Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

Salazar could have been a piece to the future, Andino, Pie and Meredith are not IMO. Do we reallly need to worry about roster flexibility on a team going nowhere this season. Shouldn't we worry about keeping potential pieces that can be part of a contending team, instead of keeping projects that haven't filled their potential?

Sometimes I feel like you absolutely just LIVE for stuff like this to happen so you can come on here with your irrational guns blazing.

So let me get this straight... ah, you know what?

Nevermind. By all means, continue pulling down your pants. :laughlol:

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because we traded a 31 yr old for a 26 year old with options, doesn't automatically make that 26 year old useful. Look at Meredith's stats. He has a horrible WHIP away this year and a poor one overall, and the rest of his stats have continously been getting worse. What makes Meredith better than a Jim Miller or a Bob McCrory or a Jim Hoey? He's a dime a dozen reliever that you can find easily. Salazar's bat is not that easy to replace no matter how many times people say he's a "Ken Phelps AS". The Orioles have continously underrated that exact type of player.

I think we will find when all is said and done, that this was a loss for the Orioles because of poor roster management...

Yep, the O's mismanaged the roster horribly. They had a guy who hit .328 in a full year in AAA, the followed that up by hitting an astounding .347 in a partial year in AAA. Called the guy up for a cup of coffee, but didn't give him a real shot. Sure, he was a journeyman who probably didn't deserve a MLB roster spot in his mid-20s, but sometimes players are late bloomers. And when a guy can play multiple positions as well as DH you'd think someone could find a role for him. It really is too bad.

Of course, I'm talking about Carlos Mendez, not Oscar Salazar. The year is 2004, and the impact from losing him is still being felt... well... maybe in the Carlos Mendez household.

Just because we traded a 31 yr old for a 26 year old with options, doesn't automatically make that 26 year old useful. Look at Meredith's stats. He has a horrible WHIP away this year and a poor one overall, and the rest of his stats have continously been getting worse. What makes Meredith better than a Jim Miller or a Bob McCrory or a Jim Hoey? He's a dime a dozen reliever that you can find easily IMO. Salazar's bat is not that easy to replace no matter how many times people say he's a "Ken Phelps AS". The Orioles have continously underrated that exact type of player.

I think we will find when all is said and done, that this was a loss for the Orioles because of poor roster management...

Come on, buddy. You make it sound like we traded away Mark "t-bag" Teixeira. This is Oscar freakin' Salazar we're talking about here. :D

Just because we traded a 31 yr old for a 26 year old with options, doesn't automatically make that 26 year old useful. Look at Meredith's stats. He has a horrible WHIP away this year and a poor one overall, and the rest of his stats have continously been getting worse. What makes Meredith better than a Jim Miller or a Bob McCrory or a Jim Hoey? He's a dime a dozen reliever that you can find easily IMO. Salazar's bat is not that easy to replace no matter how many times people say he's a "Ken Phelps AS". The Orioles have continously underrated that exact type of player.

Why don't you look at little closer at his stats, even though they argue counter to your opinion?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7613&position=P

His BABIP is .355 thus far this year, his GB% right now is 62% (has been as high as 72% in the recent past) and his FIP has never exceeded 4.00 since 2006.

Again, continue railing away. :rolleyes:

Come on, buddy. You make it sound like we traded away Mark "t-bag" Teixeira. This is Oscar freakin' Salazar we're talking about here. :D

It's a quality bench player that could have helped you in the future that you traded for a dime a dozen reliever.

Salazar may not have been able to play defense, but he at least could play multiple positions, and his bat made up for the lack of defense. He was an impact bat off the bench, and we need those more than we need what Pie and Andino offer. The Orioles have Turner and Davis, and Fiorentino to replace those two.

The O's don't have another Salazar.

It's a quality bench player that could have helped you in the future that you traded for a dime a dozen reliever.

Salazar may not have been able to play defense, but he at least could play multiple positions, and his bat made up for the lack of defense. He was an impact bat off the bench, and we need those more than we need what Pie and Andino offer. The Orioles have Turner and Davis, and Fiorentino to replace those two.

The O's don't have another Salazar.

Sure they do.

But that one plays better defense, so maybe you're onto something. :rolleyes:

Did you look at Meredith's stats before this year or is this the only year that matters to you?

Keeping Pie over Salazar is obvious to 99% of the people on the board and in the baseball world.

Salazar is no more of a long term option than Meredith is...We will probably be able to pick Salazar back up sometime in the next year anyway....And if not him, we will be able to pick up several guys just like him.

Relievers that are 26 and have had 3 good ML seasons are a lot harder to find than 31 y/o journeyman bench players.

Ugh, why do we bother?

You guys can't help yourselves... you're masochists. :D

And really, while this debate of opinions as to the quality of this deal could be argued (by the JTrea fan base), isn't it premature to do so now as this move could be the precurser to other moves that in the bigger picture could/would/will be consider good/great?

Andino has filled in very admirably for Izturis, he's not a total bust with the bat. He could very well be our backup middle infielder for the future.

C'mon Moose, Andino has an OPS+ of 41. The kid's a much better fielder than I had hoped but let's not make excuses about his bat.

I view this trade as *meh* (I guess that would be one way to abbreviate Meredith)

Let's put the discussion of Salazar aside for a moment.

Perhaps someone can give us several good reasons why we should be excited about a guy with an ERA below league average, coming out of Petco Pitchers Park.

C'mon Moose, Andino has an OPS+ of 41. The kid's a much better fielder than I had hoped but let's not make excuses about his bat.

I view this trade as *meh* (I guess that would be one way to abbreviate Meredith)

Let's put the discussion of Salazar aside for a moment.

Perhaps someone can give us several good reasons why we should be excited about a guy with an ERA below league average, coming out of Petco Pitchers Park.

I don't know that we should be excited, but we most certainly shouldn't be despondent.

Horrible trade for the Orioles. This is the worst trade that MacPhail has made since the Bradford deal. This is an example of poor roster management, and a typical Orioles move of the past.

Meredith is a mediocre pitcher in a pitcher's park. Salazar was a cheap power bat off the bench.

I'd rather lose Andino or Pie than Salazar.

What a waste! :cussing:

Are you just saying things now to get attention? Do you just want to say something "controversial" so that people will say "How can you say that?" I guess to some people, even bad attention is better than no attention. I use to actually enjoy reading your posts even though I noticed others didn't. Now you just seem to have come a parody of yourself. :cussing:

Archived