Ranking Our Top Ten Pitchers

WietersCorner

The list can not include pitchers on our current major league roster (Bergesen, Hernandez, Mickolio, Berken).

1. Matusz

2. Tillman

3. Arrieta

4. Hobgood

5. Britton

6. Erbe

7. Patton

8. Beal

9. Bundy

10. Spoone

Edit: Also make a list including rookie pitchers go up to 15

1. Matusz

2. Tillman

3. Arrieta

4. Bergesen

5. Hobgood

6. Erbe

7. Hernandez

8. Patton

9. Beal

10. Bundy

11. Spoone

12. Drake

13. Mickolio

14. Berken

15. Liz

:eek:Wow our organization has come a long way in the last few years. This would be a pretty good overall top 10 for many other teams.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd probably go with a similar list and add Zagone and Drake in the bottom five and remove Hobgood (no pro innings yet) and Spoone (has not pitched in 2009). They would be in the next five if a list went to 15.

Starters:

1A. Matusz (nearly interchangable with Tillman)

1B. Tillman (nearly interchangable with Matusz)

3. Arrieta

4. Britton

5. Patton

6. Erbe

7. Drake

8. Zagone

9. Beal

10. Bundy

Remember when a list would have included Berken, Hernandez, and Bergesen? You can buy the bats...

Matusz

Tillman

Arietta

Hobgood

Britton

Spoone

Beal

Bundy

Erbe

Drake

I dont understand why Britton keeps getting placed lower than Hobgood. Britton will be at Bowie next season and is our best non-Top 3 pitching prospect right now. Hobgood, hasnt pitched a single inning and will be in the rookie league. I like him, but I am going to hold off on ranking him high.

Also, until Spoone shows he is healthy, I believe him to be a non-factor. I like him too, but if we get anythign from him that should be a plus.

I dont understand why Britton keeps getting placed lower than Hobgood. Britton will be at Bowie next season and is our best non-Top 3 pitching prospect right now. Hobgood, hasnt pitched a single inning and will be in the rookie league. I like him, but I am going to hold off on ranking him high.

Also, until Spoone shows he is healthy, I believe him to be a non-factor. I like him too, but if we get anythign from him that should be a plus.

The high ranking of Hobgood is based on his potential. Hobgood already has a plus FB and CB.

Matusz

Tillman

Arietta

Hobgood

Britton

Spoone

Beal

Bundy

Erbe

Drake

I agree with most of the names in the top ten, just not the order.

You place Spoone pretty high despite his injury, but it seems that you knock Erbe down for his injury this year. Overall I like the list, but I'd place Erbe just behind Britton for now, even though I think that Erbe could make the "Big 3" the "Big 4."

Matusz

Tillman

Arrieta

Hobgood

Britton

Erbe

Bundy

Beal

Patton

Drake

Spoone (#11 until he proves his health)

best of the rest: Rick Zagone, Justin Moore, Pedro Beato, Tim Bascom, 2009 Draftees-Wirsch, Henry, Tolliver, Berry, Cowan?

1. B. Matusz

2. C. Tillman

3. J. Arrieta

4. Z. Britton

5. M. Hobgood

6. B. Erbe

7. B. Bundy

8. O. Drake

9. T. Patton

10. R. Zagone

I have not really learned enough about J. Beal yet to form an opinion about him...sorry!

1.) Chris Tillman - Most major-league ready. Proved himself at AA last year, is proving himself at AAA this year - he's legit, ladies and gentlemen. The Tillman Countdown begins now. I honestly think he's going to be as big a part of this franchise going forward as Matt Wieters.

2.) Brian Matusz - Hasn't thrown 100 innings in the majors yet, but threw over 300 in college, so his arm is tested. I think he'll pitch in AAA before the season is over, and might even get one or two starts in the majors. He'll compete for a spot in the 2010 Opening Day rotatioin during Spring Training next year.

3.) Jake Arrieta - Interchangable with Matusz. Has thrown a lot of innings in the minors and has never not pitched well. His numbers aren't as good at AAA right now, but what of it? Give him the rest of the year, and he'll probably get a shot during Spring Training next year.

4.) Patton - Hot prospect, but he's gotten hurt, so that raises some red flags. Patton will get his shot at some point during 2010, but I don't think he has the inside track the way the three above him do.

5.) Zachary Britton - He's thrown a lot of innings, but he still walks too many guys. He's young, so the clock is maybe a year slower: 2011 is his year, I think.

6.) Brandon Erbe - Up, down, up...let's let him take another season or two. There's been some hype about him because he's finally starting to mature, but he's still at least a full year away.

7.) Matt Hobgood - The sky is the limit. The best of the "unknown quantities" because, well, he's completley unknown. Ask me again in a few years.

Big dropoff after this, a lot of them become totally interchangable.

Archived