Fox Sports: Look for the O's to start moving veterans.

My O's Face

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9679430/Look-for-O's-to-start-moving-veterans

The Rockies, Mariners, Indians and A's have played well enough over the past two weeks that their midseason auctions appear to be on hold. That is not true for the Baltimore Orioles.

The Orioles are running fifth in baseball's best division, and there is almost no chance that they will rally and make the playoffs.

But here's the good news: While other teams remain in limbo, the Orioles should have plenty of chances to trade veterans and augment the future core of Brian Roberts, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis and Matt Wieters.

"Several teams have already inquired about left-handed hitters Aubrey Huff and Luke Scott", an industry executive said Saturday.

Huff will probably be moved before the July 31 non-waiver deadline, because he's in the final year of a contract that pays him $8 million this year. (He doesn't have a no-trade provision, either.) Scott is a less obvious trade candidate, because he's not scheduled to be a free agent until after the 2012 season.

The Reds, Giants, Tigers and Braves — each of whom would like to add power at one corner position or another — are among the teams that could match up well in trade talks with the Orioles.

Huff, 32, has been Baltimore's everyday first baseman and also could have appeal to American League teams seeking a designated hitter. With a .755 OPS, Huff is well behind last year's pace, when he batted .304 with 32 home runs and 108 RBIs.

Scott, who turns 31 next week, was the Orioles' left fielder last year but is now their primary DH. His defense in left might be a tick below average, according to a rival team official, but he fits as an everyday player there because of his power. He's hitting .314 with 14 home runs and 36 RBIs in 45 games.

The Braves, 4-5 since acquiring center fielder Nate McLouth, remain open to upgrading at the corner outfield positions, where Jeff Francoeur, Garret Anderson and Matt Diaz have offered little extra-base power this year.

The Tigers pursued Huff and Scott when they were playing for different teams three years ago, and either would be a good fit for Detroit's lineup now. The Tigers have had below-average production at DH and both corner outfield spots this year, and the team's scouts are already checking around for another bat.

Class AAA outfielder Wilkin Ramirez, who might be ready to make an impact in the majors next year, would be one of Detroit's best trade chips.

"The thing is, if they hold on to Ramirez for one more year, he might be the answer himself," one American League scout said. "And they may have enough to squeak through and win that division with what they have now."

Tigers officials have said they won't be able to add payroll this year, but perhaps they could find a way to squeeze Scott onto the roster. Once the trade deadline arrives, he will be due $800,000 of his $2.4 million salary.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I;m hearing Guthrie and Baez will be moved for sure. It will take a major league ready young player to get Huff. Scott isn;t going anywhere.

Really? They are ready to trade Guthrie now, huh?

I didn't think it was likely Scott would get moved...Just hope they don't close the door to the possibility.

I would be happy with Huff, Baez and Guthrie being moved and, if we can obtain a JJ Hardy like guy, Izturis as well.

I;m hearing Guthrie and Baez will be moved for sure. It will take a major league ready young player to get Huff. Scott isn;t going anywhere.

I wouldn't object to that. Just not sure what we could get back for Guts since he's struggling right now.

Manny Parra was sent down by the Brewers this weekend. Maybe Guthrie appeals to them.

Getting something for Baez would be a big win, especially if we were talking about this in March. I like the Dodgers for him. He'd set up Broxton. And I like Gordon (SS in A ball). With Furcal and DeJesus, they may be willing to bite.

Whoa, wtf?! Guthrie won't move.

I think Guts certainly gets moved , Its not that we have no reason to keep him, but its not a big one. You always trade what you have a lot of for something you have little of, I.E. infielder players, If we could get a decent SS prospect or 3rd base prospect and a mid tier pitching prospect I think we pull the trigger on that, I think it takes more to move huff than guthrie, as I think we have hopes of him playing with us next year. I like guthrie don't get me wrong. However I do think we move him, as by this time next year, he is either blocking another prospect, or he is dead weight.

End of the day, the Orioles have several pieces to trade and could easily replace a lot of those pieces...We should be active this July.

Don't we say this EVERY trading dead-line? Let's just put it this way, if AM makes any moves I'll be surprised.

Excellent news on Scott. I think Guthrie could still have a place in next year's rotation, but wouldn't object too much if the trade is a good one.

Not sure I understand the stipulation on Huff.

This is not a good time to trade Guthrie. We would be selling low. Hopefully he can get the ERA back down to a respectable number. I think he would be ideal for an NL team or a team that plays in a small ballpark. Don't feel like we HAVE to trade him. Huff and Baez are the guys who should be moved, but with their contracts we can only expect so much back. I do not see us getting a major league ready young player for Huff, not the kind of player anyway that can be expected to make major contributions in the future. And I would want a major package for Luke Scott. He is cheap, in his prime, and under team control through 2012. So unless we are blown away by something, I don't see him being moved either.

I have said this before: You can't trade players that you just signed to mult-year contracts. It's bad business. Wigginton and Izturiz are not going anywhere. And it would be a horrible idea to trade Wigginton anyway, since his numbers are almost certain to go up significantly. Wigginton could be the replacement for Mora next year, so I think he stays.

Archived