Oscar goes to..The Padres for RP Cla Meredith

pasadena

I don't think you're in any position to write them off. ;)

:laughlol: have to disagree, though. The Padres can easily be written off. They couldn't make the PCL playoffs this year. If they played in our division, they would have a record as bad as the Nationals. Granted, they've had a ton of injuries, but that is a really bad team.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because he's not a full time player and they just envision him as a PH?

Kouzmanoff is not a good 3B, so maybe they resting him some. Kind of odd, since Padres are out of it. Not sure what they envision him.

If they want to replace/spell Kouzmanoff at 3B then Salazar is the last person they should turn to--Oscar's defense is poor at 3B, and they have Chase Headley and a bunch of good 3B prospects in their system in any event.

I agree, this is a weird trade for SD to make. Maybe they think can flip him to a contender who needs a deluxe pinch hitter, but if that's the case why wouldn't the O's have just traded him to a contender?

We'll have to wait and see how this deal turns out. But the fact we could get something we can actually use for a guy like Oscar Salazar is pretty impressive. Nothing against Oscar, but count me surprised we could get a bullpen candidate for a 31 year old journey man.

We'll have to wait and see how this deal turns out. But the fact we could get something we can actually use for a guy like Oscar Salazar is pretty impressive. Nothing against Oscar, but count me surprised we could get a bullpen candidate for a 31 year old journey man.

I agree...I bet the Pads have a guy like Salazar in their system or could make the short drive to Mexico and find one in the leagues down there...For us to get a guy that has been a pretty reliable BP arm and is only 26 is a good move.

:laughlol: have to disagree, though. The Padres can easily be written off. They couldn't make the PCL playoffs this year. If they played in our division, they would have a record as bad as the Nationals. Granted, they've had a ton of injuries, but that is a really bad team.

And the O's are in last palce. My point is that the padres will be in the playoffs before the O's will. Since the O's ahve ot fight in the AL EAst.

Judging by Kevin Towers's comments, I think he believes Salazar can fill in at SS and 2B. He said Salazar could play 7 positions. He seems to have wanted a bat that could play everywhere if not particularly well. They have had a ton of injuries and I think they just wanted a body to help stop the bleeding.

And the O's are in last palce. My point is that the padres will be in the playoffs before the O's will. Since the O's ahve ot fight in the AL EAst.

Yeah, but the Pads will probably only have Salazar for the season, and they're sure as heck not fighting for anything this year. :laughlol:

Because he's not a full time player and they just envision him as a PH?

Kouzmanoff is not a good 3B, so maybe they resting him some. Kind of odd, since Padres are out of it. Not sure what they envision him.

The Padres are trying to move Kouzmanoff so they can play Headley at 3B.

Judging by Kevin Towers's comments, I think he believes Salazar can fill in at SS and 2B. He said Salazar could play 7 positions. He seems to have wanted a bat that could play everywhere if not particularly well. They have had a ton of injuries and I think they just wanted a body to help stop the bleeding.

Thank god someone decided to answer the question.

1) NL teams rely much more heavily on pinch hitters than AL teams, Oscar will get a fair bit of playing time in San Diego. This should be exactly what he's hoping for.

2) The injury to Edgar Gonzalez may have helped this trade along.

3) The Pads are desperate for power in an anemic lineup. Adrian Gonzalez is the only person on their team hitting their weight, and he's been slumping lately. Salazar would definitely be a good person for the pads to have bat in the middle of the lineup occasionally.

4) Cla Meredith isn't exactly a huge loss, I was under the impression he was wearing his welcome out in SD.

Well maybe so but better for Oscar. At least he is on a better team. Closer to the playoffs than the O's are.

Only 2 teams have a worse record then the Padres, how are they closer to the playoffs and better then the O's? 37-55 and 21 GB of 1st is better then the Orioles 41-50 and 14 GB?

Only 2 teams have a worse record then the Padres, how are they closer to the playoffs and better then the O's? 37-55 and 21 GB of 1st is better then the Orioles 41-50 and 14 GB?

It's easier to walk slightly uphill for mile than it is to climb 50 feet up the side of a mountain. /metaphor

Archived