Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

Oh please. Meredith had options, Salazar didn't. That's all that this comes down to. Salazar would have been DFA'd tomorrow.

The fact that the Orioles would DFA Salazar over Andino or Pie is the problem.

That's not putting value on the correct players. We need and will need Salazar's bat off the bench more than we need a defensive replacement or PR.

Just because he's 31 doesn't mean he couldn't be a valuable, cheap piece to a contending Orioles team.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy Salazar hit well enough in his limited chances this season to net us ANYTHING at all, let alone a young potentially usable bullpen piece. Good job AM!

Can we please remember Salazar is well-below average defensively for every position he "plays." I hope he keeps up the hot bat but I won't be surprised if he isn't very productive there. Fly Oscar! You are free! Fly fast and strong! Godspeed my friend!

The fact that the Orioles would DFA Salazar over Andino or Pie is the problem.

That's not putting value on the correct players. We need and will need Salazar's bat off the bench more than we need a defensive replacement or PR.

Just because he's 31 doesn't mean he couldn't be a valuable, cheap piece to a contending Orioles team.

It's not like Andino and Pie don't bring anything to the table, so please stop acting like they don't.

Andino has filled in very admirably for Izturis, he's not a total bust with the bat. He could very well be our backup middle infielder for the future.

Pie still might have a bit of trade value, he hasn't had any steady playing time here, but he's had some flashes of brilliance. He's got the tools and you can't deny that. If not, he's a capable 4th outfielder.

It has absolutely nothing to do with age, try wrapping your head around it. I defended you a few posts ago but now you're falling back into your typical routine.

Its about roster flexibility. Read it a few times and try to let it sink in, please.

I'm happy Salazar hit well enough in his limited chances this season to net us ANYTHING at all, let alone a young potentially usable bullpen piece. Good job AM!

Can we please remember Salazar is well-below average defensively for every position he "plays." I hope he keeps up the hot bat but I won't be surprised if he isn't very productive there. Fly Oscar! You are free! Fly fast and strong! Godspeed my friend!

Fangraphs showed his bat to be very valuable for a bench player despite his defense.

Salazar shouldn't have had to net anything, he never should have been traded.

Frankly if MacPhail wasn't going to keep him on the 25 man roster, he should have never been brought up in the first place.

It's not like Andino and Pie don't bring anything to the table, so please stop acting like they don't.

Andino has filled in very admirably for Izturis, he's not a total bust with the bat. He could very well be our backup middle infielder for the future.

Pie still might have a bit of trade value, he hasn't had any steady playing time here, but he's had some flashes of brilliance. He's got the tools and you can't deny that. If not, he's a capable 4th outfielder.

It has absolutely nothing to do with age, try wrapping your head around it. I defended you a few posts ago but now you're falling back into your typical routine.

Its about roster flexibility. Read it a few times and try to let it sink in, please.

Salazar could have been a piece to the future, Andino, Pie and Meredith are not IMO. Do we reallly need to worry about roster flexibility on a team going nowhere this season. Shouldn't we worry about keeping potential pieces that can be part of a contending team, instead of keeping projects that haven't filled their potential?

Fangraphs showed his bat to be very valuable for a bench player despite his defense.

Frankly if MacPhail wasn't going to keep him on the 25 man roster, he should have never been brought up in the first place.

I have a faint memory of my little man-crush on J.R. House when we had Paul Bako as our back-up catcher but this, Jtrea, is bordering on full-blown throw-me-in-the-padded-cell-drool-laden-OBSESSION!

Take a short step back and realize you are ready to take a bullet for a fringe major leaguer who, based on his career numbers, looks to be playing over his head. As a fan of his Trea, be happy for him possibly getting some more playing time that he wasn't going to get here.

Salazar could have been a piece to the future, Andino, Pie and Meredith are not IMO. Do we reallly need to worry about roster flexibility on a team going nowhere this season. Shouldn't we worry about keeping potential pieces that can be part of a contending team, instead of keeping projects that haven't filled their potential?

Set your personal biases aside and please show logical reasons why Andino and Pie are of no help to our future, please.

And contention for a team never hinges on your 25th man. I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

I don't agree with your assessment of Salazar's future with the O's, but I'm also beginning to wonder about AM's apparent taste for reclamation projects.

FWIW, Meredith doesn't qualify as unfulfilled potential IMO. He has more in common with Rich Hill than Felix Pie insofar as he's had ML success only to lose his way afterward. As far as Pie is concerned, I no longer understand giving him a roster spot just so he can gather dust, so I guess we're in agreement there.

I think roster management is very important to a team that is committed to carrying 12-13 pitchers and this looks like the Orioles' reality for the forseeable future. If we were consistently at 11 pitchers, then I can see a guy like Salazar having a place.

Set your personal biases aside and please show logical reasons why Andino and Pie are of no help to our future, please.

And contention for a team never hinges on your 25th man. I'm sorry, but it doesn't.

To add to your point and give a little perspective, Oscar leads the the AL with pinch hits.......with 4. Yes, I agree that the four he had were important to us, but in the AL your last bench player may be important, but I agree it does not make or break a contending team.

To add to your point and give a little perspective, Oscar leads the the AL with pinch hits.......with 4. Yes, I agree that the four he had were important to us, but in the AL your last bench player may be important, but I agree it does not make or break a contending team.

A great point. Not only could Salazar possibly get everyday at bats, which he simply wouldn't get with the O's barring injuries, but he could, if nothing else, provide a decent bat off the bench for the Padres. In the National League, that matters. In the AL, it doesn't.

For Salazar to make a difference, and to have any value, with the Orioles, he would need to play every day. His defensive liabilities simply didn't allow that. You can't bench guys like Huff, Scott, and Wigginton in favor of Salazar because they have proven track records, not to mention they obviously have significant contracts.

This was a 25th man with no options. It makes no sense to criticize the team for letting him go. Honestly, it's impressive that they were able to get anyone with options that has significant ML experience (however mediocre it may be). For JTrea and anyone else upset about this, it's best to spend your time on other battles - I could see the Orioles making some bad trades or non-trades at the deadline, but this is not one of them.

Settle down, Beavis.

Look, the deal here is for roster flexibility, its not for production. I doubt that Meredith sees much time with the O's. He might be here for a bit but I'd bank on the fact that he's not part of the 2010 OD bullpen.

Salazar might catch on, he might not. He might make us look stupid for trading him and bust out somewhere else but I wouldn't bank on it.

I can agree with this.

I'll take that bet. In fact I'll give you odds that he's on next year's OD roster.

I agree with this last statement. I really don't understand why Salazar was added to the 25 man roster when we knew he couldn't clear waivers again.

While I though Salazar was a good bench piece, I am happy for him that he can go to a team that will most likely keep him on the roster all season long. He deserves to stay on a roster and he wasnt going to get that in Baltimore.

Just because we traded a 31 yr old for a 26 year old with options, doesn't automatically make that 26 year old useful. Look at Meredith's stats. He has a horrible WHIP away this year and a poor one overall, and the rest of his stats have continously been getting worse. What makes Meredith better than a Jim Miller or a Bob McCrory or a Jim Hoey? He's a dime a dozen reliever that you can find easily IMO. Salazar's bat is not that easy to replace no matter how many times people say he's a "Ken Phelps AS". The Orioles have continously underrated that exact type of player.

I think we will find when all is said and done, that this was a loss for the Orioles because of poor roster management...

Archived