Fox Sports: Look for the O's to start moving veterans.

My O's Face

In an ideal world, you make sure your bases are covered for 2010 before you trade Guthrie for help that would mostly come to fruition in 2011 and beyond. In the real world, if you can attract a blow-me-away offer for Guts this year, do you turn that down because there's a more-than-even chance that it hurts any modest opportunity you may otherwise have at making a run for the playoffs in 2010? At this point, it turns into a dilemma which can neither be dismissed out-of-hand nor embraced automatically. Sometimes, though, you have to shave your probability on a near-term playoff run if the long-term gain looks enticing enough.

That why Andy gets paid the big buck. He will decide if the deal offered for Guthrie is a blow-me-away deal and if it is worth the effect it will have on 2010.

I am just saying that the O's probably can't rely on a rotation with two rookies and two of five question marks to be a pennant contender. Guthrie has value to the O's. It will take that blow-me-way offer to get him. I think Andy is up to making the decision.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I;m hearing Guthrie and Baez will be moved for sure. It will take a major league ready young player to get Huff. Scott isn;t going anywhere.

I hope all of that happens-and doesn't happen. Scott should not be traded unless they really knock the Orioles' socks off with an offer. He's coming into his own and will be a 30-100 guy if he stays healthy.

However, I wouldn't be so demanding in the case of Huff because he's not doing that great.A real good double-A prospect or two should be satisfactory for him.

After watching guys like Hughes, Kennedy, Bucholtz, and even Lester to some extent this season, come to the big leagues and take their lumps, why do people think that we can contend in 2010? Are our prospects really better than these guys and going to be able to come in and lead us to the postseason next year? Personally, I don't think so. All moves made should be focused on 2011 and beyond.

Why not move Guts to the bullpen down the line if he continues to be mediocre and the youngsters are ready to push through? He's under control for a little bit and I think he'd make a fantastic middle to late reliever capable of giving two innings instead of just one.

I think Berken will go first (for Hernandez), then Hill (for Patton), and then Guts (for Tillman). I think Berken should be tried in the pen though I'm not overly optimistic, Hill will be done as an Oriole when they do this, and that Guts will be a good reliever.

Why not move Guts to the bullpen down the line if he continues to be mediocre and the youngsters are ready to push through? He's under control for a little bit and I think he'd make a fantastic middle to late reliever capable of giving two innings instead of just one.

I think Berken will go first (for Hernandez), then Hill (for Patton), and then Guts (for Tillman). I think Berken should be tried in the pen though I'm not overly optimistics, Hill will be done as an Oriole when they do this, and that Guts will be a good reliever.

Because why would we want a mediocre bullpen too?

Does anyone realize how bad we'll be if we move Guts, Baez, Sherrill, Izturis, Huff, Scott, and Wigginton?

We can't move Huff AND Scott, and we can't move Baez AND Sherrill. We shouldn't move Izturis, and nobody will want Wigginton unless we pay part of the tab.

I doubt Guthrie's value has taken too much of a hit from where it was this offseason as long as the advanced scouts don't see a big difference in his stuff. IMO, scouting and track record have the biggest impact on trade value, especially for pitchers. Same thing going the other way when people say throw Baez, Sherrill,etc into the closers role to vulture saves to increase their value. I just don't think surface stats like Saves, Wins, and to an extent ERA have that much effect on a players value.

That said, I still would be pretty suprised to see Guthrie moved. He is another guy who will have as much if not more value to our team in the coming years than almost anywhere else he could go. He is an innings eating #3 guy under our control for 3 more years and will probably be viewed as someone who can help mentor and stabalize such a young staff.

Does anyone realize how bad we'll be if we move Guts, Baez, Sherrill, Izturis, Huff, Scott, and Wigginton?

We can't move Huff AND Scott, and we can't move Baez AND Sherrill. We shouldn't move Izturis, and nobody will want Wigginton unless we pay part of the tab.

I seriously doubt we would move all of those guys. I think you are looking at Guts (Based upon BB's statement), Baez (Based upon his contract and 2009 peformance) and one of either Huff or Scott. I don't see us giving up anyone else from the ML roster, but I could see us adding some MIL guys to sweeten the pot for a real stud SS or 3B prospect. Is this too much:

Guts, Baez and Hernandez for Josh Vitters and a prospect?

No, it's not. You listed 3 guys who came out the other end. They have zilch to do with the many, many guys who never made it.

Just because somebody wins the lottery, that doesn't mean it's a good investment to buy lottery tickets...

You also named three guys (well, types) that came out YOUR end, which has zilch to do with all of the guys who DO make it.

Just because somebody loses money in the stock market, that doesn't mean it's a bad investment to buy stocks.

Archived