Marlins, Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Angels in on Sherrill - Per Rosenthal

phattybeers

The Orioles' acquisition of Padres right-hander Cla Meredith on Sunday is not necessarily a precursor to a trade of left-handed closer George Sherrill.

I cannot imagine in my wildest imagination that it would be...

Who would replace Sherrill as closer I wonder? There's nobody on the farm who looks ready. Would it be Johnson for now? Are they thinking Koji when he comes back (very intriguing possibility)?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles' acquisition of Padres right-hander Cla Meredith on Sunday is not necessarily a precursor to a trade of left-handed closer George Sherrill.

I cannot imagine in my wildest imagination that it would be...

Who would replace Sherrill as closer I wonder? There's nobody on the farm who looks ready. Would it be Johnson for now? Are they thinking Koji when he comes back (very intriguing possibility)?

5th place teams don't need closers.

They do if you don't want to go 4-24 to finish the season. Like AM has said he really wants to avoid.

We had the same closer last year.

A 33 save, sub-3 era closer in '06.

BJ Ryan in '05.

Julio had 25 (and a sub 2 era) and 36 close seasons back to back.

I repeat...5th place teams don't need closers.

Taylor Green isn't a main piece, but I agree that I'd love to have him.

A Cubs package could potentially be centered around 21-year old AA RHSP Jay Jackson along with someone like 2B/SS/3B'man Ryan Flaherty or SS Hak-Ju Lee.

I promise you the Cubs are not considering giving up 2 of their top 10 prospects. Especially Jay Jackson who is either their 2 or 3 best prospect. I admit I don't know how long is left on Sherril's contract, but I could see something along the lines of Darwin Barney and Marquez Smith along with a bullpen arm moved for Sherril. Darwin is very good defensively. He's pretty much Ryan Theriot with a stronger arm and better defensive instincts. Marquez Smith's numbers don't look great, but he's been performing much better lately and learning to take walks. This trade gives the O's a possible long term SS and 3B both of which I believe they lack.

They do if you don't want to go 4-24 to finish the season. Like AM has said he really wants to avoid.

The closer would have very little to do with finishing 4-24. If it happened, most of those losses would be decided long before the ninth inning.

Over 60 games, for a .500 team, the difference between a good closer and a replacement level pitcher is probably no more than 3-4 wins. That's being generous.

And the Orioles aren't even a .500 team. Over August and September, the O's closer might have 15 save opportunities. Of those, probably no more than than 7 or 8 will be one-run games. You could hand the ball to Albers or Hendrickson in those games and still save at least four or five. But that wouldn't be necessary; the O's would just hand the job to Johnson, and he'll probably be almost as effective as Sherrill would have been. (Being a closer isn't that much different from being the eighth-inning setup guy).

So what you are really losing is the setup guy. Again, you just fill the hole with the next guy down the line. The overall effect is not going to suddenly cause the Orioles to go from a .500 team to just collapsing.

Archived