Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some ridiculously cliched sounding country song. I suppose someone else might enjoy it, but I was speaking in terms of Meredith being a "red neck".

Gotcha. Some southern rock seems appropriate.

I like this deal.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7613&position=P

62% GB percentage, has been as high as 72% in the recent past.

Sporting a .355 BABIP thus far this year. The guy will get groundballs... they've just been finding holes this year, apparently. Doesn't really give up home runs.

This appears to be a pretty good deal for Salazar, a guy w/out a position who can hit.

Best of luck to Oscar. Hey, he's going to San Diego... it could be MUCH worse!!!!!

This is another small but very solid move by AM.

First of all, it gives the Orioles another experienced BP arm but one who is still young.

Now, he has some alarming trends lately..His K rate has been going down and his walk rate has been going up...He gets a ton of grounders. Coming into this season, his H/R ERA splits were almost identical. His FIP has never been above 4.

His walks are up but he doesn't walk a lot of batters and doesn't give up homers.

Lefties have hit him well over the last 4 years...Righties have struggled...He really is Bradford.

Plus, on top of all of this, it gives us another arm in the pen(who has options) that makes it even easier to deal Baez and/or Sherrill.

Not that we NEEDED that extra arm but it allows AM to make a deal and still put an experienced, decent reliever in there to take the place..It keeps up with the idea of trying to still win the rest of the year...Almost a buy and sell idea.

I am sorry to see Oscar go but he isn't any kind of a loss either...He will do well in the NL...He actually is in a better spot to succeed than he was here, so everyone should be happy for him.

I don't mind the deal... Meredith is still fairly young, and if he figures things out, he could be a nice trading chip in future seasons.

So, we find out we're getting this guy, and it takes about 7 minutes for somebody to be looking to trade him.

Aren't baseball players supposed to play some baseball first?

This guy has been going in the wrong direction for three years but he's still young so I can't complain about trying to rehab him for just the cost of a thirty-something backup utility guy who wasn't even on the 40 man at the beginning of the season. Pitching is just so important you have to take every reasonable opportunity to acquire it.

Archived