO.

I find it hard to believe that Guthrie will be moved "for sure." MacPhail will require a hefty package in return, as he should, and I doubt anyone offers up enough to qualify. 20% probability IMO.

It seems the O's are putting the appropriate value on Huff. With the good chance that he could be a Type A free agent, and the likelihood that he would reject arbitration, MacPhail is right to demand in return a major league ready (AA+) SS, 3B or 1B prospect in return. 50% probability IMO.

Scott not going anywhere is music to my ears. I truly believe that, when healthy, Scott's current production is about what can be expected from him over the next 2-3 years. He should be a centerpiece of the O's lineup during that time. 5% probability of being traded before the deadline IMO.

If the Orioles get a mid-level prospect for Baez, that's enough to move him. This will likely happen. 90% probability IMO.

I find it hard to believe that Guthrie will be moved "for sure." MacPhail will require a hefty package in return, as he should, and I doubt anyone offers up enough to qualify. 20% probability IMO.

It seems the O's are putting the appropriate value on Huff. With the good chance that he could be a Type A free agent, and the likelihood that he would reject arbitration, MacPhail is right to demand in return a major league ready (AA+) SS, 3B or 1B prospect in return. 50% probability IMO.

Scott not going anywhere is music to my ears. I truly believe that, when healthy, Scott's current production is about what can be expected from him over the next 2-3 years. He should be a centerpiece of the O's lineup during that time. 5% probability of being traded before the deadline IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree with the content of your post but where do you get all these "probability" percentages from ---the sky? :confused: I mean who are you, Jimmy the Greek?:laughlol: I have not seen anyone post like this. Kind of bizarre!:eek:

I don't necessarily disagree with the content of your post but where do you get all these "probability" percentages from ---the sky? :confused: I mean who are you, Jimmy the Greek?:laughlol: I have not seen anyone post like this. Kind of bizarre!:eek:

Probabilities are a way to express succinctly the confidence you have in predictions you are making. If you prefer, 90% is the equivalent to extremely likely, 50% is the equivalent to possibly, and 20% is the equivalent to not very likely. Is that better, O Lord of the OriolesHangout?

The last thing I'd be worried about (as the Orioles) in trading Baez or Huff is the money. The money is a sunk cost, and I'd hate to take a lesser player--or miss on a trade entirely--because of some cash. If I was AM, and had Angelos' permission, I'd eat all of the Baez and Huff salaries over the league minimum in order to upgrade the return on the deal.

I'll miss Guthrie, but also believe he's going to fare quite well in the National League.

If Scott can hold his own at 1B, I'd work him there and at DH. Wigginton would get time at 1B, 3B and DH. Salazar at 1B and DH (if he didn't go back to Norfolk). Reimold at LF and DH. Pie at LF, CF and RF. Moving Huff can certainly free up some time for those guys.

I question how much of a market there is for Huff. It was odd how last summer despite his really strong numbers there was almost no interest in him at the deadline. His numbers this year, so far, are not as good, and even though he's in the last year of his contract I don't see what will have changed so much in the last year.

I question how much of a market there is for Huff. It was odd how last summer despite his really strong numbers there was almost no interest in him at the deadline. His numbers this year, so far, are not as good, and even though he's in the last year of his contract I don't see what will have changed so much in the last year.

The difference is that this season there are more needs for a left-handed power hitters due to a number of injuries or ineffective performances. Huff can play 1st, 3rd or DH, which makes him usefull in either league. And, there isn't a huge monetary commitment involved in his acquisition. He's also historically been a better second half hitter. So, the demand this year is higher than last year. I can definitely see us getting a prospect of value for Huff.

Manny Parra was sent down by the Brewers this weekend. Maybe Guthrie appeals to them.

Getting something for Baez would be a big win, especially if we were talking about this in March. I like the Dodgers for him. He'd set up Broxton. And I like Gordon (SS in A ball). With Furcal and DeJesus, they may be willing to bite.[/quote

I could see Baez going back to the Rays. Bartlett is back, maybe Brignac is available. I think the sign that a trade is close for Baez will be when the use him in back to back games. In order for a contender to take him he will have to do this. Baez closed for them before, maybe he could do it again.

Probabilities are a way to express succinctly the confidence you have in predictions you are making. If you prefer, 90% is the equivalent to extremely likely, 50% is the equivalent to possibly, and 20% is the equivalent to not very likely. Is that better, O Lord of the OriolesHangout?

Pretty good....I am 90% on getting a headache trying to keep your scale in focus.

For some reason I have a hunch that if we do make a deal, we'll package two players from the list to the same team.

Relief pitching seems like a need for almost everybody. I could envision packaging, say, Huff and Baez to get the ML ready position player we want along with a couple mid-level pitching prospects.

Maybe Guts could merit a return like that by himself, but I think the best option may be a package deal. Huff and Baez could turn a good team into a legitimate contender. And we could have a true centerpiece in return. AM isn't going to settle for spare parts and has shown a willingness to eat some salary.

Which teams, if any, have multiple needs that we could matchup with?

Archived