Awesome Article on Caleb Joseph

Hank Scorpio

He will be one of our top 5 prospects soon enough. He may be the lone position player on the top 5....After the Big 3 graduate, itll probably be:

Hobgood

Britton

Joseph

Erbe

Avery?

Its so hard to guage it right now though because some guys are gonna step it up, some may fall of. Spoone, Bundy and Beal are all wildcards, any of them could put good numbers up and will become a top 5 guy in the organization. Others to watch will be the HS arms we took this year, and also position players Givens and Townsend assuming the unsigned as of right now do sign....

I think he needs to develop more power before he's considered elite. Some guys will be above him based on potential, much more than performance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he needs to develop more power before he's considered elite. Some guys will be above him based on potential, much more than performance.

He's got to add some muscle on those scrawny bones of his focus on those arms and pecks. Go take a lesson from Adams, Bobby Stevens and Kraig Binick on what an upper body is, lol! :D

He's got to add some muscle on those scrawny bones of his focus on those arms and pecks. Go take a lesson from Adams, Bobby Stevens and Kraig Binick on what an upper body is, lol! :D

Watch it AVencill - you keep talking like that and they're going to take your clubhouse pass away. ;)

Reading this made me think of Rube from Major League 2. :D
Mr. Parkman, you're a good ball player, but I want to say, that you're standing on the tracks and the train's is about to come through, bonehead.
What kind of speed does he have? Can you compare his speed to someone I'd know?

...hope he eats more than pizza. :laughlol:

My momma always said, "It's better to eat **** than to not eat at all.

:mwahaha::mwahaha:

I agree, before he is considered elite he probably will, but he apparently has some pretty good pop already, he hit 25 HR's last year between college and pro ball which was around 500 AB's.....Once this power does come through for him at the pro level though yes I agree, and believe because of his position he may get a lofty rank once he makes it to the higher minors....

Why all the talk about a position change? If he turns out to be a good hitter on the big league level then I would rather they split time with Wieters 50/50 and DH Wieters the other part of the time. Surely that may help Wieters stay behind the plate for many more years and be healthier.

Any chance Joseph can learn how to play third base? Maybe he could be a Brandon Inge-type utility player for us, very valuable.

I think Inge could be a great comp for Joseph. Imagine if we had a guy who could play 3B everyday and allow Wieters to DH occasionally without the risk of having to lose the DH if somehting would happen to the backup catcher?

Everything I have heard abut this kid is positive and yes, I think Bowie could use him right now. As much as I like Donachie's work behind the plate, Guillermo Rodriguez looks like a guy collecting a pay check and who doens't want to be a Double-A. Joseph would bring some energy and enthusiasm as well as a needed stick to that Bowie lineup.

He's been a pleasent surprise and with Reimold and Wieters graduating off the prospect list, he's looking like the number two hitting prospect in the organization right now behind Snyder.

A big advantage to somebody like Joseph in Baltimore is that you have an excellent back-up to Wieters who can actually hit. That way, you don't pull Wieters or your regular DH out of the lineup when you're resting Matt, in favor of a back-up catcher who can't hit a lick. That's the way it's been in Baltimore for years (with Zahn's exception).And, when not catching those 40 games or so, Joseph could play third and stay in the lineup that way.

Another article: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?StoryID=92368

Before the draft, Joseph found out that the Triple A Nashville Sound was looking for a bullpen catcher. He signed with them figuring he would be there about two weeks if he was drafted.

"I didn't want to go two weeks without doing anything. So I applied for the job," he said. "I got a jersey, they let me on the field, it was a pretty cool setup. I even told them I would do it for free. They tried to pay me $25 a game, but I told them I would not accept it. I was having too much fun."

Archived